Truss Rod?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sidtheimmortal, Jun 13, 2008.

1. sidtheimmortal

sidtheimmortal New Member

Hi!...what is this truss rod guys?(plz dont get angry on me!...)..........when do u know ur guitar's truss rod needs adjustment and how to adjust it?...and how much does it affects the sound of an electric Guitar?.........plz help!

2. pasterofmuppets

pasterofmuppets New Member

see truss tod is a iron rod inside d neck of ur guitar....its purpose is to make sure that ur neck remains straight...well every guitar has a truss rod[with some rare exceptions] and to adjst is u need to find a triangle shape plastic cover in d headstock of ur guitar[ where u tune d string]....wen u find dat opn it n u will fing d truss rod.....u mite need a special type of wrinch to adjust it.....turning it anticlockwise or vice versa ur guitar neck will bend either forwards or backwards. i would recommened that u take it to a professional to get that adjusted. it is turned to get rid of fret buzz[ i adjusted mine cos of this] and to adjust d action[ the distance between d strings and d fret board].......hope dis was helpful enough

3. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

ok sid the truss rod..
    now u see the neck of the guitar bears the tension of six steel strings,so sometimes due to tension it gets curved(a bow shape) .

and this curve raises the height of the strings,and also the uneven surface of the fretboard causes one or two strings to create a buzzing sound.

so the solution of the problem is a "truss rod"
    it is metal rod with screw windings at one end, it is tightened with a "allen key" if u turn it clockwise it produces an opposing force to that of the pull of the strings. and if turned anti-clockwise it releases the tension.

*please note that the truss rod is not used to adjust the action.it is merely a maintainence tool.

#ACTION- the height of the strings from the fretboard

don't know much about electric guitars , but truss rod does not effect the sound it merely keeps the fretboard straight.

https://stratsdot.com/setup2.htm

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Check along the length of the guitar, by keeping the bridge end near your eyes, and seeing along the fretboard towards the head.

If you see a huge bend, then it sure needs adjustment.

Slight bow is desirable - and it is yuour skill that tells whether the boiw is normal or abnormal (and hence requires adjustment)