Which PICK is the best?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by piyushsood2312, Oct 24, 2012.

1. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

A pick causing financial trouble ???... See what MMS has done to the nation...

2. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

hahahahaha......In fact its not MMS, but the import policies, a pick costing 20 bucks or more is infact ridiculous :) These should sell for no more than 5 bucks......after all a piece of plastic.....

3. piyushsood2312

piyushsood2312 New Member

NOt the pick :D electric guitar !!

4. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

Yes, import policies.
    $400 there costs 35000 Rs here.

5. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Yes, that's the reason I started building my own stuff, effects and amps. (Don't ask me which amp, i cant let it out now).....

6. guitarplayer729

Oooh!
    You shouldn't have said that.

7. aryasridhar

aryasridhar New Member

Shouldn't have said what?

8. guitarplayer729

This:-
    Now I am bursting with curiosity

9. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

jim dunlop tortex jazz III pick for electric and for acoustic try to use a bigger sized pick (not more than 1mm) ....if u cant afford jim dunlop picks go for alice...or the last option use ur fingers.... ;) ..u might consider a thumb pick if u wanna play some country merle travis style music...most importantly try to maintain a small matchbox or so to keep ur picks....u know they are sooooo easily LOST!!!

10. piyushsood2312

I can afford the picks of any range! :) come on!!
    yeah I have jim dunlop # itself!

11. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I have personally tried the following picks:
    1)Jim Dunlop Nylon 0.44(great for acoustic beginners)
    2)Jim Dunlop Tortex 0.60, 0.73 (I use this for all my aoustic playing), 1mm
    3)Jim Dunlop Gator Grip 0.60 (This is good for sweaty fingers and has a really solid grip)
    4)Jim Dunlop Glow standard 0.80 (Essentially nylon picks, but glow in the dark)
    5)Planet Waves Celluloid 0.80, 1mm, 1.3 (Not liked them much)
    6)Dunlop Jazz III (Use it for soloing on electric guitar)
    7)Dunlop Jazz III XL (My main pick nowadays, the jazz III is a bit smallish for metal riffing)
    8)Dunlop Ultex standard 1.0 (Caught my fancy for the sharp attack and firmness but the shape didnt appeal much, neither did the cost)

i want to try out the Ultex Jazz III, Carbon Fibre Jazz III, Hetfield Black Fang.
    Of all the picks i tried I am currently down to 3, The Tortex 0.73 for acoustic, The Jazz III for some stuff although i dont use it much now as it wears out fast and the tip dulls down, the Jazz III XL Stiffo is the one i use the most.

12. guitarplayer729

I just saw my pick again. It was a Jazz III XL, the Jazz III is smaller than a fingernail(men).
    I want to try the picks you said, plus the John Petrucci signature pick is out too, so might check that out.
    You guys are lucky, at least you are near guitar stores. Here the shop owner doesn't let anyone try without buying.

13. ayu135

ayu135 New Member

I am the unluckiest of all, i dont have a guitar store in my city that stocks all these picks. I bought most of these online.

14. guitarplayer729

Believe me when I say, Jammu is the worst of all.
    The biggest store here is smaller than my bathroom.(I am not rich)

15. piyushsood2312

WOW!! cool! i wanna try all these! :)

16. wylder

wylder Member

Is there any difference between the John Petrucci signature pick and a regular Jazz III?

I tried the Eric Johnson signature one a while back and it was identical to the regular Jazz III (except for a slightly higher price IIRC).

17. guitarplayer729

How do I know without trying?

18. saurabh.kishore

saurabh.kishore New Member

Out of all picks I have tried so far; I love the "Dunlop Tortex .88"..

19. sohamgig

sohamgig New Member

try triangular picks preferbly of 0.71 mm for struming..nd 1.2 mm for lead..alice plectrums r cheap nd gud too.u wl gt 1 4 30 rs

20. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No one knows at the onset how much time he would devote, and how long can he sustain the interest.
    It is in the best interest of the public that they buy el cheapo stuff first. Only 10-20% progress to the next level. Most people drop out after playing Tujhe Dekha to yeh jaana sanam stuff. Why buy an Ibanez JEM with an Engl amp, if all you ever achieve was to play twinkle twinkle little stars ?