Wah Wah Pedal

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by hacknslash, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You needn't beg to differ. You can just say you differ :p: ...

You should check out Peter Frampton Live, then you will know what I mean...

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmmm, so which Wah pedals sounds strongest?
    Like a duck's quack. (qvak for the scandinavians)

3. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

accordin to me . usage of wah pedal is for people who need help in the solos they play ....!!! maybe that sounds dumb but

just look at some of the greatest solos made and you will notice that very few of them have used wah-wah in it ..its just the plain distorted sound or the classic clean sound that all the great musicians use in there solos. .and by great musicians i mean really all the blues players like b.b king for example ....wat about buckethead !!! one of the greatest guitarist's in the world.

hell you can even say kurt cobain ..sure he wasnt a good guitarist but as a musician and composer ...he was real good.

most of the guys like kirk and slash ..i mean look at there best solos .would you listen to 1 min solo of november rain with slash banging the wah pedal !!!..

people must understand that wah is just another effect and it aint compulsory to use in every solo ..sure once in a while you can use it but nowadays ..everybody seem to be floodin their solos,atleast some parts of it with wah ..

now you people may say jimi hendrix was the greatest guitarist and he used or practically endorsed wah blaj blah blah..well..jimi is the greatest song writer and composer in the world...but everybody knows he is not the greatest guitarist ...i would personally say it will be one of the G3 fellows .

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmmm
    Then what about Stevie Ray Vaughn?

And then what about John Petrucci?

What about Joe Satriani?
    Take your comments back.

5. ronnieanand

@Satch Attack... You say that Jimi Hendrix is not a great guitarist :shock: :shock: :shock: ..... It's like talking too much of something you just dont know at all.... He has been the greatest innovator in the concept of electric guitar playing. The whole idea of hard guitar playing originated from him. He is even credited as the Father of Heavy Metal Guitar playing..

I dont know if you have heard songs like Voodoo Chile or White Room and you can you imagine them without a Wah being played there. Both of these solos are again one of the greatest solos of all time.. I agree some players mask their sloppy playing with the Wah but that's not with everybody. Players like Slash, Kirk Hammet are all true genius and know when to Wah and when not to Wah...

In the late 60s emerged a lot of bands that played music loud and hard. Bands like DP, Uriah Heep, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and all of them were inspired by Hendirx with this idea. Of couruse each one of them took the idea in their own directions but the whole rock / metal scene is due to Hendrix.

6. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

well..he is the greatest inovator nal ..he practically made the wah-pedal..wat im talkin about is pure guitaring skills...i mean technically .i mean chops wise ..i mean speed-wise ... come on .i am speaking purely on the basis of these ..but everybody knows and thinks JIMI is the greatest guitarist ..he is ..in certain aspects ..well who else can use a E chord in so many different ways and make it sound so good but overall...joe sat and john petrucci and steve vai can blow jimi of stage if they play side by side ..well..actually ..jimi will roll himself outa the stage if you get what i mean !!!!

.but there is always the old sayin ..."well why do you play like this ???? well thats cuz jimi hendirx does !!! " and I myself have heard it a few times ..and there are thousands of things that jimi invented .he is indeed the greatest inovator but he is not the Greatest guitarist ...listen to SRV play little wing and listen to jimi play it...or even listen to steve vai play it ..guitaring wise..they play it much better than jimi himself !!!!

and also there is a difference between great guitarist and greatest guitarist ron !!!

regarding SRV and john and joe and steve vai ..come on ..thes guys use the wah pedal once in a blue moon ..they have very few songs using the wah pedal ..and no i wont take anythin back !!!

regarding voodoo child and purple haze and star spangled banner and hey joe and .......etc.......yeah..they are all great songs by jimi ..all of them havin killer intros in which jimi basically shows everybody in the world how to use the wah pedal ....but do you think all those songs and there solos would have sounded bad without the wah pedal.or better that people wouldnt have listen to them ..no way..whether jimi used the wah pedal or not ..all these songs and there solos would have still sounded great and would have still become popular ..but it was made famous because it used wah in im ..thats all !!...

well since you seem to like the wah solos so much..listen to a wah solo and listen to sultans of swing or listen to any of eddies songs or santana's solos..these guys will teach you how to solo great without usin a stupid wah pedal ..listen to hotel cal ..listen to ....there are literally 1000's of solos which are brilliant ..name 20 .k..10 great wah solos ..

and regarding kirk.hmmmmmm.........

name a few metallica solos he played without a wah pedal ??how many will we have ...2-3 songs !!!!! talk about knowin when to use the pedal to him !!!!!!...and slash..he aint even a good guitarist in my book ..plays with a plythora of effects but his solos indeed sound sweet ..but it aint worth talkin about him .

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    You know all that you said I can say for the Whammy Bar also.

Hmmm ...... now lemme extend the argument.
    Anyone who uses a whammy bar has no guitaring skills to speak of.
    I mean technically.

So Steve Vai doenst know how to play.
    Eddie Van Halen doesnt know how to play.
    Joe Satriani doesnt know how to play.

and the list goes on.

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey Satch, Slash used to use the least effects.
    He used Wah, even delay he used very less.

Mostly it was guitar -> Wah -> marshall amp.

9. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Dude are you saying that people who use wah are crap or are you trying to persuade everyone to throw away their wah pedals and persuading people not to buy anymore. Cause of all the things you said this is what i understood.

