want advice on how to progress my skill

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by slayersid18, Aug 18, 2009.

1. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

hey guys, i've been playing my acoustic for two years and an electric for a year...i can play stuff like bon jovi and some nice chord-oriented music like green day or bryan adams...wat i find is i'm absolutely stunned and have this big question mark on my forehead when it comes to classic stuff like Petrucci or Vai or Satriani.

I mean, i know getting their kind of music and being able to play that way requires a lot of dedication, practice and stuff, but how to I get myself some sense of direction??

Ppl tell me do scales, arpeggios, tapping, hammer-ons and stuff...i get lost when i see all those phyrgian/ionian/dorian/what-notian scales and all that 'schnozz.' I can't get myself to apply that knowledge either....

Any idea how i can get past this guitarist's block i'm facing right now??

2. distorted

distorted satan

Practice scales... They'll help u in undstanding the fretboard n improve fingerwork..
    play a few chords of a scale in any rhythm, record it, n try to play random notes of the scale from all over the fretboard.
    Slowly try to put ideas into wt u play, lyk, try to express a certain feel in wt u play... It'll come slowly...
    N listen to METAL

3. slayersid18

slayersid18 New Member

@distorted: Danke!
    Well, i do listen to some metal...Metallica, bit of System of A Down, Children of Bodom...I'm more of a hard rock guy...stuff like Velvet Revolver...okay then scales practice will try to get the hang of it