What should be the ideal settings for the EQ at MIXER?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Jan 7, 2008.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

at jams i play through roland cube 15 or stranger 80 watss (its quite transparent)...and at the stage its mostly PA (JBL speakers)

2. Double Click

Double Click New Member

There lies the probelm. U will have to tweak the patches on stage. there is no fixed rule for this. It varies with the gear used.

If a tone sounds too distorted, u should try decreasin the gain/drive 1st... EQ can only shape the existing tone.

Another factor which comes into play is the manner in which the ear responds to different frequencies at different volume levels. This kinda explains why some tones sound lovely at low volumes but sound harsh at higher volumes.

@thundertone

1. Know ur gear inside out. Set up ur patches on stage... Its useless trying to set up ur patches at home and then using them live. It hardly ever works. This is easier if u use stompboxes :)

2. The EQ settings on the mixer settings are upto the sound guy.. Its rare for u to have any control over that, so dont waste ur time. Better to set the eq on the amp/proc/pedal. More effective.

If u need more help, tell us bout ur setup. Its kinda pointless trying to tweak something like a 505 for tone...

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Highly true.
    @rust_in_pain - I got the same problem as you do. Really mucked up one of my gigs.
    That thing bout stompboxes was true? Argh T.T
    And the soundman is often more than willing to comply. They can even give you advice on EQ settings, as they get the end result of the entire band's sound. But more often than not, I'd say its the best to take a friend who can operate the console there, and he/she should have a clear idea of how your over sound should be (hint hint, call 'im/'er over to your jam sessions)

Maybe the ideal solution is to get your own amps, and damn the PA system and just use it for voice? PA system isnt exactly the best way to put a guitar's sound, in my opinion. Sound quality is pathetic, my MG10 can do better than an Ahuja. Unless you just want volume and no tone (or even tune, for that matter). All you get is a jumble of crap thrown at you from the cab...not suitable for ANY genre. Except noise, maybe? >.>

All these problems are amplified tenfold when you're in for some competition or something. When I played for my theater workshop's play, I worked out everything beforehand with the auditoriums soundman. But when I went for a competition, the sound we had was the sound we had. No changes possible to correct the tone in 10 seconds and still sound like the band you want to. :|

4. rust_in_pain

my current setup- ibanez RG470 -->PODxt live -->PA

there is something which we lack that the big boys at the big bands know quite well...cause they dont take hours for setup and they still sound good....

ultrabot-u frm delhi..which band?

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

@dc: It'll be a while before I do any live shows again (again, haha). But thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. I have a Zoom 707II so what I'll probably do is have 2 copies of my banks one for jamming and one for live use, I don't use a very wide variety of tones and the number of patches is more than enough.

6. ultrabot90

I'm certainly from Delhi, in two bands...of which none is worth mentioning (the one dedicated to death/heavy metchul has all the people out for studying and is just one gig old; one dedicated to alternative metal/punk rock is still to start practicing).
    I'll start gigs and (possibly) recording after 31st of March.

7. rust_in_pain

@DC-so any tips according to my setup?

@ultrabot- dude,are here any gigs going on in delhi?plz keep me updated as i put up in noida and not in the circle of rock and roll all the time

8. ultrabot90

9. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

10. ultrabot90

I know that, I mentioned that in the last post in that thread as well. But it hardly shows any from Delhi :|
    Edit - Oh, the forums...I looked in the college festivals. -_- Thanks.

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

12. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

13. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

yeah, the forums...there are about 15 gigs happening between 4th and 24th Jan as part of the build up gigs for the Jack Daniel's Awards.

My band is playing on the 24th at Opus in Priya Complex, Vasant Vihar :)

P.S. - Why the Fcuk can't we delete posts! What idiocy!

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Who said the big bands dont take a long time for soundcheck?? Most international acts do their soundchecks long before the show starts, and it usually takes a while.

@rust_in_pain - U should be able to get some decent tones out of ur setup. Ur ability to tweak the settings will determine the tone since ur gear is decent.. Just make up ur patches at the gig. Dont forget the cab-sim when going direct to the PA.

15. ultrabot90

@DC - Making patches at the gig site is the perfect solution (apart from carrying our own amps), but what about competitions and stuff, where you have limited time?

16. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

just make your xt live patches through headphones and they'll sound good in the PA.

17. rust_in_pain

yeah...never looked at the forums...thanks
    ur band is hypnosys?

18. rust_in_pain

yeah..that is when we have the luxury of time....do patches once set up at a location works good for the others ?(for open mid sized locations only)

19. rust_in_pain

you own an xtlive too?

20. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

no i don't use an Xt live but i have used it a few times and when i did, i had setup patches at home using very mediocre headphones and still i got a nice tone out of the PA. Just remember to keep Cabinet and Amp presence full when ure going direct..it may sound a little jarry in the bedroom but it opens out nicely in the PA.

P.S. - Yep, Hypnosis it is :)