The very basic problems :(

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cool.abhi79, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

First one is regarding the finger movement while doin chord progression. one thing which is kinda irritating me is that how hard i try all my finger never move to form the chord in one go. For eg.

If i am moving frm A to D first and middle finger reach where they should but then they have to act as a reference for the ring finger to cover second string which means delay while switchin and hence it doesnt feel as smooth as i want it to :(. Do i try to move all three together or i keep doing it this way and one fine day (when the sun will rise frm west boo hoo hoo ) all three will move ?

Second one is regarding practicing just to guess how much effort i am putting. Do all of u who are starting to learn have a schedule where u have like

1) chromatic 5 min
    2) progressions 15 min kinda schedule

or u just strum alone smeting that u find on youtube or some song teaching video and do things in no order.

(word of advice frm those who are already playing for some time will be great )

thats enough for one query i think else no one will read through and reply :D

-Abhi

2. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

why r people so systemised? n impatient
    these things come along with practice

n yea, it seems u use the Index,Middle n Ring finger to play A chord......try using Middle,Index,n Pinky fingers,.....easier to play n shift to D chord, u wont have to mess with your pinky then
    :p

3. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

n dont keep a schedule, try to bring some randomness,

Nobody panics when things go 'according to plan.' Even if the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I tell the press that, like, a gangbanger will get shot......or a truckload of soldiers will be blowing up......nobody panics. Because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that...one little old mayor will die......well, then, everyone loses their minds. Introduce a little anarchy......upset the established order......and everything becomes chaos.
    I'm an agent of chaos.
    Oh, and you know the thing about chaos.
    It's fair.

4. nympH~

nympH~ New Member

It does take alot of time for people to be perfect at chord shifting.. But it just needs some practicing... keep on practicing and one day u'll surprise yourself :)

5. cool.abhi79

cool.abhi79 New Member

i have started surprising myself my flatmate who used to go to the other side of house when i started playing now sits next to me when i play and says its tolerable now :D

6. vstanv

vstanv New Member

@abhi
    regarding ur questions:

yes, it does take time, switching between chords... often its one finger that gets to the new chord first and aids as a guide to other fingers. with practise then, you'd be getting it all in the new chord at the same time. not to worry.

regarding exercises:

the best way to practise is to form your own exercises,
    for eg:
    the chromatic exercise,
    if you are playing like 1234 (fingers in order) try 1432, 1324 and such permutations...
    then u can modify it like
    each time you go to a string down, you move one note futher like

|---X----|---X----|---X---|---X----|
    |--------|----X---|----X--|----X---|---X-----|
    |--------|--------|---X----|----X---|---X----|---X-----|
    |--------|--------|--------|---X----|---X-----|--X-----|----X----|

So, u can come up with exercises urself...