The Time has come...

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by fictional_real, Mar 30, 2005.

1. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

ok guys,

Thanx for all the knowlegde you guys gave me. i have saved money for gears, yes, the time has come me to go for it. By end of April am gonna buy gears. So, Guys i need your help to recommend me what gears to buy.

Budget: 30k (INR).

Gears i wanna buy : Electric guitars, Processor and Amps.

For wat i have noticed or rather learned here in IGT is dat 30k is enuff for me to get gears WHICH IS NOT BAD FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME.

I CAN INVEST MORE, but i do like to say dat i dont wanna invest too much rite now since i am just beginner and i'll buy more good gears when i'll master on guitars and likewise.

Therefore, i have came to conclusion dat i do better invest around 30k.

I have heard if i buy gears frm outside (states) it would cost less and i dont have to compromise on quality. Should i go for dat option? if yes... how do i go about it?

Thanx again guys for giving me all the knowlegde and inspiring me for guitaring.

Waiting for your Replies.

FR. :rockon:

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Buy a Jackson RR.

3. fictional_real

hmm....Jackson RR. i dont think Jackson dealer is in mumbai. In 30,000 INR, i'll only get dat guitar not the other gear like processor and Amps man! lolz....

4. shak

shak Harrr!

umm ..30k ..
    well ibanez RG, zoom 606 and a marshall.. should be able to get those for 30k ...
    the other option ... (the states one)
    whats the exchnge rate for USD these days? .. i mean how much green would you get for 30k INR? ..

5. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Dude Let me tell u Prices reality Check Guys U only get RG Prestige series here they are prices at about 35 K to 50 K per Guitar ....

Yes U will will get Ibanez GRG Guitar for about appx betweek 15 K to 22 K
    Marshall Amp for about 15 CD for about 4500 /-
    Zoom 606 - 6 K to 6.5 K call Ashish in SB Musical may be he give u disount on the stuff incase u want let me know I will send u his no.s other option is Didgitech RP 80 - 5500 /- . I think 30 K u will get decent gear ...Other guitar options Fender Made in Mexico But I guess that is now priced at 26 K it will be out Budget u can also check out the Kramers in Furatdos... But I would tell u go in for the Ibanez GRG 's ... For this budget.

6. death_metal_fan

@rabi_sultan: The exchange rate is 44 Rs to 1 USD approximately. So 30k is about $690 USD.

I'd recommend you forget the effects box and spend that little more on a better guitar. Considering the skill level you are at, you can improve a lot with just a better guitar and an amp. When buying your first electric guitar, get one you like. If you buy a guitar that you dislike just so you can buy the effects processor, you will hate your guitar and hate yourself for doing so.

By the way, the GRG is crap. Get yourself a nice RG.

7. shak

shak Harrr!

hmm ..agree with dmf ... forget the effects for now ... get a better guitar ..
    690$ is good money ... u can get a good guitar for that ..
    @dmf.....thnx for the exchange rate .. :)

8. vijays

vijays New Member

Hi All,
    I have been reading all your posts for all these time. But the subject was too tempting to just read. Time has almost come for me too... but not for complete gear... just for electric guitar. I have been playing an acoustic with pick up for 4 yrs now.

My music type is mostly Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Beatles... not much heavy metal stuff. I got a budget of arround 22k. I am from mumbai too.

Through all the research in this site and other sites, I think Ibanez is not good for my type of music. I was basically thinking of Squier Fat Strat or Epiphone Les Paul 100. Please give me your suggestions and other information. Thank you.

Vijay

9. death_metal_fan

I don't think you should hijack this thread like you just did. This thread's purpose is to advise fictional_real on buying his guitar. If you want advice on buying your guitar create a new thread within the Guitar Gear Talk forum.

10. death_metal_fan

I don't think you should hijack this thread like you just did. This thread's purpose is to advise fictional_real on buying his guitar. If you want advice on buying your guitar create a new thread within the Guitar Gear Talk forum.

EDIT: Mods if you could, please move Vijay's reply to a new thread and delete my post once done.

11. vijays

vijays New Member

I apologize... Please neglect my post.

12. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

my personal view is u get a processor (zoom 606 will be enuf) and an affordable guitar
    cos u r gonna need a processor anyways, whatever guitar/amp u get (unless u get a real good amp and ur musical style is not very broad)
    a processor can make a mediocre guitar sound much better.
    if you decide to buy an expensive guitar and amp, the next advice u r gonna get is to buy some whacko dunlop crybaby wah or something thats gonna cost u much more.
    get a decent guitar and a decent processor and concentrate on ur music, not so much ur gear.

