Thank god....Atleast i came to a conclusion

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mymusicmyguitar, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Guys...its really difficult to choose guitar from soo many models.....Here is where I stand after 2 weeks of my research on Guitar models..........Didnt like any of those brands as much as I liked Fender strats........My budget was 30K earlier ..but have realised that its not sufficient enuf to buy a decent guitar....now its 45K......where wud i get a decent fender strat in mumbai?? The ones which i have seen have rusted strings, not in good shape at all..........Or any other models that u guys suggest.......
    I was planning to buy Greg Bennetts earlier......but some how the tone seemed really very soft.......and much cleaner than what i wanted........Liked yamaha over Samick guitars....To avoid such confusion i have decided to go for Fender......do u guys think i have made a rht choice??

2. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Definitely a good choice. Even those mexican strats can be quite good, you can even mod them to your hearts content. And if you reaally like one in particular you can ask the store manager to have them replace the strings. They have to anyway. You just need to be resolute and determined about it, or ask them to pull out one of the boxed pieces, don't let up. As long as you come across as a genuine buyer they'll indulge you.

Wait a minute, The cleaner a guitar sounds, the better it is. It will respond better to you when you dirty it. Always go for the clearest sounding gat you can find.

3. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

you cant go wrong with an amercan strat... but i would suggest not buying one from india... if you can get ine from abroad, do it because youll get much better quality of the same modeland cheaper too

4. mymusicmyguitar

Tallkien then according to me ....Greg Bennets were the only ones comparable to Fender.......Cleanest Sound i have ever heard in the range of 15 to 25K..........I can call them Poor Man's Gibson....lol ;-)(coz of there shape).......and the finishing is awesome........Greg Bennett is a great deal for 21K........But to be on the safer side m plannin to go for Fender....coz of there Tone...Reputation...Quality......But got to chip in a lot of money though :-(....and got to wait as well for another 2 months to save money....

5. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

i have a fender mexican strat and im more than happy with it, its a lovely guitar..excellent finish, excellent fretwork and beautiful action.
    i bought it from india though as i didnt know anyone who would get a whole guitar along with them.
    well, about everybody telling me that guitars here are of sub-standard quality...there's something which i think i should discuss. my friend got his uncle to get a fender mexican strat for him recently from USA, i think the total cost for him including customs and all was about 22000. But when i played his guitar i saw that the action on it was horrible and the wood had a very odd feel to it. the whole guitar just didnt feel right. anyway i think guitars like strats et al which are made in high quantities abroad need to be set up by a good guitar tech. i don't really know for sure though but after playing my friend's guitar i have serious doubts whether getting the guitar from abroad especially by someone who can't really check it out is a good idea. because we all know, every guitar is set up differently. even when i checked out the 3 strats in stock at bhargavas they were all different. and although the red wine and the white one was very tempting to look at than the standard black one, after playing all of them, the black one felt really good. and yes i did get the buggers to change the strings although they were in pretty decent state. paisa wasool! hahaha!

and please don't compare greg bennets with fenders. i played a couple of greg bennets and they have horrible pickups and a funny (not good) action.

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Get an ESP lol! ESP ESP ESP ESP !!

Fenders are nice.....they are very comfortable...

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

So much for conclusions....but yeah any guitar (alas, even an ESP) needs to be set up for action and feel so ask them to do it

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Yep, set-up is most important. People buy guitars with bad setups and blame it on the company...i used to blame my ibanez for its sucky action etc etc....when i set it up it felt good...untill other shit happened...

9. mymusicmyguitar

any more comments on Greg Bennetts shall really be appreciated.......atleast i will be satisfied and sure after buyin Fender that i have made a correct choice......coz after buying buying an american fender i will be completely broke.................hehe.........but got buy it anyhow ;-)

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

First of all what do you mean by cleaner sounding guitar?

Its not like if you play a low-end guitar, there will be cobwebs and dust thrown along with the sound coming from the speakers.

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^hehe i think he's just talking about a nice clean...

dude you're comparing a greg bennet which costs 25k with an american fender which is almost twice of that?!

if your budget is 30k why dont you go for a mexican strat? thats what it costs here. then you won't have to go broke buying the guitar.

12. mymusicmyguitar

American fenders better than Mexicans ..m i right?? if no then please correct me?? ......soo wud want to buy an american for sure...and i am ready to add 15 more just for the guitar...so my budget is 45K......clean tone in the sense very melodious.... very less metallic........jst like fenders tone.......

13. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^yes they are definitely better, and since they cost about 1000 dollars abroad, i doubt if you'd get them for 45000 bucks here. atleast 60-70k, if its below that then there may be cause for suspicion, because mexican fenders cost 400 dollars abroad and considering that they go through the same custom charges etc. the price of an american fender should atleast be double of that of the mexican. ofcourse all this is assuming that they are available here.

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

buy it from japan.....
    and pay the customs urself...
    why let other ppl make money out of you..
    when you can do it yourself...

15. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^^dude, what will be the approximate custom charges on a guitar?

16. mymusicmyguitar

Whats the procedure to order it from abroad?? how will i be sure that i have got a best deal and i not being cheated......r those guys loyal enough to be trusted.......dont u think its little weird to buy guitar without actually testing it????

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

not for me...but it is bad to order a guitar without trying it...but when you live in India, i guess you have no choice...

Ive ordered a lot of small and medium priced stuff from abroad...everything has come (touches wood because he just ordered some cables and an ESP t-shirt)

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

@raj:approx 35%.....thing is the guys you get it from are doing the same...what they do is...for example

theres a 100rs guitar
    they get it at 70
    customs charges 35%
    105.....and they sell it at that ridiculous 150!
    instead we can buy the damn thing at 100 and get 35 more ourselves...

19. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

oh and i forgot to mention, a friend of a guy from these forums (born2tab) just got an awesome ESP from japan at 30k including customs n stuff!
    A same guitar of lower specs is selling at 45k here

20. mymusicmyguitar

Laney u got to giv me the procedure......how to order it.......I will take a risk....lets see...but got to think thousand times b4 buyin it