What a second hand guitar's really worth...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by pavandude, Jan 27, 2006.

1. pavandude

pavandude New Member

I'm plannin to purchase a fender squier strat rosewood [supposedly imported], 3 yrs old.How much do you think will it be actually worth.
    And plz give ur valuable suggestions bout the guitar......

2. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

well dude,

It depends on where its being imported from and the quality of it. In the states, a used fnder squier strat is worth between $ 100-500 easy. You mite wanna check out where you're importing it from and the condition of it. Experiences vary... good luck :)

3. pavandude

pavandude New Member

Actually its a person selling it in BLR itself, he says its an imported one when he go it fresh.

4. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

5. pavandude

pavandude New Member

U mean to say mint new fender costs 5k or a 2nd hand one. This ones an affinity series. I think he got it imported hand carried. So u say 8k is too much ???

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

d00d
    You need to feel the guitar to judge its worth.
    We sitting here cannot actually judge the value. Even if the guitar is in mint condition, its pots could've worn out, its fret not in uniform height etc.
    It will still look fresh and new.

However, I have seen some really worn out looking guitars (paint job screwed, fretbaord "looks" screwed up; BUT, you play them, and it feels as if it was meant to be played by you.

What sanjivdas mentions holds true in general.

Actually 8K is on borderline of being a rip off in this case. Had it been more than 10K we could ve asked straightaway to buy a new guitar, or had it been less than 5-6K than buy it, come what may.

So ultimately you gotta decide.
    There are a lotsa bangalore d00ds here on this forum. Get hold of one to help you.
    Sanjivdas is one.
    Ronnieanand, Chintan, sridhar .....

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

OH B.T.W
    PETUNIA!
    am surprised to see you here, on guitar gear.

Hola PAVAN: you can get a brand new custom made guitar for 8K from Chennai.
    The guy's brand name is Tulsi.

8. pavandude

pavandude New Member

Thnxx aplha1, but wen i said 'mint new' i meant not bout the condition of the 2nd hand but a brand new fender rosewood. I actually wanna know how much the same model costs brand new from a local fender dealer.

9. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

My friend, you can get brand new Affinity series Squier Strats in the US for as low as USD 99, which is like Rs. 4400. And the prices were exactly the same 3 years ago too. Why do you want to pay Rs. 8000 for something which was USD 99 3 years back? For 6.5K, you can get a very good GB&A or J&D brothers strat. For 10K, you will get and Ibanez GRX20. Like I said, the affinity series squiers are quite bottom of the barrel. If you feel good playing the guitar and like the look etc, you could consider 6 K at the most. Anything over would be a rip off in my books.

10. pavandude

pavandude New Member

Yeah, i think u r right, i kinda figured out its a bit too much, wat r ur suggestions about a johnson guitar 2nd hand ???

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I have absolutely no idea about Johnson. Also, you need to post more deatils about the guitar and the price for us to judge.

12. pavandude

pavandude New Member

13. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

LLMMAOO>>
    Surprise Surprise!!!
    ..no actually saw this as a new post..and a friend of mne has a squier..so i looked in on it. Dont worry, dude...this aint my deprtment. :grin:

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Whatever!
    I think I love your "wilted" state anyway.

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Pavan d00d, get a custom made.
    End of most of your problems.