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

id suggest u buy good stuff when ur buying. Since ur spending so much then spend it on stuff thatll keep u happy for at least 3 years. Hence buy an Ibanez RG if possible and a Marshall Amp...the effects will come later.
    Right now i presume u are a beginer..u dont need too many effects, distortion will do.
    Oh yeah..ive got zoom606.its crap
    So id say, sacrifice the pedal...after some time u go buy a processor or maybe some whacko dunlop wah(like I did :) )

14. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@fr - i know u like playing a lot of the same music as me and my gear cost approx 30k - if u want to go from india - then ill give u my gear:

1. Yamaha guitar - rjx 121sj - really nice for rock and metal - awesome tone and touch - 19k
    2. amp - stranger 40 watt cube - 6k
    3. Korg AX100G - 9k

u can get a smaller amp if cash is a prob - i like my gear

if u can order from us - then id still suggest that you get your amp from india - u dont want to ship an amp

i got my rg 370dx for 400 usds with an awesome hardshell - 330 for guitar 70 for case - dont order without harsdhell!! - the guiy who is getting it back for u will be able to dump it in the ahrdshell without any fear and send it alongwith his baggage

in 9k ull get a really good processor i the us.... myabe an rp300 - have a look

this is my setup - i know ur choices are similar hence im advising u on tihs

15. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

thanks for the exchange rate even though i didn't ask for it ;)

as for dmf's advice i will echo that. putting the 6k (processor cost) ontop of your initial guitar purchase is a much more sensible thing to do. getting a better guitar now is more important than getting a effects processor.

Put it this way you could get a guitar like the Fender Mexican which is 26k and get a 4k amp with it.

Or you can opt for a cheaper amp maybe like 2k (some small practice one) and then invest in individual effects pedals. If you do then They would cost (guessing here) about 1k each. So you could get a good guitar (26k) crappy small amp (2k) and two effects pedals (2k). But at least you have a good guitar and not a decent guitar. The quality difference between Fender Mexican and Squire is huge, and I would imagine that it would be the same for every other guitar manufacturer as well.

16. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Well.. I dunno much but like..

Fender Telecaster, A Marshall distortion/overdrive 10W... and RP-80 effects...
    Whole thing's around 23K..

17. rabi_sultan

ignore this post :cool:

18. fictional_real

@all....thanx for your advices.

like most of the guys have adviced me. To go for a nice guitars and amps and then go for effects.

as DMF said i do go for RG. RG costs about 21k - 25k. So, i should go for a Amps around 9 k - 5k respectively. I can go for effects later...i think

So, Guys should i go for RG? or is there any other guitar which is too good and affordable in the sense that i can get Amps too in 30k

i was also considering to get epiphone les paul. since jared (dharmatma) has one...he got it from furtadoes for 16.2k.

let me be very honest wid you guys, i dunno if you'll be able to understand. My parents would rather wont digest the fact dat i am gonna spend around 30k for dat 'dabba' (aka empty box :shock: :sad:) (dats wat my dad says to my lovely acoustic). So, i dunno how will they react when i'll spend more bucks on it. but please just gimme advice i'll really look for good things coming in.

@ninad...thanx man. i didnt check kramers in furtadoes, next time i'll check it. i checked GRG. it was sounding good. though i had problems playing it most probably coz i never played an electric guitar in my life lolz. one experienced who got a fender for US for abot $400 suggest me NOT to go for GRG even if i wanna go for it he told me to change the strings. by the way, GRG was chinese make, for 12k.oh yeah, plz gimme the number.(SB musicals..where is it anyways?)

@death87....thanx man. you said you got gears from states. How did you u get it? i believe you said some guy helped you out. Can you tell me can get the same guy to get the gears? oh yeah.......hardshell i'll get one. i asked price for korg AX100G .....its 15,000 INR . boo hoo :sad:Stranger 80 watts comes for 7,945 bucks or something like dat. your advice is fantastic absoutely wat i was thinking of....

@ananth ...your advice is more contradicting. you wanna go for good guitars and effects rather than guitars and amps like most of the guys here are suggesting. i mostly play metallica, slayer , pantera .....megadeth stuffs...i think u didnt know dat. Sorry, if i am sounding totally illogical. however, i thought this cud be the reason you suggested me something else.

@rabi...thank you so much man. however, i think my parents will kill me if i say i am investing like 26k for only a guitar. :shock: and do you really think fender mexican will be able to play metal **** widout and major changes like pickups and strings etc? sorry, i dunno much abt fenders.

@dennis. thanx man. your advice was very valuable to me esp. abt zoom and effects.

@all.......i'll upload MRP list of all the guitars which an ibanez guitars here (mumbai) has sent me. you guys esp. rabi will like to see dat.....(psst...why rabi? coz dealer deals more fender guitars than ibanez itself! :shock: he he).

(cant paste now.....i am in office..doing some bloody java programming. damn!)

Looking forward for ya advices.

19. death_metal_fan

Why don't you play an RG and then play a GRG and then decide?

20. rabi_sultan

sorry i should have made it clear i was using the Fender Mexican as an example of getting a good guitar and a half decent amp rather than a half decent guitar, half decent amp and some effects.

if you go towards fender then you have to make sure that humbuckers are installed. But for metal stay well away. I only used that Fender Mexican as a pricing example. I'm sure that there are excellent Ibanez, PRS etc guitars available for the 26k mark.

Good luck with the purchasing