Tone...

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by sgt.misery, Mar 30, 2012.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

On the other hand.
    The ISO 226 may not be the holy grail.

In my opinion, as the sound levels become louder - the 3-4 kHz spectrum becomes annoyingly louder. (you can check this up by playing your favorite "distortion guitar" track at different sound levels. The more harsh it becomes = the louder the 3-4kHz spectrum sounds to you)

Which would mean that on a guitar if you set your "treble" high, it will sound ear piercing at stage sound volume.

Perhaps its just my ears.

2. wylder

wylder Member

Maybe that's why (in my experience) guitar patches always sound different on headphones and in a mix. I've had that problem several times where an awesome sounding patch in practice gets totally noisy and lost in the mix when going through PA.

A mic-ed amp is a lot easier... You can just move the mic towards the center of the speaker if you need more 'cut' and move it towards the edge for 'warmth'. In general I guess more effects = worse tone, unless you are Mike Einziger(https://vintage.guitargeek.com/rigview/355/) or something.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Haha, never though Incubus used so much of effects.
    RATM must have also used tons of them

4. wylder

wylder Member

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Eric Johnson, I remember reading somewhere of TheGearPage etc that he is also concerned about what power supply he uses etc - because he can hear the tone difference.

Someone claimed that he also notices differences because of the paint color on his guitar :p and equipment