When you change modes, do you change the root note ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by AceRoom, Jun 15, 2006.

1. AceRoom

AceRoom Future Grammy Winner

I know I already asked this question but this is different. After seeing the tab for "Flying in a Blue Dream," Satriani plays the same mode with different notes like C lydian and Ab Lydian. When you change modes, do you change the root note as mentioned above or from D Dorian to F Lydian?

2. zing

zing Machine Head

u change frm D dorian to F lydian - by changing mode u change the entire 'feel' or 'mood' of the tune - by changing root/key u just transpose/shift the same 'feel' to a different pitch

3. AceRoom

How you emphasize the root or the feel of the mode?

4. zing

zing Machine Head

by playing that note more often, letting it ring, playing it with greater 'attack', starting/ending the melody on that note etc.

5. AceRoom

OK, Thanks

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

As far as whatever I have experimented with this issue, I keep the root note same.

Lets say some prog is being played on C major scale. Like C maj -> A min -> G major -> C major

I would start by playing in C Ionian (major scale)
    and mebbe shift at a point of time to C Phrygian (which imparts certain spanish music touch)

Cahnge to C Lydian for a "cool" "spacey" sounds (like Satch n Vai use sometimes) an dswithc back to C Ionian.

Now if you question is HOW to change from C Ionian to C Lydian or C Phrygian etc ... you need to be aware of the common notes.
    Otherwise you can alos use the chromatics are bridging notes.

However, somehow, I have not yet mastered the use of chromatics as passing notes. :(

7. zing

zing Machine Head

@ace just to clarify tht i was talkin abt there was changing the mode while keeping the notes the same and changing root/key while keeping the mode the same

when u change from D dorian to F lydian u r in fact changing both the mode as well as the key but still playing the exact same notes - just changing the emphasised note from D to F - amazing no?

changing the key is called modulation & is used to create 'freshness' & 'surprise' within a song - 4 this u need to know the 'circle of fifths'