Tuning for Barre chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by subbu567, Aug 3, 2006.

1. subbu567

subbu567 New Member

Dear Experts

I am trying to graduate to playing barre chords.I am facing a problem the chords sound so high especially when you play c on 8th fret,d on 7th and so on...as a result I am not able to sing along with these chords as I am used to singing in the open chord pitch!Therefore is there a way to down tune the guitar ie reduce the tension the strings so that the barre chords on higher frets sound better?

I am beginner-There fore excuse me if the question is very basic or even weird!

Thanks in ancticipation for the help!
    Subbu567

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

If you downtune your guitar the notes will change and u will have to sing in a diff pitch
    you dont have to cange your pitch when switching between barre and open chords, its all the same.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You should sing in same fashion as you would for open chords.
    If it sounds out of tune, you guitar IS probably out of tune. And if it aint, then your guitar's intonation is out.

4. subbu567

subbu567 New Member

Thanks Alpha 1 and ambush for taking time out to read and respond to my question...

What is intonation?Fyi I am using a new Yamaha F310 acoustic,and I also have a old Givson,in both I find this a problem...

Ambush :I have seen people downtuning to the standard form with low tension as well as high tension on the strings..or am I wrong..wont there be another position for every string which is a lower octave of the open note when loosened?

thanks
    Subbu.

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

In wester music each note has a specific frequency eg the open 6th string(E)
    should be exactly of the frequency 82hz

If you downtune the guitar by half step and play the barre chord at the 8th fret the chord becomes a Bmaj chord intead of the C

If you use this chord and sing along you will be singing in a diff key

Hope im gettin the point thru

6. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Read the attachment

Attached Files: