Whats the single most important thing you did to improve your playing?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by lord_neo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

what single thing such as an exercise you did, technique you worked on, etc.

2. himika9

himika9 !!!WANNA B ROCKSTAR!!!

stretching and finger independence!!! still working on it:eek::

3. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Learning (or at least trying to learn) to sight read after 3 years of playing guitar. Opens up your mind to music in general as opposed to just scalar technique, which is what most of us get stuck doing. Also the book 'Chord Chemistry' for learning chord melody and not the same old shred/sweep stuff.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

took lessons from Amyt Dutta

5. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

^Amyt Dutta from Kolkotta?

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yes, the famous Amyt Dutta

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Ditto. Just switch 3 years to 1 and a half year in my case....and going to a guitar teacher who actually teaches well.

8. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Thats great, where does he conduct the classes?

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The same.

Damn, I need to stop hero-worshipping him.

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

But amyt Dutta teaches in Kolkata :shock:
    Do you live in Kolkata??? Where??

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

pls explain more

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

er...yes, I do. I'm going to move close to Tangra sometime in January :)

Right now I live in the Ballygunge area.

As for the scalar technique thing....what I think he means is that instead of using what we often term as "exotic scales" to bring the best out of our licks, we can just play around the chord....using extensions and substitutions and make licks keeping the chord in mind sometimes even getting the same result as we would with the exotic scale (perhaps because the exotic scale was built keeping the chordal approach in mind? I dont really know...its my theory only). These are two different approaches to soloing and I personally prefer the chordal approach. It makes a lot more sense somehow. I could be totally wrong about what he meant though so lets just wait.

13. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Most of us end up learning how to play rock solos, pentatonic scales, 3-notes-per-string triplets, sweep arps, etc and not really what those mean.
    Chord meolody refers to playing a meoldy in chords..sort of what you hear in Eric Johnson's Manhattan but more advanced.
    @ LordNeo-He teaches at Khar.

14. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

That will be greaaaaaaat for me!!~ My ud be teacher :p:

15. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

practising regularly evday wrks u will notice in a month u luk bck n feel ya thr has bin sum change for sure

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Recording my playin, then listenin and going over it!! It helped me spot a lot of errors which I otherwise would not have noticed.

17. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

I think the best thing would be to start playing JAZZ, Although I am not a good Jazz guitarist I still manage to play basic jazz and I think that would be he best thing to improve playing or I would rather say become a genius on guitars.

18. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

can you suggest some basic jazz guitar listening

19. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

play songs i really liked and just HAD to play them right.

20. pruthuze

pruthuze New Member

Practice is the GOLDEN RULE GOLDEN WORD IT IS EVERYTHING......and thats what i wanna get regular on to..
    ....trying to improve on that gotta pratice everyday....

....or else even i aint gonna learn singing while playing till two years........GOD