the magical question "how long does it take to learn the guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by destin09, May 8, 2006.

1. destin09

destin09 New Member

I know that this is a life long process to keep getting better. But what is a ball park estimate on how long it takes to learn the guitar so that you are plaiying and switching chords fluently.
    Renee

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

depending on how much you practice, it could be from a month or two to all eternity.

3. metal_fan69

metal_fan69 To Live Is To Die

see.. I started with some easy chords and which can be changed easily with each other..

good example of it would be C and Aminor...
    then I went for barre chords..
    this way I did it in 2-3 weeks..

4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

As bjr said, it depends on how dedicated you are to the instrument and learning process. I know people who have played years and years and are still stuck playing simple 3 chord songs and I also know someone who studied for one year and is playing Jason Becker songs. However, the most truthful answer is that you could spend a lifetime and still not master the instrument.

5. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Wise words have already been said .. But whats magical bout the question ? Eh?

6. RoMeO_Gguru

RoMeO_Gguru .::idiotic crybaby::.

i learnt in 6 months.......but only maj n miners ask notty he noe's i cudn't even barr chords till this march lol played wid the three string funda....if ur doin the same buddy trust me it's gonna coz a lotta trouble...it took me 3 more months to play arrpejjio chords.....so tht's how it is...the level at which u wanna b if impressin gals is the motive thn 3-4 mnths.......n if wanna b a pro n play all songs u hear thn probab an yr or so...

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Anyone care to decode what this bloke posted?

Anyway BJR and DMF have given a correct picture.
    But DMF, some ppl actually chose to play 3 chord stuff all over their life time. Its not necessary that they are actually "stuck" there.

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

@destin09: Quite seriously, I'd ignore this post if I were you.

well said.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Aah thanks then.
    N0 point racking brains over black n white crap.

Destin09: Exactly why did you ask this question?

10. RoMeO_Gguru

RoMeO_Gguru .::idiotic crybaby::.

wot the hell u tokin bout

11. vini

vini Repeat Offender

as already quoted it totally depends on how much ur practicing but..ok..its just my rough estimate so dont yell at me guys

if ur practising 1 hour everyday..then a year atleast or more maybe

2-3 hours...then 5-6 months

many many hours..then 2-3 months

i repeat..its just a tukka
    dont keep waiting for that day...just keep practicing and working towards it..ur asking this question, raises a question on ur patience, so i'd also mention that learning guitar needs lot of will/determination/patience..so dont give up and the golden words..keep practicing

12. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

whats so magical about this question????:think:

13. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

n have patience .. !?

14. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

why do u always repeat what some1 else has said :-|

15. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

16. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

I DIDN"T SEE IT OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:: :eek::

*hides in shame*

17. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

True, but there are also these kinds of people. I know one guy personally who picked up the guitar a few years back (around 6 or 7 years I would say). He likes various styles of music and is a fairly ok guitar player but he has stuck to playing chords of country / folk / pop songs and nothing else. He likes a lot of Maiden / Deep Purple but never attempts any solos or riffs; when I asked why he said he would never be able to do it and so he's just been 'stuck'.

18. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

i have been playing for the past 6 months.....
    and as people have already said, it depends on your dedication towards the instrument and how long u practise
    i was able to play major chords, minor chords and barre chords in 3 months and was able to change the chords nicely:).....it took a lot of practise.....
    the first few months of guitar playing are really difficult, and that is when half the people quit...u need to have patience....
    i know loads of guys who have been playing for ages, but they cant even strumm a d chord....cause they just dont practise!
    keep practising and dont lose hope:beer:

19. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

U mean they played guitar for ages n can't hold a D chord n strike the strings ? what?? were they trying to play with their feet ?.. what an exaggeration .. :p

20. mr singh

mr singh New Member

it doesnt take long to learn the guitar, maybe around a year, depending upon commitment, practice time and other such factors...
    but it takes a lifetime to perfect it... there is always something to improve on.