What is adlib ?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by DJCrunkMix, Nov 22, 2005.

1. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

I have seen this a lot of times... I dont know what it means. Someone told me that its just finger picking....

I was on this thread and at the end he says that dont strum, just adlib...

Can someone explain ? or post a recording if possible... thanks in advance..

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

He says it means "to play arpeggios" though I must tell you that adlib is not a standard term.

Instead of playing the entire chord at once, just play it one note at a time (not nescessarily in ascending or descending order of strings). You don't have to finger pick if you don't want to.

3. DJCrunkMix

Thanks bjr for your reply.

Now, whats the difference between finger picking and arpeggios ?

Here is what I think. Arpeggios is when you hold a chord and play a note at a time. So, how do you play a note at a time? Isnt that finger picking ?

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

well...yes and no. It is equally possible that you might want to use a plectrum to pick one note at a time so that would not be fingerpicking.

Fingerpicking and arpeggios are two different things. It's like comparing an apple to a shampoo.

Fingerpicking is a style of hitting notes. You use your fingers to pluck every note and there is usually a loose rule that you use your thumb for the bass strings and the index, middle and ring fingers for the bottom strings.

Arpeggios are just the notes of the chord played individually on an instrument instead of together. Even this is a G major arpeggio:

A----2--5--
    E-3--------

Arpeggios are used everywhere....the most famous instance of which, perhaps, would be the last fast solo in Sultans of Swing where Mark Knopfler just finger picks the Dm, Bb and C major arpeggios.

So fingerpicking is a style of picking notes where as arpeggios are the notes you play.

Examples of Arpeggios:

C major: C E G
    C minor: C Eb G
    C Dom7: C E G Bb
    C Maj7: C E G B
    C min7: C Eb G Bb

A lot of guitarists use huge runs from arpeggios. They just connect a few arpeggios together and make a long lick. eg- from the G major arpeggio:

----------------------7--10----15------
    -------------------8---------------------
    -------------4--7------------------------
    ----------5------------------------------
    ----2--5---------------------------------
    -3--------------------------------------

The notes played were: G B D G B D G B D G

but its a long run that sounds nice over the G major chord. If you want to learn more about arpeggios study "Sultans of Swing" by Dire Straits.

Alternatively, If you want to learn more about "Sultans of Swing", study arpeggios. :)

sixstringsin and vini like this.
  5. vini

vini Repeat Offender

nice explanations BJR...reps for u

6. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

tht post wala was me wen i gave the chords of kal ho nah ho..and bjr nice explanation yaar...

7. DJCrunkMix

Thank you very much bjr for your explanation.

Edit: Abhi, if possible can you post a recording of 'Kal ho naa ho' song that you posted chords for ? I'd appreciate it...

Thanks !