Yet another customs duty question

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Feb 23, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

My friend has already bought it for me..dunno which store. Damn..if only you'd told me earlier:(. Anyways, since I'm going there, I might check out the shop just in case.

2. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

There are two outlets for Swee Lee. One is at the bras basah complex and the other one I cannot remember.

3. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

My Parker came by courier and it was held at the customs. I was only asked to pay 17% of the total value. I got this waived too with some smooth talks. But I dont think it's 40%.

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Lucky you. Actually, the customs officers hold a lot of discretionary powers too. I guess being convinced that the guitar was not for resale, they asked you to pay only the 15% basic (now reduced to 12.5% in the latest budget) and 2% educational cess, and waived off the MRP based countervailing duty. You are luckier in the sense that she waived off the basic customs too, I guess in her observation she will show it as a low value used piece. Bottomline is, you should actually buy her some flowers. very lucky.
    PS: Take my word, it is 37.664%, and if you get a bad assessing officer, you could ed up paying much more.

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I remember reading a long time ago in some government tariffs and rates pdf that the custom duty was 15% for electric guitars and if i remember correctly 20% for amps. I thought this was right for a while but later found out it was around 40%. I'm assuming that most people dont sell the guitars that they import then why are they charging 40%, you mentioned guitars not for resale only at 15%. Are they assuming that it's being imported for its sale.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^^^^
    Yes.