The Music Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Morbid_Angel, Nov 15, 2011.

1. susanthom

susanthom New Member

Levadi-- Harel Moyal
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrpb9hMAOWk[/video]

2. fena

fena New Member

That's a good one

3. anisha_astrolog

anisha_astrolog New Member

any coldplay fan here? i Like their Trouble and the Scientist. wonderful lyrics and harmonious and soothing music.

4. fena

fena New Member

one here .. i like all their stuffs from their first album to viva la vida.. haven't checked out mylo xyloto album though.

5. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

even me coldplay coldplay... they are .damn famous indeed..love them...clocks,message,fix you...btw have a song for you guys...not enough (our lady peace)

6. Sumanovo razor

hold on hope(guided by voices),

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I totally missed this post somehow...I don't think any generation does well with change. It is most visible in the generation just before you because this is the first time they're dealing with it....older generations have seen it happening before, they know the drill. I think people tend to forget what it was like to be the new generation...and it is sad. People harp on about how it was so great to be a kid without remembering how much they hated it and waited to get a little older. I could go on but instead, I'll add to the thread.

Bengali folk music is probably my favourite Indian genre (followed rather closely by carnatic classical)...of course, this keeps changing as I listen to more Indian music. I've been listening to this guy a lot lately and I find his jams really good. He's gone to a village somewhere in Bengal and met this guy Basu Das who is a folk musician (and a brilliant one) and I find their work together very nice. It's not really a band but still worth a listen:

basudeb das jam Kaliya - YouTube

I'll also listen to Neurosis when I go back home today and tell you what I think.

8. Sumanovo razor

hey i was the one who first mentioned the song'fly me to the moon.'...by nate king cole thats a different thing:p...anyways check this out...lullaby of birdland(sarah vaughan)

9. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Quite honestly, my attention was starting to drag around the 1 minute mark but then about 40 seconds later the song really took off....I think I had goose pimples for almost all of the next minute. I really really liked it! Brilliant drumming and bass and guitaring...! Very intense song, I think. The only problem is that I wouldn't listen to this passively...If I was walking down the street with my ipod in hand, I'd probably skip this song. If I were walking in an open field by myself or sitting by the river, I'd probably hunt the song out.

Also, maybe it's to do with the mood I'm in...right now, I just stopped playing guitar so I'm really keyed in musically. I can probably listen to any good song at this point and like it.

10. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

that's basically exactly how i feel about this song (and the band in general). it is something that you have to give your full attention to and even the band has stressed this many times. and i just haven't heard of any single metal band that utilizes the drums better than neurosis, it's always new and something wacky, kind of like jazz drumming.

and as i type i'm just listening to the bengali folk you posted, and i must say, to my surprise i'm really really liking it. it's amazing how you always find something new to share :grin:

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I listened to this only now...and holy shit, it was worth it. This guy is amazing...I'll have to listen to a lot more of him to see what his style really is. When I heard the first, I thought he was Petrucci-ish and on the second, I thought it was Satriani-ish (for lack of inclination to come up with better adjectives)

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I'd say that the sound comes from rock music more than anywhere else...at least on this song. Maybe it's more to do with the guitars though.

Also, the bengali song is basically a jam so they're just playing by ear based loosely on a folk tune. The man's voice is so soulful!

13. Sumanovo razor

14. komal29

komal29 New Member

me me me!..lol..i love the lead singer :)

15. komal29

komal29 New Member

if someone doesnt mind asking why?

16. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I came across these songs and instantly liked them for their music, and their voice
    Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
    Pearl Jam - Jeremy

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

haha, nooo not forever....I had just finished practicing for that day 2 minutes before playing that song.

haha, if you have never heard either artist before, you really need to. Dire Straits is possibly one of my biggest influences musically. The first time I heard them, I thought the guy wasn't really singing...till I tried to sing a song of his.

18. komal29

komal29 New Member

oh ok..sorry abt the misconception :)..hey but this thread is awsome..am coming to know many kinds of music that am not aware yet

19. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That is the entire point of the thread. Post music that you think people will probably not have heard and you really like.

This is one of my favourite covers on youtube...considering they use just a guitar and a vibraphone as instruments, I think they get a great sound. The original is fairly popular I think.

Simon and Garfunkel - Cecilia (Acoustic Cover) - YouTube

20. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

Really, I'd ignored 'em completely til a few months back.

And as you mention simon and garfunkel, i heard scarborough fair just last year. Soothing.
    And yea, that Shrek song by Leonard Cohen titled Hallelujah. Me and my frnd (who lend vocals) did that piece. I just loved playing to that. And that cover won the first place too, in the soundclick covers genre!