why are nirvana so overrated

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by sanat_satan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. sanat_satan

sanat_satan New Member

i always wanted to know...why do people like nirvana??
    what do people like about their music?

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Apparently Kurt Cobain's lyrics are very personal (I think they suck) and attracts angsty kids. Musically Nirvana are below-average in my eyes. No impressive drum fills, average riffs, crap solos (if any). Why they are so popular is beyond me.

3. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

^You put it the best way possible.

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

@DMF, couldn't have put it better.

5. tejas

tejas ..........

Oh, i don't know. Maybe if Cobain hadn't killed himself, they would be less popular. But that would also mean, years of torture for us.

6. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u guys r all so demented :) . just listen to their songs. nirvana killed gnr and all the other 80s bands, and started the grunge revolution. they made alternative music mainstream. if u r not into grunge, and consider all that noise then thats ok (i am sure u hate death metal too) but do check out some of the cool chord progressions in nirvana songs.. which u wont find anywhere else. my only complain with seattle is that i landed here 5 years after Cobains death, but i am thankful that his music still lives on here in the northwest

7. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

Nirvana is tecnically very strong
    they use unconventional tabs n chords....
    they musik n lyrics are unique
    they r revolutionary in bringin the Alternative rock musik

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Jerry Cantrell and Layne Staley PUMMEL cobain when it comes to song writing. Because of Nirvana, bands like Soundgarden, Mudhoneys and Alice in Chains were overlooked.

9. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

someone said nirvana made average music...(something about no solos or something).... i guess you would rather be listening to kiss or some crap like that now with all the make up and histrionics.. cobain wore friggin tweed jacket sweaters in concerts... yeah nirvanas riffs arent too frantic or too complicated.... but id rather listen to a four chord song like "smells like .." rather than listen to whatever band your into playing every scale in the book in a million note a minute thrashathon....
    as ozzy said ..the music you make should make the listener want to go buy a guitar and play the song
    so if you own a guitar dont tell me youve never tried playing a nirvana...

10. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Nice points dude, i have to agree with you there......

11. guns n roses

they didnt kill GN'R seriously GN'R was BETTER in my opinion. Axl and Kurt may have been enemies but ask any1 Look at nirvana's songs and GN'R songs, GN'R isnt 'average'. They're Great. Dont try comparing the 2 either. Grunge VS. 80's Rock. Easily Slash was a better guitarist than Kurt taking the Guitarist/vocal spot. Axl even started playing guitar as of 2002. He's really good now. I like Nirvana's song "Smells Like...." but i never will like the band. they totally sold thereself out like Metallica. Nirvana could never get down Sweet Child, even with 1 more guitarist. :cool:

12. guns n roses

@call of ktulu - i played sells like teen spirit but it was so easy i dropped it. i mean the whole song not jus the riff.

13. guns n roses

also i agree with Tejas, if he hadnt taken a shotgun 2 his head, he eould be filth, jus low-lying filth, people would get sick of their music. They would also be constantly battling GN'R which would destroy Nirvana. A 5 member band vs. a 3 member band doesn't work. And i know some of u out there prefer Smells like... over Sweet Child, that's cool but i clearly cannot see whats better in teen spirit.

Nirvana: :shutup:

14. guns n roses

i can be quite a debater :)

15. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

Nirvana suck .. . gnr rule .. .

16. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

no1's comparin gnr with nirvana..

but wht evr u ppl say..
    i don think its fair 2 call nirvana trash.. if they were so they wudnt hav had so many fans all ovr da world... they hav their own style..

and dont tell me u dont like "come as u r" or some of their othr hits.. i aint a terrific fan of nirvana.. but u just cant ignore tht guy ... He is KURT KOBAIN..

"its better to burn out than fade away"..
    tht says it all.. that is class.

17. sanat_satan

sanat_satan New Member

its insane to compare gnr with nirvana...and i dont like any of nirvana's songs

18. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I like both..... each have their own style....But i feel GNR is a bit aggressive in their lyrics and music too

" U wanna antagonise me motherf*cker..... antagonise me!!!" - Axl (i dont' remember the song tho.. :) )
    ...while Nirvana r a bit mid tempo....drowsy....depressed...angry but can't do anything about it ... kinda stuff....

19. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Listening to Nirvana should make me buy a guitar? Puh-lease...

If you want to listen to simple four-chord structured songs, go right ahead. I find comfort listening to music that actually takes some skill to execute.

Oh and I'd listen to old KISS stuff over Nirvana ANY DAMN DAY!

20. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

why do people fixate on smells like??...it was just an example.. every song of nirvana is playable..
    besides,apart from the fact that the guys from GNR and nirvana did every drug known.... they played completely different kinds of music... i can play the solo in november rain.. but its not "fun"..not when im squinting at my fretboard to see what im playing..
    fun is screaming and playing a song like territorial pissings... just a few power chords strung together...
    im not saying GNR is bad... its just that nirvana is badass...