TS808 Tubescreamer

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, May 8, 2006.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Finally I got my TS808 Tubescreamer....

Played it through all my guitars. Two of them have humbuckers and one has a single coil set... The Tubescreamer is biased towards single coils.. I tried using them as a Clean Boost to drive a Distortion, then used as a clean boost for volume and mid boost for solos and also as a stand alone distortion...

As a stand alone distortion it's pretty decent with humbuckers but a killer with single coils...I played some Lead Rhythm kinda playing it sounded absolutely awesome. Does give a hint of the SRV kinda tone but only with single coils.. With humbucker it's decent but not over the top like how it reacts with single coils... The TS7 I have tried before had a bit of fuzz but TS808 is absolutely good. As a solo boost, I didn't try too many settings just kept it at a random thing and played... It gave me hints of how wild it can get... Also drove the distortion of a Peavey amp with this... Since the amp was kappoot so couldn't make it out much...

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Congrats dude. I kinda knew that single coils would work better tone wise since singles have a distinctive edge in the sound unlike humbuckers (some of them sound very bland with no tone what so ever). I like my singles sound on my cheap strat through a Bad Monkey (my pickups are'nt strong enough to get a strong tone though, i'll be purchasing overwound pickups soon though).

I guess you'd need a tube amp to see how good a TS808 works as a boost.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Bravo!

This is a cool thing that I missed :cry1:

4. sridhar11_2

Dude will you ever get your pedal??

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

And I was there to witness it in full glory:p:

6. Double Click

Double Click New Member

I swear, one of these days.... I'm gonna sneak into your house and flick some of your pedals.........Now all I gotto do is find your house.

errr heehee ronnie bhaiya where's u'r house? can I come over sometime?

PS Sorry if I sound a lil crazy 2 day, I just found out that I flunked my Civil internal...CIVIL of all things.....HECk, NO ONE FLUNKS CIVIL!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I see you are unable to fight GAS. ;) lol

Congratulations!

8. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Congrats ronnie, I realy like tube overdrive pedals....

9. ronnieanand

I also tried out Nebu's Silver Dragon... In it's low gain mode and played through my Strat with the Tulsi's bright amp, it sounds absolutely tweedy...When I tried playing some Hendrix, I could see Nebu drooling over his pedal..... That Silver Dragon is a killer... I liked the low gain mode a lot more than the high gain mode...

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Great, next you should try mating t00bscreamer with Tri-AC.
    I almost ejaculated hearing teh raw Marshall plexi tone.

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Hey Ronnie, congrats for the 808.

Also, my cousin suddenly decided to come in from Canada, and in a bout of GAS I asked him for a TS7 and the GCB 95 Wah. I did not know better, the TS7 was cheap so I asked him for it, I am really short on cash (and gear is so much more expensive in Canada, even online).

Could you guys please tell me how the TS7 is? I have a squier strat, and a RG321MH, which is a hardtail gutar with two humbuckers, good sustain and warm tone types. How would the TS7 behave with these guitars? I know its late now, but is the TS7 a decent buy? I'm getting it for close to USD 65.

Sanjiv

12. sridhar11_2

well since you already bought it you cant do much now :p: . But in any case i've heard good things bout the pedal so dont worry.

13. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

cograts bugga!! When can i play it?

14. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hell yeah..the Dragon was killing with the Lace sensors on Ronnie's Squier strat..
    it's a somewhat broken piece(some switch/valve trouble) and i have a feeling the sound varies from time to time..I do have a new one on the way though:grin:
    And the TS808?? ..well,sounded like a TS should :drool:..smooth, creamy, delicious..that famous mid boosted overdrive tone, and that too right out of the box, without much tweaking..

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

First of all, Congrats Ronnie Uncle.

I just have a question, how is the TS's overdrive stand alone. As in how good is the overdrive with a SS Amp. I was looking for an overdrive pedal.

16. ronnieanand

Hey,
    I have played the TS7. It's an amazing pedal.. There are too modes TS9 and Hot... The Hot Mode is a bit fuzzy but the TS9 mode is really good. I love it when used as a solo boost..TS808 is pretty different.. TS7 is also more responsive to picking than TS808.. But tonally I prefer the TS808.. It's got that Tubescreamer magic but without the fuzz thingy in it..

17. ronnieanand

It just depends on what you want to play.... If you want a slight dirty semi clean, then go ahead with this. If you want a nice rock n roll overdrive then buy a Jacques Tubeblower which is much cheaper than a TS808 or a Keeley modded BD2. Keeley Modded BD2 is a killer on stage..In my last gig, I had at least 50 people coming and talking to me about the tone I had... This time mostly I used the BD2.. Blues Driver kick ass seriously...

18. ronnieanand

You know where I live, so why wait.....

19. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Cool , thanks for the reassurance. Also, a lucky coincidence is, I asked my cousin to pick up the pedal from www.songbirdmusic.com. It so appears the songbird owner and my cousin are mates since the 4th grade, and the guy is a musician himself, ex band member and now a songwriter. So I am hoping my cousin got the pedals at a decent price. The songbird guy has also said he will give me a mod for the TS7 which he got off some pedal tech in Canada. Involves changing two resistors and the op amp it seems. He was mentioning the op am is weak and has less slew, thats why it creates the fuzz. Cousin reaches on sunday, I will update you guys after that. I also asked him to get Fender Bullet end strings. Ronnie, now that you have a strat, try those. Its such a nightmare trying to get the old ball ends ut of the trem cavity, bullet ends are so much better to change. Unfortunately, they are available in very few places in India.