women's cricket world cup

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by madhura, Mar 21, 2005.

1. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

hey ppl,
    just making you all aware of this. yeah it exists ( its 8'th world cup ) .....
    and, its starting tomorrow.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/icc/events/wwc2005/

there are only 8 teams ( eng., aussi., nz., shrilanka ,west indies, s africa, ireland and INDIA ) no paki team ....
    we are having our first match with lanka, tomorrow.
    aussies won it 4 times :shock: , eng. 2 times and nz 1 .... lets see what happens this year .....
    there are tons of reasons why women's cricket is not popular.... media being top most i guess...
    even now ,tickets / entry for all matches is FREE, except final ( thank god atleast not final ) . but still final is just for 20R (around 3 US $ ):shock: .....
    i hope that will change soon.

shak likes this.
  2. smriti

smriti // Silent Observer //

yeah............somewhat media is responsible for that but then i think it is the mindset of people which is not allowing it to become popular, not only cricket but every other sport.
    and madhura its good that the entry is free except for the finals, otherwise what so ever popularity it has gained so far, would vanish soon, if you talk of country like ours.

3. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

The problem is... one dont seem to find the range of entertainment in Women's Cricket as in Men's!
    You hardly see any lusty shots being played... or any extraordinary fielding!
    All you see is low-scoring games!

One foremost reason that cricket is a common mans game... is due to its simplicity to understand the scoring phenomenon!

Other games... like Tennis, Billiards, Golf.. require a fair amount of time to understand how the scoring takes place...which people dont have time for!

Regarding football & hockey... the scoring is simple... but the wait is EVERLASTING for that one Goal...and i think, people get frustrated waiting for it!!

Thats the foremost reason, i feel, people like CRICKET... or you can say its the only game they understand better!

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

4. madhura

bad things happening .....
    because of rain all 4 matches washed out on day 1 :( ......
    and there are no reserve days for first round matches.... so all teams got 3 points.....
    no matte rhow hard i am trying to develop interest in it.... its getting disappointing :(

5. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

womens cricket...well i wouldnt mind watchin it..if there was a proper coverage..
    plus womens cricket is still in its early stages..
    the situation can only improve.
    tho i really hope INDIA wins the tournament..
    but i heard the indian players get payed peanuts.
    somethin like 500 rupees per match..plz correct me if i am wrong.

6. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Yeah.. I think s too...
    Women can do whatever they want man... and like, every1 shud wisen up to this...

7. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

chance for the women to shine!:)

8. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

anjum chopra used to be very cool

9. madhura

so....
    we won against ireland and south africa till now. also because of rain we got all points vs. lanka .....
    tomorrow we'll be playing against england ... lets see what happens .....
    indian women are getting better at cricket :)

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

icc has merged with womens cricket.. but bcci is unwilling to merge with womens board in inda.. poor women have no money.. all money is with BCCI.. and india W has won like 18 of the last 21 ODIs... doesnt that suck

11. madhura

we won against england too :) ....
    go india go .....

i now prefer reading this scorecard rather than watching the test vs. paki's ......
    :disappointed:

12. madhura

in fifth round we lost to newzeland :( :( ...
    there are two more rounds before semis.....
    hope for the best ......

13. madhura

i know, nobody is interested in this stuff... but still ,few ppl will skim thro' it , just to see what the heck is new post about .....
    ppl you should feel proud.....
    so we reached semis .... and we are having our semi final against newzeeland ( last world cup winners ) on thrusday .....
    the other semi is between aussies and england women ......

go india go ....

14. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

funny.. i nevr got 2 read this in da papers.. maybe ovrlookd it.. nice thing u postin this stuff..
    go madh.. :grin:.. sry.. go india go.. :)

15. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

wut abt Mixed Cricket world cup !!!!!

16. Nayan

Nayan .:Humblebee Jumble:.

That is some relentless effort...

I got to know about the world cup from my collegue when India beat England. She was the one to tell me about India beating her country(England)... Have been updated just now by her that England have got an early wicket after australia got them all out for 158.

Hope the Devi's do the trick, like our Dev in the 1983 world cup.

Go India Go...

17. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

looks like indias gonna be in the finals.
    replay of world cup 2003..aus vs india

18. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Congratulations, we are in the finals now!
    Another India-Australia world cup final!!
    hope the girls do better than the guys
    (like they always do in India.. in academics etc.)

19. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

is womens cricket as interesting to watch tho?

20. madhura

i haven't watched lately... but its definately interesting to play tho' ;) .....
    yeah i do play, whenever i get chance ( but with tennis ball :p: )