What's the rarest CD in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by death_metal_fan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hahaha
    three most overrated rockers
    1) kurt cobain
    2) kirk hammett
    3) slash

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey how could you call Curt Cobain as an over rated guy. He is a guitar god in his own right. I agree that he was a crap in terms of playing or techniques or whatever. He had the creativity to throw the entire 2 decades of rock guitaring and also the power to shift the music industry to alternative with just simple basic chords. In a nutshell he achieved with his guitar what guys like Steve Vai or Satriani or many of such guys couldn't do. Dont compare guitaring talents. There are plenty of guys just in this forum who could play better than Curt Cobain but how many can make a total musical revolution like what he did. A whole genre of music came up following him.
    All the guitar gods have to play their a.ss off to get themselves a few pints of beer but look what Curt Cobain could do with his simple but powerful music. Respect him for what he did rather than comparing with your favourites and cribbing. I am not a Nirvana fan in any stretch of imagination but just a bit open minded to accept the fact. Infact he is listed in several of the top 100 greatest guitarists ever.
    To my knowledge there has been very few guitarists who inspired a whole new genre of music. I know several other guys but just mentioning a few for comparison.

Hendrix for driving the Distorted Noisy Rock Music and also a great innovator.
    Eddie Van Halen initiated the technical shred era
    Curt Cobain for killing everything that the above guys did and started off a new direction. Back to basics. Like Sepultura says "Back To The Primitive, F?$% all your Politics" which cannot be more apt to Curt Cobain's approach.

This will be a never ending discussion 'cos you simply admire your own heros and refuse to look at what others have done. I am not game for a debate, so dont blast me.

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ron ...
    i guess what chintu meant was most overrated guitarists ...

kurt cobain is/was definitely one of the most popular rockers out there ...

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

and same (most popular rocker) is true for hetfield/hammett ...

slash ? ... well ... there is already a heated debate going on in some other forum ...

5. ronnieanand

I understood what Chintu meant. I was saying Kurt Cobain is not over rated. He deserves the status he is in. He is surely a guitar god for being a style innovator. He is never considered for any of his techniques or anything. Just plain simple style that beat the shi% out of all the other rockers.

6. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

@ron...fantastic reply dude :nw: .....reps nd sm pts.....

7. chintan9

Kurt cocaine( i mean cobain) was just one lucky FiUCKER! Trust me he just made the right music at the right time. If he played the same songs now he would not have acheived half of what he acheived at that time. I mean even Tony iommi did a lot for the scene(started the metal revolution) but cobain is always rated above him. Thats total CRAP!

Oh yeah i meant 'MOST OVERRATED GUITARISTS'.

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hah..ronnie..tht was funny
    i guess now linking park wud be another one of our exceptional rock bands looking at their large fanbase..and the fact that they have spawned a new era of nu metal!!
    and well...britney is brilliant too..cuz shes got more fans than either..so i guess she is to be listed as the worlds top vocalists simply cuz she has more fans..and she has ushered the pop revolution(along with the spice girls)...
    dude, just cuz u can capture peoples imagination with gimmicks dont make u a good musician..period .

9. chintan9

See Thats Exactly What I Am Talking About!

10. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

I have a few early Robert Johnson recordings on cd. Awesome stuff.

11. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

oye dennis ... dont ya dare talk about britneys, aguileras, jessicas, JLOs, ... etc here ...

we already have enuff of 'em in the MTV and Channel P.E.E. ...

12. ronnieanand

Pop wasn't a revolution. It was there right from Elvis Presley days.

Satriani couldn't even do that. With his slap head and other gimmicks he could hardly get 2000 people here in his gig and half of them shouting it's enough after around 1 hour of his playing. Kurt Cobain ranks way ahead.

By the way, this new metal is not a new concept. It's kind of an off shoot of Industrial Metal and Industrial Metal has been existing for ages. Check out bands like Filter, NIN and they sound pretty close to newer bands. Tony Iommi is sure a godly guitarist no matter any rates it or not. How does it matter the everybody has to be rated. I have seen the names of Robert Fripp, SRV, etc.. in many of the list. There are millions of guys who are not rated mainly because they weren't from a commercial hit band.

I dont want to continue this stuff. So go and live in your small hole and crib about everybody who's not your favourite.

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hah all u did was find out errors in my post
    and, well ..if u call elvis bubblegum pop the all i can do is Laugh Out Loud .

PS: I didnt want to insult/offend u, just trying to make my point.

14. ronnieanand

Okay Dennis, Pop basically meant popular music. Initially every artist or music that became immensely popular like Elvis Presley, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple were all considered Pop. The word Pop music was used to describe contemporary music in those days. It's a pretty old terminology until the record companies split everything up by different names. Now laugh out for your ignorance.

15. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah actually in a way the rap-metal also known as nu-metal ... is pop ...
    infact there was a category named pop-rock ...
    ppl like BAdams, Bon Jovi, Boston, Europe ...
    which is diff from Glam rock bands (most 'em were Hair metal bands): Motley crue, Poison, Gnr, Ugly Kid Joe ...

16. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Back on topic, ladies.

Another rare gem I have is a live version of the Judas Priest's 'Caviar And Meths'. On Rocka Rolla it's been castrated into a 2 minute instrumental while the live version is an actual song over 8 minutes in length.

17. ronnieanand

I have seen a funny live video of Uriah Heep with their original vocalist Byron. On one of the songs, he sings a line soft and asks the crowd to sing after him softly. The whole crowds sings it loud, then he asks them to sing soft and the crowd sing it loud. After a few times, Byron gets wild and shouts "Quiet".

18. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

i haqve a full live video of liquid tension experiment... its got lodas of good styuff like universal mind, acid rain, etc... i tihnk its a little rarae- not too many ppl have it

19. guns_n_gore

guns_n_gore hell raiser

i have backstage videos,making,tour ,shopping viedos
    i have every live that happened at donnigton

not many but some censored vedios of rock stars
    aka bad influence 2 us

'' united states of america"

20. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

ABBA and sting and the police