tension whilst playing... grr

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mr singh, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mr singh

mr singh New Member

recently iv realised how tense i sometimes get when playin the guitar.
    the more i think about it, the more tense i get.
    then i try to relax by either slowing down or takin deeper breaths, lol. but neither seems 2 wrk, i end up stayin jus as tense n screwin up whteva im playin.
    and now i seem really paranoid about tension, and keep feelin really tense even wen im playin easy pieces :(
    btw, this tension arises in practice aswell as performance.
    i dont think it can be attributed to bad posture, as i hav always had a good guitar playing posture.
    i think i need 2 sumhow relax more whilst playin
    but iv tried all i can think of
    does ne1 have any suggestions as to how 2 relax?

2. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

I had a similar issue, i missed timings, lots of staccato notes, sometimes plectrum slips of my fingers.
    Now it's alright, I have gained speed and accuracy. This happened after I stopped masturbating.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Duh, I felt masturbation excersizes your hands, wrist and forearms to give good practice for guitar playing esp for shredding.

Singh: man the problem you face is psychological. No one other than you can help yourslef.

4. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

^^ Yes it did in the initial stages. but when it went like 2-3 times a day, then came the issue. Frequent headaches, hair loss, tired most of the day, nervousness... etc.

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

You need to see a doctor and get a diagnosis done.

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Try recording your practice sessions. That helps you get over your nervousness since it's a one-shot performance in a way.

7. mr singh

mr singh New Member

this problem has only come up in recent times, as i have been focussing more on technique rather than playing.
    maybe i shud try n relax a bit more, but i wudnt say im nervous.
    i wud say i am reasonably confident wen it comes to playing guitar/ performing, its just that as im performing, i sort of white out everything else, and go into sum weird sort of guitar mode where everything must b kept under control, n then i start to tense up. i think it mite b a psychological thing :(
    im a freak :(
    thank 4 the advice so far...
    has ne1 else got ne tips?

8. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

errr.. DUHH!

9. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

I hope u've not given up having $ex jz to avoid slipping of da plectrum :shock:

10. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

do sth

do u have a really big mirror at ur place??

if yes play with the mirror in front of ya

11. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

THINK THAT U RULE!!!!
    THATS THE EASIEST WAY TO RELIEVE TENSION!!!(apart from what has been said in this thread before LOL)

12. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Er.yeah.
    @mr singh, This is something that i can relate to, not during normal playing but rather while practicing with a metronome. When i'm doing let's say, chromatics, sixteenth notes practice, i'm fine till like 130 bpm, but as increments of 5 bpm are added i see that my whole left hand and right hand get tensed up and i miss strings, notes, go out of time and all that. One of the ubiquitous statements made by shredders is that you HAVE to be as relaxed as possible. Other than that it's just practice. So just try to relax and focus on the playing, not if you're picking it right or not, you probably are.

13. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

^^ lmfao........

as for the relaxing techniques......surely i need one too.......it happens mostly with me when im practicing its works well for me....n when i press the record button errr mistakes everywhere.......... but thats natural.......coz u want to do better while recording or performing .......the only way out i feel is try to think that whatever i do i know im good at it.........:p: this mostly works for me

14. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm... happens to me a lot of times...
    Accha... what I do is stop playing, and put my speakers to max, and then listen to whomever I feel like. The other day,I heard Al DiMeola, and after that, I nailed Aces High & Wasted Years in a row...

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Mediterranean Sundance owns...its quite inspiring actually.

and wtf is with the wanking thing??

wanking is harmless.

16. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

i dun get probs playing in practice and in front of people i no...but i really get tense when i think about playing live in front of people...i think dat id forget my part and stuff...any suggestions on how to improve this.....first perfromance hopefully in dec if band can stick together

17. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

thats really funny

18. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Mr.Singh.. the solution (apart from the ones provided above) might lie in the fact that you are just trying to play at any given point of time when you are free..

Try to play you guitar "only when you feel like" playing ..and i mean really really compelled to play the guitar. If possible don't play for as many days as possible.. abstain!!! Even if you feel like... control yourself... don't ejaculate.. i mean don't yield.... Don't play at all. Find something else to do! (maybe jack off!!)

When you reach that point when all that matters is just playing the guitar and you can't live without it, you would forget about missing notes or the fear of playing bad .. and voila.. you'll be playing without any tension or anxiety cuz u'll be too engrossed in the satisfaction of being able to play after longing for it...

Kinda like dying for *** for a couple of months and then getting laid.. you won't be concerned about performance... you'll just do it for "Satisfaction".

19. mr singh

mr singh New Member

^thanks rahulp... i undastand wht ur sayin... but if i dont play 4 a long while then my fingers will get kinda "unfit".
    i think i hav wrked out wht my prob ws... i ws gettin stressed out in my life other than guitar, and this became reflected in my guitar playin. i hav now started to relax a bit more, and the tension isnt as bad.
    also in my haste, i may hav also overlooked slight amounts of pain as tension.
    it is important to distinguish between tiredness, pain and tension i think :)
    thanks every1 4 ur hlp :)

20. trash789

trash789 New Member

Well mr singh I advice u to practice your songs so much that u can play it without the presence of mind.