What to buy

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Double Click, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Double Click

Double Click New Member

One of my friends may be returning from the US in a couple of months, and has offered to pick up ONE pedal for me.... My budget is Rs 4000/-.

I'm struggling to decide what to get.

So what do u suggest I get? The things I need are :-

1. Volume Pedal
    2. Clean Boost
    3. A wah pedal - leaning towards the Vox V847.
    4. Tuner (This is prolly what I'll end up buying)

I yearn for

1. Barber Direct Drive
    2. Good pups (any suggestions?)
    3. A Sansamp (but its out of my budget :( )
    blah blah blah...

2. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Oh and, I play all types of music except extremely heavy metal.

I'm also pretty satisfied with the Distortion from my Brit Sound, so dist pedals are not a very high priority.

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Vox V847...what do you have already?

4. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Wah pedal!

5. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Right now, all I have are some AMTs and a Digitech DigiDelay.

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

^^ Oh, is that all you have? ;)

Take the clean boost or the wah, although the tuner is more practical if you don't have any processor.

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Again..take the Wah... you can tune by ear.. can't you???

8. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^^ Not entirely practical while gigging.

9. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Oh!! Well if you do llive stuff.. then you must go for a tuner I'm afraid!!

10. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I think you can get a few behringer or Danelectro pedals in that amount of money including a tuner. Would be way better than just goin for a tuner atleast you'll get to try out some stuff which might actually be good. I say if you get the chance try all the cheap pedals with good reviews you can find.

But if you're up for just one pedal go for a quality one like a boss tuner or the vox wah.

11. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

buy the wah pedal... ive heard vox v857 simply kicks ass!!!

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

get a behringer hell babe , a behringer tuner and a behringer noise reducer :p should be less than 4k

13. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i dont think he can get more than ONE pedal if that what he meant

14. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I've got the hellbabe...its pretty decent...not good for sceaming fast leads but awesome for the classic stuff like burnin of the midnight lamp.

15. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Keep Overdrive pedals, Clean Boost as a lower priority. Clean Boosts have a very different application. You might not even like it or even understand it.

Wah Pedal is pretty useful. If you play a lot of Clean Parts, then go for a Chorus. After you get the LS-2, you can have a Chorusy Clean and a Dry Distortion with the Delay. This will be pretty useful. A Tuner is also cool. I'd suggest you go for a Fender or a Planet Wave Tuner. They are cheap and also good. I wont go for a Behringer....

16. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

17. Double Click

Double Click New Member

She can only bring only ONE pedal, and its not confirmed wether she'll be coming... Otherwise I'd have asked her to get both the LS-2's which are currently just lying there :(

The planet Waves tuner looks great, but seems to be a lil noisy on Bypass which is I cannot have. Will check out the Fender.

I will not buy a Behringer unless I get to check it out myself... Plus I'd need to be assured that a service center exists in India beffore I go anywhere near one.... Too many horror stories.

I'd prefer having a few high quality stomps to having lots of cheap shit...

@ronnie - the chorus will have to wait till I can get a job....

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Delay pedal.

19. ronnieanand

He has a Digitech Delay Pedal......

20. ronnieanand

Dude......The criteria for your Tuner Should Be........Accurate and Reliable and Roadworthy in terms of build quality. Dont give a damn about the Sound Quality in the Bypass and stuffs like that. I have a channel splitter in my Volume Pedal, so my signal never pass through the Tuner. So paying extra money for the Bypass doesn't make sense. You can build a ABY True Bypass switch yourself in less than 1 hour and that wont cost you beyond $20. Plus the ABY can come into a lot of useful applications later.....