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Jimi is not the fastest guitarist around, but the point is he didnt need to be. I can spend more time listening to jimi than any of the neo classical shredders. After a time, all that fast playin tends to get boring and repetitive, but the music that hendrix made.....now that I have never tired of.

You also have to consider the fact that most of todays guitar gods would not have been inspired to pick up the guitar if it werent fo jimi. Heck he started the whole distorted/overdriven guitar style

As for gr8 solos Voodoo Child comes to mind

And how could we forget...Sweet child of mine ;)

Actually, slash used both a talk box AND a wah :beer:

11. ronnieanand

@Satch.... What are you talking....At his time in the 60s, he was definitely the fastest guitarist. If Vai or Satch were present then, they wouldn;t have even dared to get on stage with Jimi. Right from equipments to recording gear everything was so low-fi and Jimi could manage to get all those with such limitations. Whatever be it... You are not going anywhere if you dont respect great guitarists. Just shows your immaturity and ignorance and also you will lack great lessons from these great players. Even skillfully Jimi Hendrix is an absolutely superior player. People like Satch, Hendrix, Malmsteen, Vai, etc... all worship Hendrix. Each of these players give great respect to Hendrix's playing skills. Do you think you are way ahead of these guys calling Hendrix crap....
    I am sure, you are not going to get convinced but remember it takes a great deal to become what each one of those have achieved. Like it or not it's not simple and not everyone could do it. A few world class really stand apart. Check out Slash and check out Buckethead. Just by the tone and playing maturity, you know each of these deserved what they were and what they are.. Bottomline is if you are true music lover, first learn to respect musicians. Once you respect, you will have a whole new perception about music. So GROW UP.

12. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

regardin the whammy bar thing ,yes...definetely you can talk about the same way as the wah pedal ,but the whammy requires a lot more control then a wah pedal ..to do im dive bombs porperly and al the bends properly while pickin is a techinque by itself..not that using a wah pedal is easy ..when you get really into the wah pedal you will understand it aint that easy to use properly ..but you can pickup the wah pedal much faster than the whammy bar..

TO ron, word of advice

READ THE POST MADE PORPERLY BEFORE YOU POST IN RESPONSE TO IT !!!!!!!!!!

woah..RON ..cool down man ..first of all..i never said jimi isnt a great player ..and never said that he sucks or cant play for dirt or anything ..i mainly pulled jimi hendrix into this is because when i said that only sloppy players use the wah ,i know 1000's of you out there will say ..
    "
    wat the hell are you talkin about...jimi used or made the wah pedal ,so do you think he is sloppy ??? "

let me just condense wateva i said ..

1) JIMI is indeed a great player , he has done so many things with the electric that nobody would even dare try and be successful doin ..he invented countless chords and techniques and ..etc.etc ..to many to name we even have a chord called the hendrix chord which he used in many of his songs.
    great player .greatest innovator ..greatest musician (watch the tense !!)

2) Come on ron , if you know jimi so well, whenever i say the G3 guys are superior technically ,,you say skilfully ..now these are two completely different things ..skill and technique ..both you and I know that jimi is technically not as afluent as satch or vai or john .....and So what if they had picked up the guitar after seeing jimi ..he was the greatest player then.so everybody did indeed want to be like him !!!!!!!! That was in the 60s ..come on man ..that was the time yngwie and john and satch etc..etc..picked up the guitar and started playing ...so what are you tryin to say .they have bein playin for 30 yrs and they done "play" better than jimi ??...

and guys ,since you talk as though you know a lot about jimi ..did you people know that jimi's theory knowledge was ZERO ...he played from his heart ..not learning some scales and chords and what not

..and ron ..considerin the "grow-up" part ..hhaahhhah
    you cant pickup any intrument without respectin the people who play it !!! and in the end of the day ,even if i had stated somewhere which is not possible that jimi plays like crap ,,it aint gonna change much will it !!!and ron .next time , think of me as a 2yr old so you can avoid the grown-up part !!

regardin the music lover thing , i listen to everythin from aqua and britney to slayer and slipknot ..a true music lover will listen to any piece of music and respect it ..respect is key in makin music ,pickin up an intrument,regardin anythin to music..i thought you would have understood that by now.

and I would like to tell you all that ,i picked up the guitar after listening to voodoo child intro !!!!

does that settle it or you wanna continue RON ....its your call..and remember read the post properly ! funny what started out as a wah pedal discussion has become a topic about jimi hendrix..people..please understand the reasons why jimi became and still is such a famous and great persononality before you post some rubbish about him !!

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Gaah!
    Nice flaming here.

What do ppl think about Morley Wah? The Bad Horsie one?

14. rohit

rohit New Member

you just can't compare jimi hendrix and guys like joe satriani ,steve vai. as time goes by the standards change.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Most reviews I've read, ppl I've talked to say that it isnt worth the money. It is nowhere near as flexible as the dunlop crybaby.

16. ronnieanand

I owned a Bad Horsie for sometime... If I meet Steve Vai, I am gonna sue him for the losses and also for losing peace of mind of owning such a piece of crap..

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    I wonder why he doesnt use the Wah endorsed by him.

18. ronnieanand

'cos it sucks... He uses this Buddha Bud wah but they dont pay him money... He uses Vintage Cry Baby too and Thomas Organ doesn't exist to pay him money...

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ah
    c'mon ......

His wife is a model besides he milks honeybees, must be earning a hell lot.

20. ronnieanand

Wont you still use your Tulasi guitar but keep telling people that you use only Givsons and wont touch anything else in your life if Givson agrees to pay you 1 Lakh a month... You are earning too..