What is the difference between flamenco guitar and classical guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cYpHeR, May 20, 2005.

1. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

can neone help with that...

2. vini

vini Repeat Offender

i found this sumwhere on internet:-

Although classical and flamenco guitars are often built of the same materials, they are made to perform differently. A classical guitar is built to provide the player with a range of tone colors that should be easy to draw out of the instrument at varying volume levels. Longer notes and a singing tone are a part of the classical guitar sound. A flamenco guitar, in contrast, is a percussion instrument at heart, built with a quick response, low action, and a bright timbre.

CLASSICAL GUITARS
    Classical guitars are the most common found instruments when shopping for nylon string guitars. They feature slotted head stocks, 2" wide fingerboards, cedar or spruce tops, and typically rosewood back and sides. They are designed for contra-punctal music, with two or more lines moving about each other. They respond well from a soft dynamic touch, to a loud strong attack. The tone should be full-bodied and well defined across all registers. Many design advancements have been made through the years, with some exclusive builders such as Thomas Humphry changing many of the construction standards utilized from as far back as the 18th century. Still, a strong element of tradition remains with this style of instrument. For further listening, artists such as Julian Bream, Eliot Fisk, Sharon Isbin, LA Guitar Quartet and of course Andre Segovia represent the pinnacle of classical guitar style and technique.

FLAMENCO
    Originating in southern Spain, Flamenco music is a savvy combination of dance, singing, and guitar based music influenced by Moorish, Mediterranean, and more traditional European musics. Flamenco guitar technique involves a more aggressive right hand technique. To accommodate this technique, square pickguards can be seen on both sides of the soundhole to protect the top, which is usually spruce. Sycamore back and sides give flamenco guitars a brighter sound which suits the style well. Lately however, many "Flamenco Negra" have become popular, utilizing rosewood back and sides for a deeper tone. Historically, a flat head stock with friction pegs topped the instrument off, but many instruments are now moving towards geared tuners. From the front of the instrument it looks very similar, but a side view reveals the slightly thinner body. All of these elements combine to produce a very light and responsive instrument with a bright percussive tone. For those interested in finding out more about Flamenco music, check out the Gypsy Kings, Paco Pena, and the fantastic Spanish movie "Vengo", which features all manners of flamenco.
    did it ring any bell?..lol...it must!!

tahda!!

tahda!

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

search wikipedia for more info

4. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

thanx vini...death...

5. deathdr_87

i dont listen to too much flamenco guitarring but its quite ahrd to play- itried to play some songs but they were really hard - ive never really done pciknig like that or anything - its very tremelo picking and semi legato (thats like playing hamemring on and puuling off while picking - its really hard to do)

ok now im probably going a little off topic - but most of us on igt arent either classical or flamenco guitarist - were either neo-classical or modernist... im a modernist - classical and neo cliassical are always usually purists - they believe in only 6/12 strings - they dont really care too much for 7/8 strings and all the extras (like funky effects etc..)

modernists are inspired by ppl like srv, js, petrucci, vai, etc.. and love rock music... thats me!!!

6. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I love flemenco...it is such an experience to listen to the combined effect of the clapping percussive guitars and the rasguedos.....man...i just love their rolling sound....

Classical guitaring is more toned down i'd say...not that dynamic...

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

^^^
    he wasn't asking abt "guitaring", but the guitars!

The flamenco guitar is usually slightly smaller than the classical guitar.
    Its back and ribs are made from spanish cyprus tooled very thinly to produce a more brilliant, more penetrating sound and to give the instrument greater volume. This does, however, result in a loss of mellowness and tone.

8. deathdr_87

@6string - vini already answered that question - i jsut posted something that was on the same topic - the guitars and the relevant guitarring styler coz i felt i had something to say on it - we werent asnwering his question since yhe aklready got the asnewr in the first reply...

9. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Just a quick note. If you have a good Flamenco guitar, you can get away with using it as a classical guitar also. But it ususally doesn't work the other way around. Classical guitars used for Flamenco music sound dull and lifeless.

10. nikbadshah

nikbadshah New Member

@johny_flamenco..thnx buddy thats what i wanted to know whether classical would be better or flamenco cas i enjoy both kinds of music. But do u know any good flamenco guitars!! I wanna get into flamenco now but not sure which brand i should go with or what i should be lookin at while buyin a flamenco guitar.
    @Vinit..thanx for the info dude..was good knowledge!!

11. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Flamenco guitars

I have no idea about the Indian scene. I am based in the US. But if you can get your hands on a Cordoba, Ramirez , Hernandezthey will serve you well. They are not cheap. A low end classical in the US costs around $1500. I bought me a hand made one when I was in Spain (no name brand). But I believe a very good Spanish maker of flamenco guitars has set up shop in Cochin
    Good luck