Using the Pinkie to Play Guitar Scales

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by DrSaurabh, Nov 22, 2004.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Using the pinkie

Hi,
    was watchin slash play ..and i noticed that even he does not use his pinkie when ever hes playin slower parts..tho he is really efficient at doin it.he only uses his pinkie when he plays those blistering solos...which he does with a lot of panache....when playin the slower parts he actually keeps the pinkie rolled up....and use only 3 fingers.....
    so tell me hoe important is it really to have a pinkie as strong as the other 3 fingers...thoi do use the pinkie quiet decently....i wanna know if i can do without it.....tho there are pieces i prefer playin with the pinkie(sweet child intro)
    Commments on pinkie usage?

P.S:slash also uses hiis thumb often...:)

2. dr.saurabh...there are other guitar players too..
    till date ive only heard abt slash and guns n roses from ur side..
    playing exactly like ur guitar hero shouldnt be ur priority..
    the use of the pinky is imp..i use it all the time coz i feel comfortable..
    my pinky does more work than the other fingers probably..
    there are exercises to strengthen ur little finger..but the best way to develop it would be to use it often..
    the thumb is mailnly used to mute the strings..though he might play wid them once in a while..
    the basic fact y pinkies are hard to develop is that the ring finger and the pinky share the same tendon ..while other fingers have seperate tendons for them...
    so its harder to play with ur little finger..
    hope this helps a bit..
    my 2 bucks worth of talk
    cheers
    dimebag

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@dime..i get it...there are other players....i prefer to play like slash......
    as to the ring finger and the pinky sharing the same tendon....depends on whether ur talkin about the flexor compartment or the extensor compartment of ur hand....

4. i got 40/100 in bio..so dont know abt flezor or whatever..but i had read the info a while back from a reliable source..and while playin guitar it applies..
    see saurabh..a humble advice from my side...
    play like ur self and not like ur guitar hero..that way ull get somewhere wid ur playin and not be limited..
    my 2 bucks worth of advice.
    dimebag

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

;)..appreciate the advice..its just that i really dont find anybody elses playing as prolific...yeah i know am gonna burn a lot of people with this...but.........according to me he is the best..and thats y i try to be like himm......keeps me practicising...so am not complainin....keeps me morkin harder at my playing:)

6. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Guys i agree wit Dr. S.

Slash has influenced so many people and yes he is a great gitar player. I dont play with his style but if i have to i would, For example when playing leads almost all the time on Appetite Slash rests his hand on the bridge to pick. I cant do that. Oh on Sweet Child, here

heres how to do it slash way (and my way)

Hit the first note which is 12 fret on the d string with your first finger.
    Hit the second note which is 15 fret on the B string with your third finger.
    Hit the 3rd note which is 14 fret on the G string with your 2nd finger
    Hit the 4th note which is 12 fret on the G string with your first finger.
    then finish it with the hard part.

Hit the 15 fret on the E string with 3rd finger then go to 14 fret on G string then
    hit the 14 fret on the E string with 3rd finger then go to 14 fret on G dtring again.

Remeber hit these notes all individually. It also helps if you are already prepared for the next note. Slash does his harder in Sweet Child. He uses a style called Economy Picking. It is picking the strings with as little wrist movement as pssible. It makes the tone sound even smoother but it is very hard. \

Heres the economy pciking way.

hit first note picking down.
    hit the the 2nd,3rd,4th note picking up
    hit 5th note picking down
    6th note picking up
    7th note picking down
    amd finish with picking 8th note up.

This is a very complicated maneuver but can be obtained with much practice.
    I only use economy picking when i want it to sound better. you may not recognize it but it helps.

Also slash is tuned down 1/2 a step. It also greatly helps if you have single coil pickups. Even though Slash uses Humbuckers it also sounds awesome on single pcikups.

if you have a strat or anything of the similar, as long as you have single coil pickups play the intro near the closest pickup next to the fretboard. It also gives it a humbucker feel.

For more ?'s on any GNR's songs or anything just ask.

Using the pinky to play it is fine, you dont need to do it slash's way. Whatever feels right use that.
    I dont use the pinky but if i did i wouldn't care. I dont like using pinkys in solos. Actualli i almost never use my pinky. I use my ring finger. ITs like my ring finger covers for my pinky and iv learned 26 GN'R songs without my pinky. Im proud of that.

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

not using pinky is nothing to be proud of..
    make use of wotever u've got. u'll find out how much u've missed out.

8. guns n roses

hey its my opinion. I dont like to use my pinky playing. The only places i use it is in my nose, on the Paradise City Outo, when i poke my friends when im playing guitar

9. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i dont know...wud really like to not use it...but when i finally nail a solo with the pinky it does feel good.....so confused....

10. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

then do wot feels good ;)

11. guns n roses

yea use your pinky then. I use pinkys in solos but rarely. :buu:

12. Mamasteen

Mamasteen <A-W-A-Y>

Did u ever have a lesson on the chromatic scale?

13. karan_Royal

karan_Royal re-chord

:war: No what is that? :mad: