Upgrading to an electric

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by preezer369, May 26, 2005.

1. preezer369

preezer369 New Member

hey IGTians!
    I was planning on buying an electric guitar and i needed some help..so i figured there's no place better than IGT to ask..and i already have read the guitar buying guides on igt...

heres some stuff you should take note of if you can give me advice..
    1. I've been playing an acoustic yamaha for almost 2 yrs
    2. I enjoy playing a variety of music excluding metal....i guess
    3. I wont have to spend extra on an amp b/c i already own a marshall amp..
    4. I need a tuner
    5. (I really like the looks of the Les Paul guitars, but Gibson is TOO expensive)
    6. My budget is around $300

If anyone has any info, please help me by posting it...

thanks! :music:

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

first ques:
    y do u need tuner ?...

get a processor ... tuner comes built in ... plus it gives a load of FX for which if u keep buying stomp boxes and pedals ... u'll surely exceed your budget ...

get an Epiphone (cheaper than Gibson) or Jackson ...

3. Bleeding Guitar

Bleeding Guitar New Member

preezer369: ur range is Preety good for a Normal guitar and a Processor. since u'v been playing acoustiv for 2 years go for a Normal electric to start with .. make ur self perfect .. do a GIG maybe u'll get a guitar as a present from the Owner of the Hall .. lol thats how i got ma Steve Flying V bro.

4. devilguitar

devilguitar New Member

hey Guys....I have a GB&A acoustic guitar and using it for last 5 moths..It was hell expensive. also have a Electric- Givson-Blue Diamond ( I know it sucks )

So can u tell me whether i get picks installed in my acostic or givson is good enough.
    if givson is good,, i don't have a processor..which one should i buy,,, ( my budget is rs. 6000 )..I have amp. also but it sucks..

5. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

pickups put on acoustic guitars will never be close to actual electric guitar feel.
    with a budget of around 6k maybe u can get a zoom 505II or a digitech RP-50.

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

to asnwer preezer:

u can get a decent epiphone les paul copy... if u want details i suggest u contact blackmamba and shahrukh - both own les pauls- blakcmamba owns a few - hes always seeling something or the other.. haha.... (as in one of his friends guitars, etc...) pm him - hell relaly be able top help u out....then maybe u an save up again and get a decent processor - like a korg or digitech rp... they arent bad....

7. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

thanks for putting in a good word death. PM me Preezer and I will see what I cans do.

Cheers!

8. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Death - BTW, Epiphone is not a Les Paul Copy - Epiphone is a company owned by Gibson and both companies are the only one licensed to make official Les Pauls...the rest are all copies. Just a correction!

9. The Pacifist

The Pacifist New Member

I'd say you get a processor from US. DONT BUY IT HERE. An RP50 here costs around 5000 bucks. I got it thru one of my friends in the US for $65. Thats a saving of above 2000 bucks. I think its because of the sheer quantity of such items sold in US compared to that sold here. You can invest the money in the guitar you're gonna buy.

Manav

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Actually Epiphone is a much older company than Gibson is. Gibson acquired Epiphone and is making a lot of copies of the Gibson guitars. Les Pauls are original Gibson models. Even if a licenced company makes it, still it's only a copy, Infact Epiphone used to a high quality guitar maker till Gibson bought and brought their unit to China / Indonesia.

11. sayanakaharry

@pacifist
    you damn right mate. things are so much cheaper in the US. also if you buy on the web thru sites like www.zzounds.com they offer 40-50 percent discounts. and the products are fantastic.

12. preezer369

preezer369 New Member

thanks for all the help...the reason i stated that i needed a tuner was b/c i dont want to spend a lot more money on things other than the guitar..and i had no idea what a processors was lol... :)

are there anythings that i need to make sure to look out for when buying a guitar (types of pickups, strings, etc)?

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

if u but a good quality guitar ... the rest will come built into the package ... so ya dont havta worry about 'em ...

i prefer light strings ... some prefer heavy strings ... light strings will allow you to bend easily ... heavy strings will sound much better (more sustain/resonance/timbre etc) ... each one has its own choice ... go to the shop and try ...

same with pickups ... chose humbucker only if u really like the sound ... coz to me most of the time it sounds too muddy and fat (again each person will have his own choice) ...

two pickups are more than enuff (the fender stratocaster replicas) have 3 pickups - believe me u wont be using the middle pickup ever ... so no point paying xtra for that middle pickup ...

and yeah buy a decent amplifier ... even if u are using a processor for overdrive/distortion ... u'll need to keep yer amplifier on clean (diff amps sound diff in their clean settings also) ...
    b.t.w. the builtin overdrive in amps sounds very mellow (have not been able to get that kinda sound from my processor till now)

if u wanna get even a step further ... the diff kinda wood produces a diff kinda sound in the guitar ... but i have not been able to make out that much diff till now ... so i think it is mostly high funda stuff :) ... which doesnt matter too much much to me ...

14. sayanakaharry

single coil pickups do nicely for most beginners. as for strings, as slayer said. light one (preferably .009 - .042) are good for bends.

15. deathdr_87

99% use .009 guage strings... theyre widely used as are 0.010 guage - rest arehnt used that often thoguh some ppl prefer the other guage strings...

@blackmamba - thats wat imeant only.... i consider squiers fender copies and i use the same logic for epis and all other licensed producers - its just not the original... agreed thoguh - unlicensed manufactures are actual copies.. epihpohen isnt really copying - but is actaully the outsoruced producer of gibson goods... (in some weird sort of way - not technically - but it can be looked at like that....)

on an lp- u might not want 3 pups - lps dont regualrly come with 3 pups- most of which ive seen have 2 pups - im sure that 3 would work just fine as well.... depends on how versatile u want the tone to be - some ppl require that option of the 3rd pup to give more tone control... it also gives really nice clean tones... for distortion though - ull msotly use ur bridge humbucker... so make sure u get a nice pupo there.the neck pup wont be used as much as the bridge one....

16. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Hey death - Thanks for that. Interestingly, there's a guitar company in korea that my friend has been speaking to and they *claim* to make all the ESP guitars....so i asked him for 2 samples....dunno if they will ever reach me...if they will...I will donate it to IGT members - whoever can play the YYZ solo for me (making it easy for you guys)....hehe! Will keep you updated on this!

17. preezer369

preezer369 New Member

thanks for the help, but i have another question....

I'm leaning towards buying an epiphone (a les paul), Ibanez, or fender, but i dont know which guitar from those companies is right to consider..for example i know that ephiphone makes les paul that range from $100- up (Les paul jr, les paul stand., quilt top, les paul II, etc.) but idk which one is right...and then from fender there are diff strat models and esquires (which come with an extra amp i dont need)..HELP :shock:

18. deathdr_87

u only get an amp in a starter pack - dont even look at these - msot are really bad... u can rarey find a good package deal... as in the guitrars in them are jsut really bad....

https://www.zzounds.com/item--JAC2902000/view--Transparent+Black

now thats a good deal - i think u can get a jackson keppy here for jsut over 300 dollars - by blemished they mean that the artwork is slight ruined - trust me - u wont mind that after u play this guitar for 300 dollars!!!

order it as soon as psosible and try to get it

19. deathdr_87

sorry emant jackson kelly

some toher really good deals i saw jsut today were on guitartrader - thjey have a closeout sale and are offering 50% discoutns on select models - if u are buying from the us - now is the time to buy!!!

awesome deals everywhere... buy quick - in a month the new models will come out and prices will go up again

20. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Nice one Death....maybe I'll pick a couple from guitartrader as well!

Preezer - there's nothing like a right or best guitar. Actually you've go to try a couple and see if you like their feel, tone - sometimes even the weight - the Les Pauls are not exactly light you see....so play a few and decide...if you in Mumbai, I can let you try the Epiphone Les Paul Custom I have and also the Ibanez Jem copy so you can see the difference.....