Why do you like.....

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by jamhead, Apr 30, 2005.

?

what do you think of bhangra ??

1. god's own music !!

6.9%
  2. rivals some of the finer forms of indian music like classical and carnatic.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. better than other forms of indian music like rajasthani folk music, thumri, gazhal & bhajan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. can at times be as good as some of the old hindi playback songs of r.d.burman days

10.3%
  5. better than current hindi film songs of kumar shanu and a.r. rahman

6.9%
  6. one lousy form of music - the crassest and thickest mucic

3.4%
  7. meant for truck drivers at best.

13.8%
  8. india's answer to rap. techno and hip-hop - only much worse than all of them

17.2%
  9. swearwords fail me !! i am "lost for swearwords"

24.1%
  10. Other (please specify - reps for witty replies - go for this)

17.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

BHANGRA music/noise... so much ?

here are two exerpts from my dairy that very nicely convey my thoughts about this refined artform called bhangra:

1) on the way to mcleodgunj in himachal pradesh from delhi

Our bus had speakers on all seats (fixed to the roof) - none of which worked - thus sparing us the discomfort of being exposed to some highly potent (and possibly radioactive) bhangra-pop noise, that’s an irritating hallmark of these tourist buses. :cen:

2) during a river cruise on the mandovi river in goa:

The many “pairs” kept on dancing whilst elbowing each other for more floor space, when the music changed from third rate Hindi film song, to the crassest of Punjabi bhangra, which is in my opinion is a genre worse than rap even - and rap itself is only one letter short of crap!! Mercifully we reached the shore within a couple of minutes and while the “pairs” still danced on and the band still dished out their potent bhangra and the announcer bid us all goodnight, the non-pairs among us climbed down, surely no one more relieved to get away from the noise than me.

:mad:

so why do you like/love/hate/swear at or swear by, bhangra? :think:

what do you have to say about it as a type of music ? :think:

and what do you have to say about the people who prefer bhangra-poppers more than lesser artists like mark knopfler and lata mangeshkar ?? :think:

2. acousticdreamer

acousticdreamer ΩUNPLUGGEDΩ

Bhangra, is a tragic chapter in the history of Indian music.

Some of the culprits are:

Daler Mehndi, Sukhbir, Mika (the biggest DUD I have ever seen!) :mad: , AMITABH BACCHAN :p: , Sudesh Bhonsle...and many more (don't care to remember their names)

May their voices rest in peace. Amen.

jamhead likes this.
  3. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

I don't like Bhangra music at all. Why - To me, it is just a collection of Punjabi words put together without a tune. I haven't ever heard a Bhangra song of some quality. Can't really call it music. :mad:

4. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

as is typical of me - i added a poll.

make use of it !!

5. Taifi

Taifi New Member

i like bhangra esp abrar-ul-haq and the uk bhangra eg, punjabi mc

6. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

yeah me too.....i like RDB and rishi rich

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i hate bhangra giri music.i hate all of them xept for this special and completly unique international bhangra hit.....husan vs bhangra knights - husan.it god damn rulez!i first heard it in some indian peugot ad.

8. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

you put kumar sanu and a r rehman together.
    ar rehman shouldnt be underrated.
    and his tamoil songs are way better than his hindi songs.
    also i hate bangra

9. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

i put them together not cos i cant tell their walks of life apart, but cos they often team up to produce songs - more than that i used them to typify this generation - as different from that of r.d.burman.

tamoil is a oil company based in texas or thereabouts. i doubt a.rrahman has anythig to do with them !!

10. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I really like some of the bhangra songs.....tho i'm not a very big fan of the genre as such....i don't know why people hate it so much....it's meant for dance ...not to play guitar on(atleast not conventionally!!).....
    Sometimes i think i prefer listening to it than old hindi songs.....*yawn*.....

11. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

i hate bhangra songs........
    they just play the dance musik......n sing bluh bluh....
    their lyrics are all abt... kuriyan.....n praising them

12. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Absolute correct!!
    :cool:

13. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

bhangra is not a everytime music , cant lissen to it all the time !!!

sometimes is okay --- ...

14. light_of_erindi

so wat do u want?....something about saving the world or some depressed weener showing how "true" his feelings r?...gimme a break..... bhangra is meant for freakout and dance .....it's not supposed to be anything groundbreaking.......:)

15. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

bhangra is as crass in subject and sound as any sort of music can ever get.... it is for, by and of the "thick as a brick" sorts.....

african tribal dances are more civilized efforts.....rap is less slapstick....bhangra is the staple of truck drivers and the bovine and/or boorish dispositions amongst our society. a shame and disgrace to indian music. period.

16. light_of_erindi

please jamhead...why do u become so aggressive all the time if someone does not agree with u?!! Chill...
    listen to something like kangna - acoustic mix .... maybe that will change ur impression of Bhangra.
    p.s. - I'm not Punjabi :)

17. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

that post of mine wasn't in response to you !!

thats precisely how i feel about bhangra - am i not entitled to my opinion like you are ?

b4 my last post, i never really expressed mine explicitly (though i am the thread starter) - only posted exerpts from my diary!!

18. light_of_erindi

cool......:)it's not that i'm a big fan of bhangra as such but i really like some selected songs....

19. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

bhangra... hmm....

Bhangra is not meant for ppl who have smelly armpits - ugh... the room stinks when everyone raises their arms and does the balley-balley....

20. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

bhangra originally is good.i listened to some of the old songs at my neighbours place, but some songs suck!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.