The legality of MP3's

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by slash, Aug 16, 2003.

1. slash

slash New Member

A very nice article i found.....

Downloading MP3's of songs/albums that you do not own is illegal, according to the current copyright laws. If you download and burn a CD without purchasing it, you are breaking the law. When you do so, you are, in effect, stealing from the label AND the artist. Whether you agree or not, that is the way the law stands now. And the way legislation seems to be going, there are only gonna be more laws and more people trying to fight online sharing.

That said, we understand that many are fed up paying outrageous prices for CD's, when the artists see very little of the money. Most of us agree. But there are other ways to express your frustration. It's the same as saying GE charges too much for a plasma TV, so you steal it, instead. Doesn't make it right.

:D

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Well... there are two ways of looking at this issue.

Suppose you've heard about a new album, lets say Metallica's St Anger. You really like (or used to) Metallica and you have heard that this album is a "return to roots" one. You can ...
    1. Either go and buy it
    2. Dload a few songs and try it first.

I, unfortunately did the first option and I consider my money wasted!!! I hated the entire album. If I had first dloaded a couple of songs and got the general idea that the album was crap, I wouldn't have bothered to buy it... And if I had liked those songs then I could buy the album. This, in my opinion is the right way to use file sharing on the net. And most people I know, agree.

Now, supposing you dload a couple of songs, like it and then dload more songs of the band but don't buy any of their stuff, its like stealing. After all, how does the band benefit from your hearing their songs. If this keeps on continuing, most rock and metal bands (i'm not talking about pop artistes) would go out of business and then no one would want to really work hard to make music.

So, I don't think file sharing should be made illegal as long as you show your appreciation to the band by buying their albums. But supposing you don't like what you dloaded there shouldn't be any compulsion on you to buy it.

3. Redalert

Redalert New Member

They have demos, You can always listen to demos and judge if the album sucks or not. If i downloaded the entire alubm, why would go and buy the album????:D

4. esgallindeion

Not talking about the entire album.. only a cpl of songs. The problem with demos is, most people either don't know or don't care. They find dloading from softwares like Kazaa much more convenient.

And file sharing is also a good way of finding out more about an artist. It was through Audio Galaxy that I first heard a Blind Guardian song. And now I have about half their albums (and a cpl of t shirts :rolleyes: ). I prefer buying albums because of the quality.

5. slash

slash New Member

What about albums having like "one" good song....am i supposed to by the entire album cause of the one lil song:p . Actaully thats the reason piracy exists....the entire album is crap one song is so so ...and if i want that paticular song, by the entire album......riiiiiiggghhhtttttt:p :p :p

6. esgallindeion

So you would enjoy the fruits of other people's hardwork without letting them benefit from it? Shame on you. :p Like I said, if this piracy keeps on increasing, we'll see a huge decrease in the really good bands.

7. Redalert

Redalert New Member

slash's got a point if they come with more "quality stuff" instead of the shit the they r giving us...ppl might consider puurchasing....instead of downloading.

8. esgallindeion

I don't quite agree. You've got to decide on what to buy. There are hundreds of review sites. Apart from Metallica's St. Anger the last 5-6 albums I bought were really great.

But then, I guess its a matter of choice, but like I said, whatever "quality stuff" that we're getting now, will also not be available due to this piracy in the near (or not so near) future.