When to change the strings of an acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by sunish bajaj, Jun 26, 2006.

1. sunish bajaj

sunish bajaj Banned

hey guys just one thing i needed to ask after how much time should one change the strings of an acoustic guitar. i havent replaced them for a year or so . is that ok?

2. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

You can keep it as long as it sounds good and the coating is intact and there is no Rust on the strings (Last one is for your own safety ;) )

3. sunish bajaj

sunish bajaj Banned

hi sugata one more thing . how often do i have to tune the guitar coz i dont know how to tune it but get one of my friends to do it

4. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

It's up to your guitar and how you handle it. I had to tune my previous guitar everyday (If not more). The guitar I am using now gives less trouble than that.

It really depends upon how quickly it gets distuned. If you feel that it's not sounding well, just tune it...

EDITED:- Do you own a computer? Use guitar pro to tune your guitar. It works better than the analog tuners. If you have the sw, go to, tools> Digital Guitar tuner

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

When your guitar doesn't sound as good as it used to (assuming it's in tune)..

6. walk_alone

walk_alone **~~| An Atheist |~~**

I recommend to change the strings every 6 months.

and as far as tuning goes ideally u can tune ur guitar everyday before playing it(only takes a minute or two).

if u have a guitar geta tuner or online software to tune guitar.

7. amit82cse

amit82cse Silent observeR

Two cases when you have to change your strings:

1. When elasticity of the strings is gone. It means that by tightning the string or loosning it, tension does not change.

2. If you see any break in the spiral coating in the top 3 strings.

Ideally, one should loosen the strings before keeping Guitar idle and should tune everytime you start playing, for the long life of strings.

8. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Good point. I forgot to mention that.

9. sunish bajaj

sunish bajaj Banned

thanks people u all were of great help.{will change the strings}

10. the_batman

the_batman New Member

A year? Dude, change em now.

I like to change em every 6 months on my nylon classical and 3-4 months on my Strat. Keeps em fresh, hurts like hell if you switch gauges though.