What Made U Listen To Rock

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by rust_in_pain, May 3, 2005.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

okay people,
    we were not born with a led zep cd and discman connected to our ears.so tell others how u came accross this fantastic genre of music.

as 4 me it was just like our school band was playin some pop-rock **** in the IIIT where i saw death metal bands performing.that sent a chill to my spine.rest's history.

2. jamhead

jamhead Unknown Legend

what made me listen to rock was pop, rap, hiphop, bhangra, trance, dance, bhojpuri metal, tribal chants of andaman etc.

sixstringsin likes this.
  3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

depression.

4. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

Boney M.. i was a big fan man when i was a kid.. night fly to venus... i loved that vocoder 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 part.. i loved all boney M songs. but i guess they were more like disco reggae...
    thankfully even when i was in school, i was not part of those loser kinds who listen to pink floyd and gnr and wore black t shirts and fagged the hell out of their lives all the time. so yea i was never a rocker.. my cousin used to listen to all that so i heard them once ina while.. van halen etc.. then me and 3 other friends decided to form a band... i guess u could call it a rock band, one of us avi was like rocker. he had tons of imported tapes etc.. and he said lets do this billy joel song (i had never heard of him).. this was like early 90s... so i had this small keyboard yamaha pss270.. the last s stood for "small sized keys". we had one acoustic guitar and managed to get a cheap drum kit... and setup up all that at my friends garage in kirkee pune... and during one of our first jams 2nd or third decided to redord it using a boombox internal mic... and this is how it sounded... https://vorlon.cwru.edu/~jayen/IGT/u may be rt.mp3
    I am playing bass on my yamaha pss270

so once again

Divers Do It Deep covering Billy Joel in 1993
    https://vorlon.cwru.edu/~jayen/IGT/u may be rt.mp3

Vocals: Avinash Seetaramiah
    Guitars: Pradeep Gore
    Bass: Jayendran Swaminathan
    Drums: Kamalanand Dasu

After That I slowly got hooked to rock music, and i learnt more songs. I still cannot listen to a lot of music... rock music ie. I play a lot of it.. i hate playing idnian mellow film music. so my listening taste sand playing tastes compliment each other.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

i remember my cousin had a guitar, i was 5 yr old then, i fell in love with that, when i got to 12 i started playing his guitar, well ok not playing, just started hitting the strings, next in line was his rock collection, began to listen to it as well, hehe, generous guy... he even allowed me to take them home, so thats how i hooked up to rock, started with led zepp, black sabbath, rolling stones, queen ets then for some reason found it boring and then bought metallica etc, now back to old classicals again..... nothing like them
    the reason that i listened to rock music was because i wanted to play the guitar like the pros, to do that i first had to listen to them didnt i?? :p:

6. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

When I was in class 6, I heard about U2 somewhere. So I decided to listen to it (coz my cousin used to listen to it too). I really liked some songs by it. So there was my friend who gave me a CD filled with assorted songs from most bands. Thus, after this I listened to the songs on the CD. And then I started downloading them. And because I loved rock I started learning guitar. :rockon:

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Death of Curt Cobain. I didn't know who this guy was. My cousin was a big fan, so I started out of Sympathy. Strangely I started with listening to Whitesnake as a tribute to Curt Cobain's death. This is how I started with rock music.

Music was there in our family for several generations. So whether you like or not, all kids get classically trained in Carnatic music. So I started off with Carnatic Vocal lessons when I was 8 year old. But I was listening to them right from the day I was born. It's part of me now. I later went on to lean Violin and Veena. I screwed all of them 'cos never had the discipline required. I am a big time hippy working as a techie.

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

I never knew that this sort of music was called when i started listening to it. I used to listen to GNR, Aerosmith, Bonjovi, Metallica,scorpions , rainbow in some 7th class. Then i had no idea bout genre and stuffs like that. I just liked these stuffs along with the gayish, crap. But soon i felt that songs that had distortion were better(Then i didnt even know about an effects pedal). Then when i got in to 11th, i head bout stories like POP(nEW ones) is crap. I had felt it before, but now i knew it was true.

Thats when i went mad bout rock and metal, and started listening to other stuffs..........

9. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the guitar. one day i heard the riff from enter sandman on radio and man, i was so ON.

10. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

nice tales guys!!! :rockon:
    what abt rating this thread and pouring some reps to me 4 starting this th ;) read

11. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

my brother's room-mate was a fan of GNR and made me listen to them :)....so it started with that....but i didn't really like their sound for a lot of time....later ..it grew on me...then during my engineering days....my room-mate was a guitarist so the guys used to jam at our place....so i was introduced to loads of rock...and eventually i ended up listening to everything from the heartbreakers to cannibal corpse ....:):)

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i still cannot listen to any rock album end to end. they r too boring, just like indian movies.
    the only movies i can see end to end are sholay and lagaan.. because second half of lagaan is a cricket game :). I enjoy rock concerts though. they r the best. cant wait to see JP this year.

13. jijo

jijo New Member

Actually , I too started with Boney M, and my first Album was Daddy Cool, it was an LP.and then i got into Neil Diamond , Demis Rousses( i think thats the spell),and onto the POP and then Queen ,which got me into this all by their first real Big Hit callled "Crazy Little Things called Love"..anybody heard this one.and then on to everything i cud hear i DID.........and here i am

14. jijo

jijo New Member

HOW CUD I FORGET THE BEATLES......OH I LOVED EVERYTHINGS BEATLES DID .........wtih a dash of Mick Jagger -Satisfaction----thrown in

15. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i dont remember.
    i think all that rock has burnt my brain