The best in begginers theory...

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by fat_kax, Mar 25, 2006.

1. fat_kax

fat_kax Kickin Ass Since 1989 !

ok - so i trust noone 'll post stuff like - "oh so ur a beginner shit??" :eek::

the thing is that im familiar wid the fret board - strummin and pickin - hammerin and sliding and bendin even....- i can play stuff - i kno scale conversion - and i can read tabs more than excelentaly... but the sad part is - im a nono when it comes to theory... like - im stunned wen ppl throw stuff at me like - "pentatitotitatononical scale" and "dorian" and i wuz wondering can any one help me out - like from the begining - as if ur trying to teach sumone completely stupid wid da guitar... like from the basics of theory.... from A B C --- getit???
    it wud be nice to hafe definitions of wats a wat.... no u dont hafta rite nuthin big... just gimme a link or a attchmnt or a copy paste - that u lernt from and u think will help me...real thankful...the fat :p:"anpad":p: dude...
    i think i have bird flu man.... i been havin this hed ache kinda thing and my tummy's all wobbly and soft....or it cud be the gym that i started goin to since a cupla dez back...
    so regards
    fatty

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

pentatonic is a scale with 5 notes in it..most of mordern rock is based on the pentatonic.
    dorian is a mode
    theres articles regarding modes on IGT ....search it...

3. fat_kax

well - yeh
    but i cant unnerstand a fig there man....like i sed - i dunno shit aboout theory - dont even kno the proper definition of a scale.... thanx to Dj - i kno how to convert scales...but thats where it stops...:eek::

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

A scale is a set of ordered notes chosen from the 12 notes in an octave.
    chromatic scale is all the 12 notes in an octave

5. armani4eva

armani4eva New Member

6. fat_kax

thanx man...al o u....and especially to DrSaurabh

7. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Abey sala, give credit to where you got the knowledege from, ahem :grin:

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

^^ yes yes....
    :nw: :nw: to you for that ;) man...that is one of the most beautiful things ever man....what would i ever do without it

9. fat_kax

wots an appregio

10. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

You mean arpeggio.

It's holding a chord but playin one note at a time..

sometimes also referred to as adlibbing.

11. fat_kax

so thats it?
    playin one string at a time :shock:
    man - i cant unnerstand why we need to have so many hi-fi and damn complicated terms fer things whcih are so simple - KEEP IT SIMPLE _ KEEP IT REAL....

12. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

^^ yeah..play the individual strings of the chord u hold..not neccesaarily u play all..the start of the song HERO by enrique is an arpeggio...check it out...also the hotel california before the actual strumiin starts....

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Not nescessarily holding the chord and playing....you could be playing the notes like you play the scale and it would still be arpeggio.

And you're the second person I've heard refer to it as adlibbing.

The first person was abhimanjrekar :shock:

bwahaha, I have no idea if that's actually an accepted term or not so help me out here with a link or something.

14. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The thing is...if we kept it simple, a lot of guitar teachers would have been out of a job.

It's a conspiracy really....a system other than the government for you to shout at in a song. I think it'd be a cool song to diss theory gurus <3

15. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----&gt; Zhol-Man&lt;----

yaar,atleast i ve been told arpeggio means adlibbing...dont know if it has some other meaning...it it has,correct me man..

hmm...missed the word ZHOLMAN in ur post...how come u put abhimanjrekar ??:think: :p: :beer:

16. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----&gt; Zhol-Man&lt;----

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Like I said, I really don't know. From the basic meaning of ad-libbing, I'd normally assume that ad-libbing meant playing with no fixed structure in mind....in which case, the arpeggio of Hero or hotel california would not qualify.

18. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

:oops: my bad :eek::

well, i heard the adlibbing thng frm manjrekar as well :p:

19. fat_kax

hmmm....ok i'll write a song bout it.... after i finish the one im workin on - "Mera Budhaa" dedicted to my budhao....

20. vini

vini Repeat Offender

even i thought arpeggio and adlib are the same!..or there has to be some major technical difference