The Prog Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by dennis, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Chalo fellow prog rock fans(if any)...spill out names of ur fav prog bands.
    my list:
    dream theater
    yes
    king crimson
    uriah heep(not sure if its prog)
    floyd
    rush

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Queensryche (at least Operation: Mindcrime is fantastic)

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

ok wat exactly is prog rock? ive never amnaged to figure this out... i know wat dream theater sounds like.. ilove em.. but dont know of too amny other such bands.. also pink floyd and dream theater in the same genre?? seems strange....

4. tejas

tejas ..........

Tool
    Porcupine Tree
    King Crimson
    Rush
    Pink Floyd

@Dennis - You like King Crimson?? Wow, I never thought I'd find another person who likes them.

5. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

OK. If tool is a part of prog rock then certainly tool and perfect circle. I thought they still fell into metal.(Alternative Metal)

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

wasnt tool alternative rock...lol, well..
    Heres a defnton fro progarchives.com
    Progressive rock ("prog") is an ambitious, eclectic, and often grandiose style of rock music which arose in the late 1960s principally in England, reaching the peak of its popularity in the early 1970s, but continuing as a musical form to this day. Progressive rock was largely a European movement, and drew most of its influences from classical music and jazz fusion, in contrast to American rock, which was influenced by rhythm & blues and country, although there are notable exceptions in the New World such as Kansas and Rush — considered by many to be the finest examples of the form. Over the years various sub-genres of progressive rock have emerged, such as symphonic rock, art rock and progressive metal.

Progressive rock artists sought to move away from the limitations of radio formatted rock and pop, and "progress" rock to the point that it could achieve the sophistication of jazz or classical music. It is admired by its fans for its complexity, requiring a high level of musical virtuosity to perform. Critics have often derided the genre as pompous and self-indulgent. This is because, unlike such stylistically consistent genres as country or hip hop, progressive rock is difficult to define in a single conclusive way. Outspoken King Crimson leader Robert Fripp has voiced his disdain for the term. The major acts that defined the genre in the 1970s (Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rush and King Crimson) do not sound alike. There is also debate on whether bands such as The Beatles, Phish, and Radiohead belong to the genre.

7. tejas

tejas ..........

If thats how porgressive rock is defined, then tell me how TOOL dont fit there. The problem with Tool is, they cant be particularly classified into one genre. I've started calling them "Art Metal". Anyone want to stick to that?

8. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

about tool being alternatve... heard that from u!!
    and art metal is a sub genre of prog.

9. tejas

tejas ..........

^^Great. Art Metal it is then. Yeah, I know you heard that from me, but if you check what I wrote, you'll find that I said "they have been classified under alt metal". Anyway, doesnt matter.

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

^^ahh..so be it,tool is progressive.
    Cool, outta 9000 members 2 prog rock fans...more than what i was expecting :p:

11. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Tool
    Porcupine Tree (just got into them recently)

12. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

i only heard theatre :beer: and like nothing else after hearing them!!!cool!!!

my defination of progressive rock: ..........ummmmmmmm........well......the music where there is very liitle repetition of riffs...like there is no specific chorus....
    every beat brings a new tune...and pretty long songs!!

13. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hey scary..any recommendation on porcupine tree??

14. ambuj

ambuj Pro Tabber

I've heard only dream theater... and if thats what prog sounds like, I'm a prog rock fan...

15. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Yeah sure, Porcupine tree is a great band if you're looking for something to chill out to. You won't hear any rapid shred-fests or anything extraordinarily technical, but if you want something catchy, with great vocals, poetic lyrics definitley check them out.

Try checking out some material from their albums:

In Absentia
    or
    Deadwing

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

Queensryche is gr8 ...

Dreamtheatre becomes too overbearing at times ... esp Mr Petucci ... but Liquid Tension Experiment is nice ...

Rush is good

Savatage - u really need ta check 'em out ...

17. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

dream theater
    floyd
    tool nd apc (if they r progressive....)
    genesis
    king crimson....havnt heard them much....but they r better than most

18. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

wuts the differnce b/w Alt. rock n prog. rock

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

bump....ouch that hurt!!

20. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey guys,

pink floyd is not prog rock ..they are phychadelic rock and it is completely different..
    best progressive rock bands .

1) dream theater all the way !- john and mike are a class apart
    2) Symphony X --( michael romeo is as good as john ) !!!
    3) velvet revolver