whats this thing i see here on IGT?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by jayswami, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

the people r ignorant because they r raised on carnatic music and hindustani.. so its kinda embedded deep within their psyche that soloist is god. accompanyists are secondary.

2. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Jay do we have to go through this all over again? Honestly, most of the people that listen to Carnatic music is the brahmin crowd. The whole of india definately does not listen to carnatic, simply coz they dont understand. The people are just ignorant!

3. kishmu

kishmu New Member

What exactly is the debate between Harini and Jay? I am ignorant sorry...

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

The mighty rule, not the meek. Its not about Indian music . Its evident everywhere.

Eg. Who was Jimi Hendrix's bassist when he performed at Woodstock??
    90% people wudnt know that it was a guy named Billy Cox. Y? ..Cuz Jimi was the star, the showstopper, the main even, not Billy Cox. Hence people idolize Jimi. If Billy Cox would have pulled out something amazing then there would be a lot more kids wanting to be bassists than guitarists. The show wudnt have gone on without Jimi. But if Billy Cox hadnt played, then all Jimi had to do was to call upon another bass player....he was secondary. Period!
    Yes he might have gotten appreciation for giving a good performance, thats it. He aint gonna become a star just by playing bass!!..and thats the bottom line!

Oh yeah, the whole of India doesnt listen to carnatic music.(I am an exception)
    Blaming carnatic music for accompaniments not getting a share of the limelight is stupid.
    Its show business, u gotta stand out.

Thats my 2 cents!
    Hola Hola

5. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

LOL..basically Jay, Dennis called you stupid!
    Awwwwwww

6. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

But still i strongly oppose learning "tujhe dekha to yeh jana sanam" melody as a beginner..:):)

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

LOL, no ways.
    I dont wanna feel the wrath of the "Lord of the Keys" Jayswami.

8. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Pshh...dont wry, speak the truth, i will protect you.

9. the_googly

the_googly New Member

musicians are entertainers.. ok wait.. i think it applies to everyone.. not only musicians

either they entertain others or themselves ?!?!

it is all about entertainment..

as an entertainer you want to entertain your audience..

ok... how many in the world can understand chords, bass etc.. etc..

and so... you just want to play to the crowd

are you entertained ????

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hmm...googly, that was a googly.
    I didnt get ur point dude!!

11. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

lol@dennis. i think i get googlys point. but then again..comparing apples with oranges doesnt work. Comparing carnatic and western music is stupidity. chords and stuff are an essential part of western music.
    Basically one must do justice to whatever art form they are into.
    If one is into western, they must play properly.
    Similarly if one is into carnatic..that should be done properly too!

12. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

sorry for the horrible english, typed real fast:d

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

ok this is not part of the debate... dont bring caste religion country etc ok?

what makes u think brahmin crowd aint ignorant?
    these stiff upperlipped mamas go to all these katcheris and their favorite passtime is guessing mundane raagas... 80% of your brahmin carnatic listeners know jack about carnatic music. neways i am not targeting a particular caste or anything like that.. but i am generalizing! 80% of any crowd is ignorant, brahmins,vikings,vulcans.. dont matter. now thats a profound statement.

and to go with that is another profound statement... public is the king.

and yea kishmu i have no idea what this debate is about :p: I am just humoring harini.

14. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

i was only stating facts.
    i didnt mean brahmins know it all.
    u are doing the opposite of humoring me

15. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

ok cool .......

16. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

do we still have the caste system in India?

17. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

its like how african american people hip hop.. doesnt mean that racisim is legal in usa..

same way brahmins listen to carnatic music... doesnt mean that anyone else is denied the opportunity to listen or perform carnatic music. Yesudas for example is one of the best carnatic vocalist and he is christian.

18. harini

harini Hameer Kalyani

Yesudas is pathetic for carnatic. I cant stand him. He sings filmi music ok..that too only if its malayalam or tamil. He just kills hindi songs with his pronounciation (Gori tera gaon bada pyara??)

19. light_of_erindi

Who is Yesudas?.........

20. light_of_erindi

Oh yes now i remember.... did he do a song like "chamak cham ".......or something like that few months back?.....
    Well that song was lame... I don't know about his carnatic stuff.