which basic amp?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jetru, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jetru

jetru New Member

I bought a new electric guitar and im looking for a total basic amplifier...less than 3k or 4k hopefully. 15w , 10 w anything. Im looking for good overdrive esp.
    This is my guitar:
    https://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blkgd.html

Would I get a basic marshall for 3k? Do they have any overdrive??

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Well for that much you will probably get a MG10CD. Look around to see what's available, play them and get back to us.

3. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

a marshall mg10cd has overdrive but a lot of ppl i know don't like that particular one, they prefferd the 15 wt one. but for 3000 bks, a marshall is like one of the better ones, stranger, kustom sound are okay too, but they don't have overdrive.

4. umangu

umangu New Member

The Marshall MG 15 are awesome for beginners. Their OD will keep you satisfied for at least 3 years.

I would recommend you take the one with the reverb. On such a small amp, a little reverb makes the sound richer. That's the MG15 CD I think. The CDX has some more fx, which I don't think are worth it.

Upar se, a lot of bottom end MGs are made in India, so you're bound to get a good deal on them.

5. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

ALL MGs Top and Bottom end are made in India and South America, check your local Oz store

6. jetru

jetru New Member

i looked at the mg15cd online...its too big! Ill be doing a lot of travelling and 15 x 15 inches is way more than i can handle. And I heard the clean channels on both mg10cd and mg15cd are the same circuitry. And the overdrives are almost the same. Can someone confirm this?

I tried out a mg10cd today and i did find the overdrive sounded 'metalish'. But I don't really know because the reynolds guy was being a jerk and he didn't let me test it out properly.

I might actually end up buying a marshall 10cd since none of the other amp brands in the low range have overdrive!

7. thehundredthone

Well the thing is that the MG10CD has an 8" speaker, the sound you get is different. It also has no headroom for jamming. If you're going to be a bedroom guitarist it's going to be just fine though. I personally don't like the overdriven channel on the MGs.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The overdriive channel of you MG might have sounded "metallish" becuase there is a contour knob that reduces or increases the mids.

And probably someone before you must've tried to get teh scooped mids metal tone.

Actually I hated the fact that I was not able to get rought Pantera sorta distortion from MG, but for stuff like Iron Maiden / Judas Priest it is pretty great.

9. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

you're right, the main difference between the 10 and 15 would be the speakers

10. umangu

umangu New Member

Don't know why I have the feeling that the heads and larger amps are made in Korea. Anyhow, you can hardly blame me. I'm past the looking at MGs stage now. Though I have to admit that it is an awesome beginner amp.

And mate, the MG15 can hardly be called big. It's barely a foot high, and weighs little more than most guitars!

11. thehundredthone

Even so, it's a fcuking pain to carry around by the handle.

12. jetru

jetru New Member

I bought a mg10. And yea...i reduced the gain on the amp and tone setting on my guitar, and it turned out a LOT better. It sounds great! Thanks all!

13. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Even a lot of tube heads are made in India and Brazil, Korea...sure, why not?

My MG 250 does excellent service as a 212 cab and is slated for a "tube-ular" makeover sometime in the future (with 'Active' cooling to boot ;) ) so I would never right off an MG. Marshall cabs are still some of the best designs anywhere, so the way I see it, my amp is still quite a worthy investment (which is not how I felt before I started building my own amps btw)

14. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

tube heads built in INDIA? Which ones?

15. umangu

umangu New Member

16. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

So why dun we get them here? ****!

17. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Gosh, after seeing those vids I think I should charge more for anything I sell....

Marshall selling them amps here kinda defeats the purpose, the whole point is to increase margins on sales. They can ship parts here, get the amps built and shipped back for less than building them in the UK. It's called "Outsourcing" and as a nation we're among the leaders in that field.
    The tubes don't actually come here, they are sourced from russia, China etc. Rest of the amp is built here by skilled staff

You'll be amazed at the list of all the things you crave for that actually get built in India

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

lol
    Aint this like really olden days .... when brits bought cotton from indian farmers - and fed it as a raw meterial to their motorized mills back in Britain.

And then forced the Indians to buy their cloth.

The only diff being of producing raw material in one and assembling in other.

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

everything changes and nothing really does :)

20. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Well, if I could, I would be looking for a VC to setup an amplifier workshop.