Whihc Guitar would you choose? and why?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jocelyn, Mar 23, 2006.

?

Which guitar would you choose

1. Alder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Basswood

66.7%
  3. Other

33.3%
  1. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Given a choice between two elctric guitars, one made of ALDER WOOD and the Other of BASS WOOD which one would you choose and why considering all the other options on the guitar are the same i.e pickup configration hardware neck profile ext.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

If I have to pay for it, then I'd go for Mahagony. If I get them for free, I wont mind Alder or Basswood.

3. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok Ronnie suppose u have a choice between A FREE Guitar made of BASSWOD and a FREE Guitar made of Alder, all HARDWARE AND pickup configration the same what would u choose

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Uh, i'd take both?

5. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

oh come on I said given a choice between them and why

6. ronnieanand

For free guitar, I want both and that too two pieces of each of 'em.... I will take any hardware that comes with it... If I like it I will keep it else sell it on eBay or create a "Gear Available" thread here in IGT. :beer: :beer:

7. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I'd go for Basswood cause it seems to be lighter than alder and apparently gives a round kinda sound which i prefer.

Here's something i found on the jemsite
    Basswood:
    Basswood is a soft wood with tight grains. Its relatively inexpensive of all the usual guitar woods, and it’s easy on router bits in the factory, easy to sand, and easy to seal and finish. The softness of basswood means that sharp highs are dampened and smoothened. That helps offset the tinny sound associated with knife edged tremolo contacts. The softness also fosters a weaker low end. It’s light in weight, but not because of large pores. Rather it’s low in mass overall. Deep, breathy sub-lows aren’t resonated in Basswood. The reduction in these outer frequencies leaves the mids pronounced in a hypothetical response curve. Its very suitable for the typical guitar range, and very suitable for lead guitar, because of its pronounced “out front” sound. Complex overtones are muted along with the highs leaving a strong fundamental tone.

Production notes: Japanese factories like Ibanez seem to get a tan colored, more uniform Basswood while other Asian factories get a more flawed yellowish basswood. And there seems to be a big difference in tone. A clearer, darker Basswood should produce more sound, while the yellowish lower grade seems to have more of the undesirable tonal qualities of Poplar. A hardtail emphasizes the reduced dynamics of the outer frequencies.

8. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

good info sridhar./...thnx;)

9. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

@Jocelyn
    Those ur guitars,in ur avtaR??????

i'd go in for Basswood

10. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

You mean the same undesirable properties people go ga-ga over in the Parker Fly?
    See most of this stuff is a moot point..there is no 'better' or worse. What are you looking to play? What kind of stuff do you like tonally? How much does weight matter to youWhat kind of finish is there on your guitar? If its the Fender Strat type thick car paint finish, then what resonant properties of the wood will be audible through the mix? And where does this leave Lou Reed and EVH's Steinbergers with graphite necks, no headstocks and hardly-there bodies?
    That being said, I like the light weight of alder, so that's ok with me for a Strat-type guitar.

11. ronnieanand

Dude, Fender is a very resonant guitar. Even without unplugging, the resonance and feel is so very nice... It's very true if you talk about Ibanez guitars... They have nearly half an inch layer of filler, paint and wood is lost inside those thick layers..

12. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Thats not my view about poplar. Its an excerpt from a Jemsite article. The only reason i like Basswood is caus its cheap and lighter than the rest. Frankly i dont care what wood my guitar is made of as long as the sound is'nt too thin. The amount of wood used also comes in here so. Wood used is more in Les Pauls than strats so obviously les pauls are warmer sounding than strats.

13. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Parker guitars are made from Poplar, mahogany, alder Basswod ext depending on the model u choose. I am very well aware of the tonal properties of both Alder and Basswood. The reason I asked the Q is beacuse I really wanted to know what Guitar most of you would choose. And Yes it is very important of what materials are used to construct your guitar. Your guiatr will sound very diff when playing in your bedroom, while playing a gig with other instruments involed and while palying a Show. Also if your guitar is made out of good Quality ALDER or BAsswood or MAhogany Or Koa or Korina ( Korina is always good :)) then things like pickups ext can always be upgraded.
    This what I love above abouth Basswood.. EXTREMLY Light, u can litrilay pickup a guiatr made of basswood with three fingers! and its got nice Warm tone, and I love warm sounds.
    But the bad point for Basswood is that it is soft and cannot take abuse easily. Yes O know nobody is going to go and bang thier guiatr delibratly, but accidents do happen , you know like while moving the guitar ext. The highs are somewhat muted.... and bottom is Fat but can sound Mushy. And thats not good because when your higs are muted, your tone is not all that clear, as compared to a guitar made of Alder, Mahogany Korina Koa Maple ext. Yes I know Joe Sat, Steve Vai, Van Halen ext ext use Guitars made of Basswood, but then they also have Loads of back up guitars, incase of an accident. Also they have Custom Pickups on their axes and use a whole aray of Effects, so their tone still sounds clear. Basswood is normally at least in my opinon is mostly associated with Hard rock and Metal cause of The FAT BOTTOM END, and nice resonant features.
    Alder on the Other end is also a light weight wood Not as light as Basswood but when compared to other woods yes it is light..Alder also has a very Balanced tone....
    Ok now for the Q asked Yes that is my guiatr in the Avtar, The Strat belongs to a friend who is on ship, so it is lying with me, The V has a Duncan JB in the Bridge. I am looking forward to buy a new guitar and I am deciding between One Made Of Basswood and One made of Alder.