What do i need to connect my guitar to computer

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Ramachandran, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Ramachandran

Ramachandran New Member

Hey guys,

I have been watching this forum for a while and thought i would do some contribution of my own. So, first think i want is to record my playing in my PC.

Can anyone tell me what interface ( hardware ) should i buy to do that ? I visited some local shops, but they did not give me good response about this.

Thanks,
    Ramachandran

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Assuming that you have an electric guitar, you get a pin that you plug into one end of the guitar cable and you just run it into the mic port. You do the same for an acoustic electric. For an acoustic guitar, i think you'd need a good recording microphone. I dont think any hardware apart from a proper sound card is required. Experts, correct me if i'm wrong.

3. khaleelda1

khaleelda1 New Member

well disturbed has pretty much asnwered it.....

theres nothing more that u need.....

electric guitar: plug the end(which goes into the amp ) into the mic jack behind ur comp.......alternatively u can also connect the guitar to the effect box / pedal and then connect that to ur comp....

acoustic: if ur guitar has a pickup.......then connect the guitar straight to the mic jack behind ur comp......or else u need to use a good microphone.....
    which microphone to use??? well thats a tough question.......search around on the net......u'll get to leaarn a lot about different mics.....simple, reverb etc etc.......for starters.....any mic would do......

i guess i did not confuse u with all this blabber.....

4. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

You'll need a pin before you can connect the guitar cable to the mic port. It (should be) is fairly easy to find and purchase.

I used a Shure microphone when i recorded, but that's high end. Just look around and see what you can afford that's not too shabby.

5. Ozze

Ozze New Member

simplest way put ur microphone conected to PC near to your guitar :)

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

if you connect it to the mic port ..the quality will be horrible ..you are outputing an analog instrument into a stereo input so you cant expect much..If you want good quality recordings,it can be done only through usb or using a quality microphone

7. khaleelda1

khaleelda1 New Member

Satch.....i m sorry but......

analog and stereo.......are two diferent concepts alltogether..

on one side u have mono vs stereo
    on the other hand u have analog vs digital.....

acoustic guitar is an analog device with mono sound......and the mic port on all the comps can hadle both mono and stereo.....

the only hiccup would be the wire that you use.....i m not VERY sure.....but i think the line in cablle has to be mono......

and Ozze.......microphone is the simplest way.......provided u are in a quite room.......or atleast ur mic is a unidirectional mic....
    or else u'll endup recording the cars going by on the road, and ur Mom shouting at u to turn the volume down(which happened in my case)

8. Ozze

Ozze New Member

lolz kahleelda that happen with u too :)... that was my personel xprience i was sharing with u ppl . just one i started n i,,ve got nothin to plug with so that y i called it a simple one

9. guitarhelper

guitarhelper New Member