what is the difference between Black and Death metal ?

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Seelan, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Seelan

Seelan Soldier Of Fortune

Death Vs Black

Ok first of all what is the difference between Black and Death metal ? I seem to enjoy Cradle of Filth songs at the same time , i still do like Backstreet Boys to Metallica to NIRVANA to scorpion .. Grr anything but techno ... Am I a mad music fan ? oh yeah so what is the difference between Black metal and Death metal? and what genre is Cradle Of Filth in ?

2. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Cradle of filth is SUPPOSED to be black metal. (i think its as much as slipknot is death metal)
    The main difference that you can find between black and death metal is that, black metal has screaming vocals (much like cradle of filth). Death metal has more of low pitched growls. The use of synthesisers is also a big thing in black metal. You rarely find that in DM. Also, DM has more of an emphasis on technicality as opposed to Black metal.
    The facepaints, wierd (wannabe scary) costumes are also normal in BM, and so are the words "darkness" "northern" and "forest". It originated from Norway and usually has satanic themes.
    Death metal originated from Florida and people ususally wear casual clothing (and no facepaints, swords, axes...etc). Lyrical themes vary from gore, to things about society, to philosophy, to even political ones (and by politics i mean LEFT WING shit).
    So, i hope that made things clearer :beer:

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

4. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

Nu metal -- Features a pronounced hip hop influence, and guitar technique is often different from "traditional metal". It is widely argued that nu-metal is a misnomer, stating the genre has very little to do with heavy metal. See KoЯn, Papa Roach, Staind, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, and Limp Bizkit.

wht crap!!! slipknot is nu-metal????

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Yes....what did u think it is??

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Yes, Slipknot is nu-metal.

7. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

they dont use hip hop sets so like they cant be nu -metal

8. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

the low pitch growls n guitarin seems like they r pretty close to death metal or called industrial.. as said by shsnawada...

9. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

use of turntables, rap style songs (sometimes corey does rap...), non-inclusion of solos are typical of a nu metal band

however they keep on exprimenting...esp in the Vol 3. Subliminal verses...so they cannot be broadly classified in one particular genre

anyway...screw it....the genre debate will rage on forever...if u like it listen to it :beer:

10. shsnawada

I said that if slipknot is death metal, then cradle of filth can be considered black metal.

If that happens, iron maiden can be considered to be pop. Get the idea?

btw, what is this thread doing in the cc lounge?

11. shak

shak Harrr!

but the way they do their vocals give a hint of hip-hop ..
    by the way .. how do you define metal? .. and how come black sabbath are considered metal band?? ..

12. shsnawada

^^ Dont start genre bashing now.. :p: The boundaries between certain genres are sort of unclear but the reason genres are made i think, is to give the people an idea of what theyre playing. If that's unclear then so be it. Its still waaaay better than saying that its "awesome music" or "good music" or "things that suck horse balls" or whatever.

13. shak

shak Harrr!

i wonder who invented the genres? .. especially .. blues, metal, industrial, glam etc

14. shsnawada

Please move this to music talk..... :nw:

15. Seelan

Seelan Soldier Of Fortune

so Black Metal is screaming voices and satanic ... and Death is low pitched and talks abt defiance?

16. shsnawada

Yeah.... thats almost the basic idea. Dont forget the keys in black metal. Satan is compulsory in BM, not in death metal (its optional there)

17. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

^ but how said death metal is more technical???? :think:
    i find black metal more technical...o course if u dont consider progressive death metal...(the besssst )
    and i personally find the screeechin much more 'pleasant' than the growlin....death metal sounds too dry...
    and cradle of filth aint black metal??? kya yaar.....

18. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

damn ! this genres r 2 confusin....

19. shsnawada

Black metal ----- hail from the northern nations
    Death metal ----- Originated from florida..

If you listen to one or either of these, then it should be clear. There are a few exceptions though
    I know a guy who used to listen to morbid angel (and like it) and couldnt tell the difference between black and death metal :shock:

Damn.... why is this in the CCL?

20. slipknot_555

slipknot_555 RuHH..

who cares abut genres y not njoy the music which respective band plays!