What does it take to become a good lead player?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nehemiah, Feb 12, 2005.

1. shak

shak Harrr!

LMAO!!! .... thnx for advertising me dennis!! .. (damn cant stop laughing) ...
    but i dont think anyone will be willing to pay me for the lesson ... hahahah ... i've already recieved a number of bad reps becuz of posting my ideas in this thread (i still dunno WHY??? :mad: )... LOL

d_ist_urb_ed and dennis like this.
  2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

u kiddin me..bad rep??..lemme balance it out ;)

3. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

well said, dennis, i am ready to pay u shahrukh, tell me, what is tapping, sweeping and things like hammer, how exactly do you do them on the guitar and can they be done on an acoustic?

4. shak

shak Harrr!

dennis was kidding....
    anyways here i go again .... (bw there have been articles posted here at IGT on tapping sweeping etc. go through them for more detailed explanations)

hammer:
    well i think the techincal term for this tech. is "hammer-on" ... but hammer will do ... anyways .. when doing hammer-ons you pick a note .. then while sustaining it you "hammer" your other finger on a "higher" note ...
    e.g: hold down ....say .... 10th fret g-string with index finger ... pick the note ... and without taking pressure off the index finger slam your 3rd finger on 12th fret (same string) ..and then sustain again ... without picking of-course...this will give you and instantaneous pitch change of one-whole note without sliding etc. .. you can hammer-on for half notes or even 3 notes ... depending on your finger stretch and strength.

Tapping:
    no need to use your plectrum to pick notes, fret at .....say.... 10th fret on g-string with your index finger ... place your 3rd finger on 12th fret same string .... then start doing very quick hammer-ons and pull-offs ... (pull-offs are exact opposite of hammer-ons...you pick 12th note and then take your finger off while you already have your index finger fretting 10th note ...) ... once you get comfortable with it and gain some rhythm ,... then bring your right hand (picking hand) start hammering the g-string on 15th note with your right-index finger (or middle ... however you feel comfortable) ... while doing hammer-ons and pull-offs with your left hand .. .try to slot in your 15th fret hammers with your left hand magic .... and there you'll have tapping tech. in your pocket!!!

i have aways defined the tapping as "the dance of sonic sheets of music layer upon layer" ... beautiful ...

sweepig:
    LOL i cant do this properly my-self ... no doubt the one of the hardest guitar tech. out there ... .
    (check the sweeping appregios by 6th string in tutorial section) ...
    see if you can play them with minimum picking ... that will give you an intro into seep pickin

and as far as accousitc goes ... hammer-ons can be done on accousitcs... so can tapping ... but a bit unsure about sweep picking..

hope this helps ...

5. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i second that. too many covers u learn is very bad and damaging ur own creativity.

@shahrukh, oh thanks for advertising my tuto. :p:

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

the trick is to know each note on the guitar "cold" as steve vai refers to it.

7. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

what does steve vai mean by COLD ???

8. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

"Cold" means, learning them perfectly, so that you can effortlessly glide throughout the fretboard. Easy for him to say, he's got Absolute Pitch.

9. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

@disturbed, i've heard u r pretty quick on the fretboard. how do you do it and how long beore you could blaze? how did you begin? tell me everything

10. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i don't think so..
    know each note on the guitar 'cold', by this i think he means know each and every note the same way as you know your way home..know how every note sounds, know how every note can sound like (and how).

11. d_ist_urb_ed

What do you think i meant when i referred to absolute pitch?

12. d_ist_urb_ed

@nehemiah, where did you hear that?:shock: I suck dude, totally on the guitar.

13. hell_boy

hell_boy New Member

u know buddy, if u really wanna be a good lead player learn to play signature riffts/licks & arpeggio(broken chords).allways remember each lead guitarist has his own signature style find your own signature style &develop it other wise following others licks will only make u a copy cat not an artist.............
    one major trick for playing fast=>> try playing a arpeggio with eyes closed
    chow

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

You dont need to play fast to become a good lead player.Eg. Dave Gilmour.

15. nadish

nadish Active Member

Fantastic tips Shahrukh....

16. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

@hellboy...you know with so many people playin you ultimately end up copyin someone or the other and what is arpeggio