Top Ten Electric Guitar Wishlist

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by jayswami, Feb 8, 2005.

1. flood

flood New Member

i just like the individual distinctive sounds of certain guitars, the strat tops that list. the jazzmaster is a very different beast altogether, great for shoegaze/altrock (think of johnny marr's sound). i love all kinds of guitars except the pointy ones and the metchul ones; the newer ones in particular suck ass. i don't like generic, sterile, characterless pickups and guitars. i like guitars with their own voice and identity, and wouldn't mind owning a few of them since i'm not a working musician and don't need to consider the practicality factor. if that was the case i'd sell everything and buy a parker. easily one of the most versatile guitars i've played.

Bass GAS: STINGRAY! Jazz, Modulus, Zon Hyperbass 5, conklin 7, ritter seal (hah! i wish), marleaux-pagelli golden fretless 4 string. not that big a P-bass fan. demeter tube preamp, GK/ampeg amplification. i like my bass sounds modern, articulate, with a healthy portiion of high mids and grit.

Amp GAS: Mad Professor, Tweed Bassman (building the 5F6-A circuit as a head, but sadly it'll lack big time - the solid pine cabinet and 4x10" alnico speakers are an essential part of the sound. also the original transformers... let's see how it turns out nonetheless), Vox AC30-4 (with the alnicos!), Marshall Super Bass, Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Diezel VH-4, Marshall 1960 4x12 with scumbacks, Orange 4x12, Bogner XTC 101b, JCM800 2203, Twin Reverb. (as you can see, i'm not THAT big a fender guy, don't like mesas much either. love the marshall sound and its derivatives.).

most of this stuff is never going to happen, although i will probably own a stingray (asian) or a jazz bass (mex?) at some point next year. thank god i can build amps though :D

stompboxes: don't get me started. there is not enough space on the server for this.

2. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

gibson les paul classic custom black beauty
    gibson slash les paul
    esp ec-1000
    ibanez ict700
    prs modern eagle
    fender eric clapton stratocaster
    parker fly mojo midi
    parker fly classic
    gibson angus sg
    ibanez js2400 joe satriani

3. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Lmao, that just made it to my list of epic posts.

I wanted to post this in my previous post, but ditched it.
    ...Amps
    1. Laney Cub 8/10/12 ...everyone starts somewhere xD
    2. BE3 Solution 18/33 Live head and 1x12 cab. Oh. Hell. Yeah. ...workhorse.
    3. Acoustic Image Coda+/Ten2/Ten2 EX (I'll actually contemplate buying one of these monsters somewhere down the line, when I'm really experienced with playing. No distortion, no crunch, pure transparent clean, emphasizing tone from technique instead of tone from equips.)
    4. ZVEX Nano
    5. Fender Blues Jr./HRD/HR DeVille/Twin reverb.
    6. I've ideas for a potentially crazy amp, but I need to do a ton of research on AX84 before I can even think of proposing it (hi, flood :D).
    7. An amp by flood. Should be a fun project. ^^

Edit - My recent amp and pickup searches have had me thinking about what kind of a sound I want, and I started noticing tone a little more while playing, I guess I'm a frugal guy - get me a clean sound, which can go from fat (Joe Satriani's "Moroccan Sunset" 1:13 to 1:47, Mogwai's "Take Me Somewhere Nice") to chimey (Opeth's Hope Leaves, Mogwai's "Dial:Revenge"), and something a little bluesy (Stefan Joubert ftw). I'm not crazy on effects, but I might get a delay, wah, volume and a verb after a year or so. Well defined, every voice in complex chords clear; basically, a decent base for my (post rock-esque) compositions and for session-musician assignments I get - I'm happy.

4. ironman12

ironman12 New Member

well here's the list of things im most likely to get in the next 6 months...

amps:
    Randall V2 archetype
    Randall T2Hle
    Peavey 6505 voodoo mod

Rack:
    Engl e530 preamp
    Engl 840/50 poweramp
    Digitech gsp1101
    Axe-fx

Guitars:

Jackson Demmelition
    Jackson RR24

and a few stomps(bbe,eq...etc)

5. nandac

nandac New Member

>the jazzmaster is a very different beast altogether, great for shoegaze/altrock (think of >johnny marr's sound).

though usually referred to as a "surf guitar", it should be noted that eric clapton used to play a jazzmaster with the yardbirds. likewise even jimi hendrix was playing a jm before keith richards girlfriend gifted him with a strat.

6. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

whoo..!!...dats like d guitar centre u dream to buy..

and d stompboxes section....R-E-S-P-E-C-T..."well ellaborated dream of stomps"...lmao

show off!

7. nandac

nandac New Member

8. flood

flood New Member

not really. guitar centre doesn't stock mad professor, diezel or Dr. Z. only second hand.

in the sweet words of the virgin mary, come again? wtf are you trying to say?

honestly speaking, i don't have much GAS left for effects - i own around 20 now, and it's actually more of a creativity killer than anything. if i can't afford an effect, i look up the schematic and start building it. i've spent more time building effects than playing. the results have been pretty rad so far though.... here's my album: https://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz44/flood81/Stompbox DIY/

better pictures coming in the next few months.

i don't even really use them any more - they're all in drawers and sometimes i select one or two to use. seriously, you can go MAD buying stompboxes. they're easily available, not necessarily expensive if you look in the right places. so my stompbox GAS list is now down to the following, and i probably will buy the first two sometime in 2011:

1. a wah, probably the 2009 ibanez WH-10 reissue. one of the coolest wahs i've ever heard.
    2. a looper/sampler, maybe the RC20XL, i'd like to buy a gibson EDP someday though
    3. a NICE digital delay, probably will buy the DD-3 in the next few months

would-likes, but i won't lose sleep over them:
    4. akai deep impact bass synth
    5. boss RPS-10 pitch shifter/delay
    6. squarewave parade stuff! teaspoon CAS

9. ultrabot90

What? We have GC in India? o_O

I think he thinks that stomp box == distortion/OD pedal.

10. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

oops...got it d wrong way....n guitar center...i dun think its in india!

11. flood

flood New Member

12. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

how funny!

??

13. ultrabot90

14. insatanity

insatanity New Member

India needs more pedals made locally. The prices of most of the imported pedals is crazy. Bhargavas is selling Suhr Riot distortion for 16K and Electro Harmonix Metal muff for 7.5K!

The customs duty really messes things up big time.

15. ultrabot90

^BE3 is (said to be) on it. But it's been long in the oven. >.>

@flood - Are we looking at a www[dot]floodindustriesfx[dot]com or something? oO

16. insatanity

insatanity New Member

Well said...

17. flood

flood New Member

haha. not exactly, but something like that... you like the pictures, hm?

18. metalmonke

metalmonke New Member

no wonder you made them!

19. flood

flood New Member

the thing is, getting the right materials involves imports anyway. i like to work with those diecast aluminum boxes, they're great to machine, polish up nicely, nice to finish and very sturdy on the whole (haven't done the container truck test though). the potentiometers available locally are REALLY shitty. no bypass switches either.

import duty applies to all of these things though; sure, i could get aluminum boxes made here.... but then you have the cost of making individual dies, machining etc. doesn't make sense unless i'm doing production runs of 50k-100k pieces.

so all these factors do end up driving up the costs of manufacturing substantially. the final nail in the coffin is the fact that research time on building ORIGINAL pedals that sound good is a LOT higher and the margins you make on building pedals are a LOT lower than those on building amps unless you have a fairly large scale operation going.

also, what kind of stompers do people want? usually, they're NOT good overdrives, low-gain pedals, analog modulators but BOSS KA MT-2 MATTEL ZONE (i ****ing hate the MT-2, sounds like overcompressed fuzz stock).

i'd love to offer pedals, but economically, it just doesn't make much sense at the moment. also, i'm a fuzz/lo-fi kind of guy; how many people want fuzz? practically nobody wants fuzz. not on your woman, and not on your pedalboard.

20. ultrabot90

^You can declare yourself to be available to make custom SBs for the people who want 'em, at a riot-inducing cost. If they're good (we're all sure they will be), you may get more orders from the pros (who're multiplying like rabbits across the nation). And you can offer modding services (again, exorbitantly priced) to turn stock shit into pro kit (well, nearly). How's "Anything is possible if you can pay for it" for a shop motto? Not to forget your amps either, you could offer custom making and modifying services. We'll all support Flood Amps & FX (think of a name much), you can advertise on IGT, Freq20 and Facebook. :beer:

Definitely! You can begin by telling me the cost of making an AmPlug clone (okay, not a clone; the same concept, but improved - real pots, better circuit components if possible, and a more robust metal casing). :rock:

Do you do much analog stuff? oO