What is the tonal difference between..

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Feb 14, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

A T-O-M with strings through body, with a tailpiece and a wraparound? Presumably there is extra sustain with strings through, but what are the pros/cons of the wraparound?

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

A T-O-M with strings through the body like the Tone Pros one is supposed to have more sustain, sharper attack and I remember reading something regarding stability of intonation or whatever. Basically something related to some kinda stability. It's supposed to be an improvement over the wrap around bridget.

Also check out the locking T-O-M bridge. Normal T-O-M Bridges are held by the two posts, and these posts could move or drop while changing strings, so the newer locking T-O-M bridges are screwed to the body, so it remains intact. This also cuts down the small movements the bridges might have with respect to those posts. This also talks about some intonation stability.

I am not a lutheir or anything, so you should wait for some serious guys to answer your queries.

3. abhijitnath

I think TonePros makes wraparounds, strings through as well as tailpiece equipped TOMs. In fact, you can go the string thru route simply by not buying the tailpiece and drilling holes in the guitar body. Basically I'm trying to decide between the wraparound and strings through. Lets see. And yeah...I'm definitely going the locking route:)

4. ronnieanand

Tone Pros has about 10 different varieties of T-O-M Bridges. I was comparing all of them last week. String through body looks super cool. The Bridge has the vintage look and avoiding the stop tail and using the string through makes it look awesome. That's the plan I have for my Custom Strat Copy.

My specs are

1. Alder Body and Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard and no inlays.
    2. 3 single coil lace sensor hot gold
    3. Planet Waves Locking Tuner
    4. Tone Pros T-O-M Bridge with String Through Body.
    5. Archtop Body.
    6. Everything else like a regular fender in terms of shape.
    7. Neck Thru instead of the standard Bolt On.

5. abhijitnath

Where are you getting it made? Tulsi?
    It seems like an EXTREMELY bright guitar. Plus you're going to add bright pickups to it..hmm. BTW its a carved top and not an archtop. Interesting choice otherwise..seems like the custom guitar Knopfler plays in 'On the night' except he has single coil EMGs on it.

6. ronnieanand

Yep. Carved Top :eek:: . Yes. I wanted a real bright guitar that has a glassy sparkly tone without being harsh. I also prefer the natural sustain and that's the reason I prefer T-O-M and slightly heavier body. I'd love to have a Flame Top but I dont think it's possible to get it done here.

I am going to get it done by Tulasi and this is a long term project. It will take about 6 to 7 months to actually make it happen. Right now I have only the pickups. Everymonth I will buy one part for the guitar and slowly get the whole thing done. Money is an issue now, else it will be done right away.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

i dunno man ... wrap around, stoptail, through body ... aah i dont think these things really make a big difference .. even if they do ... it will be so subtle that you wouldnt even notice ...

8. abhijitnath

You already have the pickups? I thought you're hunting for the same for
    Jazz/JB combos etc..or are you going with the Lace Sensors on this one?
    Edit: BTW Alberto's does a veneer flametop but obviously you cant do a carved top with it. So if you drop the carved top and go with the standard Strat top you can use a flame or quilt veneer with it.

9. ronnieanand

This pick up enquiry thread was for my Parker Guitar. I have Lace Sensor pickups for that strat project I was telling you. Today afternoon I received my Parker. I just played it for 15 mins. Pics and reviews tomorrow. But I can say that it sounds awesome and there are too many amazing things about the guitar. After hearing it, I am really thinking if I should go for the Seymour Duncans for which this thread was meant for. The Parker Pickups are amazing. I thought all stock pickups will suck and needs to get changed.

10. abhijitnath

BTW even Parker pickup routes are too small for SDs. They have to be enlarged slightly according to Ed Roman's website. But hearty congratulations on getting it all the same.

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Ronnie:nw:nw:..first pedal collector..now guitar collector...
    Congrats man:beer:
    BTW..I think Tulasi will refuse to do the string thru body..he doesnt have equipment for that...you can gor a lovely natural wood finish on the guitar..looks cool with teak bodies:)