*** WTF is this thing?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Apr 5, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

O where is the scope for speculation?
    I mentioned taht I found out - it is a BASS.

2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

That is a BASS GUITAR

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Thats an emphasised version of a CHAPMAN STICK.

4. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

^^ naah..chapman sticks are essentially 10 stringed instruments...with no body at all...just the fret board...and of course...this guy doesnt seem to be using it fer the 'two handed' purpose

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Its a Warr guitar me thinks. Trey Gunn uses it, so does Myung when he plays New Millenium. Not too sure though.

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Nope. This is a standard bass only. The Warr guitar and Chapman stick typically dont have the standard string arrangement we are used to, as in the strings are not ascending in pitch throughout. Basically they have a set of guitar strings in the standard config (or in fifths) and then a set of bass strings in the opposite direction..essentially this is so that when you play two-handed stuff (which is what those instruments are made for), your right hand (if you play right handed) can play chords with the same fingering that you would normally play andyou don't have to figure out your chords or licks in reverse.
    A possible Stick tuning would be:

B
    G
    D
    A
    E
    One octave lower:
    E
    A
    D
    G
    B
    E
    However, the 8-string Sticks and some Warr guitars do have standard tuning as well.
    This bass looks like a Conklin, Benavente or JP to me. alpha1, bataa kaunse website se dekha.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well I think I must have seen it on Harmony-Central or RSJ.

Dont remember :cry1:

8. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

is it something similar to the thing tony levis played in liquid tension experiment??

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Nope, thats what a Warr guitar is. As abhijit pointed out, this aint that one.

10. abhijitnath

Tony Levin plays a Chapman Stick, Trey Gunn plays a Warr Guitar.They are instruments based on the same funda, but different companies. The Warr Guitar has a body, unlike the Stick.

11. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

and isnt the chapman stick tuned using perfect fourths???

12. abhijitnath

The Stick website has around 10-15 types of tunings. You can take your pick.:)

13. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

I agree. Gear Discussion is meant to discuss gears - but there is random cr@p like "what is an electric guitar" or "how do I know the difference between my mouth and my @ss"...I hope the mods do a better job - but some of the mod posts are also simialr....:mad: