Tech it....or leave it

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by the_wizard, Oct 18, 2005.

1. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

just got this in a mail....for all wannabe engineers....nice article..

"For most engineering grads first job's a passing phase of less than two years"proclaims a headline in today's Economic Times

A C Nielsen ORG Marg's T Schools '05 Campus Recruiters Index has made the less than startling discovery that 64% of engineering grads who join tech companies intend to leave within the first two years or less. This number is apparently up from 47% in 04 and 59% in 05.

Fact is, few engineering grads seem really enthused about joining Infosys, TCS, Wipro and the like - especially if they happen to be from tier 1 institutes or God forbid, IIT. Company aa rahi hai, to chalo job le lete hain.

And serve the companies right too in a way, if they're willing to snap up any which engineering graduate - civil, mechanical, metallurgical - just because they need to add 10,000 bakras at a time.

Although their HR depts claim that they have systems which ensure a smooth induction, training and deployment onto projects that isn't quite the case for everyone.

A 2004 graduate from a premier institute in Mumbai who was working with Mastek had this to say: "Since IT companies conform to CMM level 5 they have to keep a certain % of the workforce on the bench ie idle. And it can get damn frustating."

There are enough cases of freshers who complete their training and then just cool their heels for a while: come to office everyday, send email forwards to each other (the only timepass available in the absence of internet access) and somehow get through till the end of the day.

Sounds like fun, doing nothing - but try doing it over a period of time. Sucks bigtime!

Another complaint is "I asked to work on X technology but was put onto a project using Z technology." Z is apparently getting 'obsolete' but still a current business requirement. But that argument doesn't cut ice with apna 'I-want-technologies-that-look-good-on-my-resume' engineer.

The Long, Steep Climb
    Although the 15,000 bucks you get in hand as a fresher seem decent enough at the time of joining the really long ladder ahead is soon evident.

In most companies it takes 18 months-2 years to get sent on an offshore project and earn that precious dollar allowance (which is the carrot dangling in every techie head). And though that's not really a long time many don't have the patience.

Besides, they soon learn, the job is not really about programming at all... One such dude sums up the average IT career path on a Pagalguy forum:

There is not much of a ladder is S/W industry as such. For most life is quite typical. One or two years in a company. Then a chance to go onsite and see some money. Then back home. Another 2 years and then one becomes an analyst and after 5-6 years, a manager. And your engineering branch is the last thing that would matter here.

The work in S/w company is quite mundane and does not involve too much programming skills. If you have good talking skills and project yourself well to your managers, you would grow.

Given that scenario - and the fact that there is no inherent interest in software as a career - getting into an MBA or MS program is a good escape route. And seems like a faster way "up".

Basically, managing the aspirations of thousands of above average intelligence 20somethings is no joke. Yes they have fantastic campuses, working culture, and future prospects as well but when all that becomes the norm, dil still maange more and that's where the trouble lies.

Above average folks eventually hear voice whispering in their heads: " Is what I am doing meaningful?" Here's one techie's answer, again posted on the PG forum:

"Hmm, so you thought Windows XP was written in India? nops, but the typing of all the HELP doc was done in India. You do not do much programmin. If you are in Mainframe stuff, whereever you work it's going to dig into some code written in 1970 and you'll be wondering half the time "how could ppl write such hopeless code?" and you would need to add one or two lines into that code. Yes not more than 20 lines!

If you are in any of those open system projects, Java, .NET half the time is documentation stuff or changing and test some crap stuff. But few projects have something good.

Remember software industry is not about creating new things. Its all about client giving you work. Work that their IT team is NOT interested in doing.

But you get money $$$$ and of course work exp and a life called "White collar job".

Not very inspiring, especially in light of the fact that those with MBA degree from premier institutes in the same company clearly seem to earn more and rise faster. As well as enjoy greater mobility - they have the option of leaving the software industry altogether if they wish.

So the answer to 'how to stop attrition' is : you can't. Whether you make people sign bonds or chart out detailed career paths - if they join your industry because it's the easiest job available to them and not out of inherent aptitude or interest, they're always going to be difficult to hold onto.

And companies are accepting that and just taking in more and more people to begin with (luckily we seem to have a large enough population of B.E.s to draw on!).

Of course one could argue why single out engineering grads - 2 years is the average time most young people spend in their first jobs. Whether in media or BPO or KPO or whatever. And even after an MBA.

The country is awash with jobs - it's easier to leave and more tempting to do so than ever before. Let's see how long the party lasts!

2. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Ofcourse that happens ...

u dont need to do any survey ...

i remember at college we used to laugh at anyone who was stuck in the same company for more than 2 years ...

3. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

lol....we used to laff at all engg...chemical, instumentation, IT, comp all.....no matter wat they do they'll land up in sm IT companies

4. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

yeah ppl with all sorts of talents (mostly other than programming) are landing up in IT just for surity of job .. i think a soft engg is a modern day clerk.. thats it .. it'll kill ur soul
    even this MBA thing is becoming a routine .. it s like uve done engg an now the only secure path is MBA .. fcukin herd mentality of ours .. aaaaaaarrrrrghhhh ... aaaarrrrghhhhhhhhh

5. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

blame it on parents....and most ppl who fail to realise there are other careers other than the routine thing....clear 12th become an engg, join sm IT company, do part time MBA switch jobs, and slog rest of the life doing routine same ol crappy work everyday......this seems to be the routine followed most commonly.

6. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

i agree with nemo..
    there r hardly or there is hardly anything for engineers if they are not an MBA..
    but it kinda changes ur whole field..for instance if u are a mechanical engg. and do an MBA in mkting..then ull be a manager throughout..ur own growth in ur field stops..

that wld be if u r not in programming again....

7. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

well the sad part is most engg do MBA just to add another degree to their profile and continue wrking in the same industry. ask all IIM aspirants and they'll have no clue as if why they are doing MBA...the most common reply u'll hear is "Pagaar suni kya IIM-A waale ki"...wtf...

infact forget MBA there are ppl doing engg courses which they havnt even heard of (instrumentation) just because the'll get an engg degree after completing it.

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

IT job sucks. :mad: :mad:

9. jekyll

jekyll Banned

not exactly ...

it is a nice experience for me ... who is a chemical eng ... and had previous experience in manufacturing industry -> oil refinery ...

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

I know once when the IT industry was in doldrums ... all were like "Electronics" is evergreen take it ..
    It happened to my junior batch .. And the seat which i couldn't get for 600 rank wen for 1500 .. 2000 !!!!!! And electronics was the IN thing ...
    I agree the industry was in bad shape ... BUT DID ANYONE SAY Electronics Industry is making it BIG !!!!! Bunch of lunatic JOURNALIST who know nothing bout the idustries wrote crap !!!!! And kids belived it !!!!!
    Finally I see all those great guys screwing in this damn IT industry !!!!!!
    Thats the way it is ...
    When i see the NEWSPAPERS refering to us as techies i get pissed to the core ..... Who is a TECHEI ?? some junk guy who changes template values and creates programs !!!!!???
    Person who doesn't know any jack but works for a reputed company !!!!???

THINGS wont improve till Indian Attitude changes ......
    We indians can make our own Industry and NOT depened on west for projects .. If we spend money ...
    In Australia Hutch spends millions on a datawarehouse ... But in India .. BSNL a much bigger company Knows nothing about it !!!!
    Same is the case with any company for that matter ...

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Was that pointing to me :annoyed: :eek:: :beer: :beer:

12. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

amen to that!!!!!

13. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

Well that happens beacuse we Indians are good servants,
    and they phirangis are good bosses,

and as the theory of globalisation says : every nation does what it does the best - no need for Japan to go to agriculture for its own need -> it can always import
    and no need for Indian to become Entrepreneurs cause JApan and US already have tons of 'em.

Now dont tell me you are opposed to globalization and free trade.
    And when are u acutally becoming a terrorist?

14. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Waiting for a call from the terror organisations ... I will play with Osama for a while and then screw him .. and start my own ....
    But free trade is never possible .. once a country gets jacked they stop it ..
    do u think when US gets into an economic sh!t they are gonna let their jobs be taken away ?
    Then Indians will have to screw themself to find a job ..
    Imagine .. If US ceases to exist how many indians will bcome pimps !!

15. jekyll

jekyll Banned

am willing to be one :) ... we call 'em bhadwa in hindi ;)

nice to see you back ... i thought u have left india and gone to libya/afghanistan/latin american country for training ...

16. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

No dude .. I am kinda bored with this place .. Whts the use typing stuffs out here ??!!!!!
    And to make matters worse .. I had got disconnected from the company network for possesion of hack tools !!!!!
    I was out of job and net for 5 - 6 days .. Some holidays in between ..
    They took a class and gave a waring and let me go ..
    I had to give answers to more than 5 ppl regarding this ..
    That was a crap brute force tool .. which i am sure doesn't work ..
    Is it practically possible to brute force any SERVER !!!!
    Jerks had no better job so they jacked me !!!!

17. jekyll

jekyll Banned

^ did u posses "John the Ripper"?

or was it buffer-stack overflow root maker?

18. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

19. bobbit_uncut

bobbit_uncut Banned

^ that was cool