Teach Me Singing

Discussion in 'Misc Musical Instruments' started by DJSAGAR, Dec 24, 2005.

1. bava

bava New Member

have any one like 2 watch indian idol on tv its a gr8 television program to promote singing in india a great step surely.i never use to watch tv nor indian
    programs neither pakistani program cause i believe ladeis watch dramas and
    men shud not watch them they shud watch stage dramas funny dramas,
    i never feel sad when any character give peoblem to another like women 'hai ni wo ____ to bilkul kamini hai dekha kaise karan aur pooja ke darmiyan misunderstanding create kar rahi hai hai ni, ut when i see indian idol its extremely much exciting i got much emotional when they stuck out a contestent who sung a song 'sajan yeh soch liya hai' that moment i never forget i think so this method of getting suggestion thru sms or phone call
    is not good it shud take 50% and 50% of judges openion, what du u say?

2. Imranyou2k5

Imranyou2k5 New Member

This guys took the topic of what we were talkin about and threw it into space good job bava hahahah

3. Lahori_rocker

Lahori_rocker Guitar God left IGT

huh teaching u vocals online

4. madhuresh

madhuresh madhuresh

hey download this sotware Amazing slow downer this will tech u what does pitch means if u any time play with a band or on stage they keep sayin a bit high or low pitch ....so u will understand wht do they want....bas

5. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^err.. which software?

6. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

^He said "Amazing slow downer"

That's the name of the software. hehe

7. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^ :) oh i thot he said Amazing slow downer and not "Amazing slow downer"

8. jazzbox

jazzbox His X Ln C 1000CC

try to pick a chord ...hold the strings and play the notes ....and make changes with your voice ...if u think ur voice is perfect for the notes then pick another chord and hold the notes ..

like this
    hmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    e|--------0-------------0------------------------|
    B|-----------------------------------------------|
    G|------7---7-------7-------7--------------------|
    D|----7-------7-------7-------7------------------|
    A|--5-------------5---------------5--------------|
    E|-----------------------------------------------|
    hmmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm
    e|-------0-------------------0-------------------|
    B|-----------------------------------------------|
    G|-----7-----7---------7--------7----------------|
    D|---7---------7----------7--------7-------------|
    A|-0------------0-----0---------------0----------|
    E|-----------------------------------------------|

its c5 chord last string is additional

u can try it by cmaj also
    \:)

9. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

good vocals...is like lycra
    ..either you have it or you dont

but seriously i think anybody can improve on their singing with practice and some classical training, but i dont think you can go too much beyond your naural ability.
    With some practice you can sing in tune, but incresing your range or using vibrato is not easy if you dont have it in you.
    Thats whats so great about instuments most people can get really good with practice, but even then it wouldnt hurt if you have some musical talent.

And how many of you think that vocalists are overrated.
    Most of them dont need to have any sort of training or need to practice their skills(classically trained vocalists exempt)
    and they get too much credit for song they sing(song they did not write or compose).

10. bedabrata

bedabrata New Member

aaah

Yeah most of you are correct.....you either have it or you dont . practice always has its fruits though but hey ppl! dont forget the good old line 'DIL SE GAAO!' really...its very hard to stop a person who sings that way (me for instance) hehehe but formal training in indian classical really helps...even if you are into heavy metal

11. Trixon

Trixon New Member

Vocals tip

I am not yapping but my Mom is a pro singer and is a MA+B.ed in Music
    (Indian classical, Vocals).

So being the proud son of a vocalist I would like to advice you all wise people
    a trick that is the industry standard and is the way lata mageshkars and kishore kumars are made...

Some other guy also mentioned this some where i cant remember. But it is not his copywrited material but it is a universal technique....

Here it goes

Buy a keyboard or piano what ever you call it.....
    press C note or Sa on it and try to concetrate on what is playing....

Now the hard part is to sing with the note by just saying an 'Ah' and make sure you are practising and trying to keep the note as stable as possible.The more stable the better. Do the same for remaining 6 notes. 15 minutes on each note every day for 2 months and you will be noticing that your voice is getting better by each passing day.

To help with those lessons also drink warm water in the morning and also chew on some 'mulethi' (i dont know what they call it in your area) it can sooth your vocals a lot..

Some may say this is boring and is no good, but lillte do they know this can help people out and do wonders..

Please dont waste time by singing with kishore and lata while playing there oldies cause the level which they have reach is about 101030174038942894kms away from where you are. So practise the above said and reply to me if it helps (i know it will)....

ambush likes this.
  12. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

now that's some good advice. and the good thing is, it starts showing results fairly quickly. I know many people who have benefited from this sort of riyaaz.

13. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

This is great advice
    but i dont have a keyboard
    is there any way to do this with a guitar

and i am assuming we also have to practice with the sharp notes

14. Trixon

Trixon New Member

For poeple with a guitar or any other instument

Now for poeple who do not have a keyboard you can always do this..

Play C D E..... on the musical instument/guitar and practise the same said as above...

Be sure that you try and match your freqeuncy with the instument..and the instument is in tune....

Check out the forums on how to play C D E on the guitar...how to tune a guitar can also be found on the forums

This advice does not apply to wind instumesnt such as sax or flutes coz you have you mouth already busy with instument lol.

Regarding the sharps and flats that will com later on cox they deviate you from the natural notes...just like learning the guitar you first learn simple songs and then leanr freaky songs with confusing chords.

I weill try and keep posting more advice...

If you want to know what is real singing then check out Lukka chupi by A R Rehman and Lata mangeskar from the film Rang de Basanti.

check out the sargam/notes they speak in the song. That is called a Tarana. It is actually harder than singing the song itself because you have to sing the correct note as well as say the notes name..

Try it. It is very hard.. but if you manage to do it then you are doing fine

Hope my advice helps!!!!!!

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Actually this technique has been talked about quite a bit here.
    But ofcourse no one bothers to read all teh past posted stuff.
    HEHE

I actually wish to differ from you on this point:
    Strictly speaking all the 12 notes in an octave are same in importance.
    Calling a few as natural notes and others as artificial is something that is not well digested by me.

In key of C: you might say C D E F G A B are natural and Eb, Bb, etc are not-natural (coz they dont fall on C major scale)

However, take the key of G: G A B C D F#. Here it is F# note that is natural, coz it is in the major scale.

Besides, let us look at C minor scale: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C. Here you see so many sharps/flats that are as "natural" as any other notes.

May be you should've specified that while sticking to key of say "C", sharps and flats should come later.

One addition: if someone doenst know how to make out whether the voice is in tune with the instrument ... tell me, i'll upload/post something to give a demo.

16. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

You realyy wanna know how to sing listen to JANIS JOPLIn... thats what I call sininging..... You know there is huge diff between singing well and having a good voice....

17. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

@alpha

exactly. also, if one pracitces only in the key of C a problem of RANGE comes in somewhere in the future.

18. ashwani_sg

ashwani_sg New Member

Distance Learning - Online Music Classes

Hi everybody. This is Ash. Felt this little piece of information will be helpful for you. There is this organization by the name of SwarGram, which distance learning classes in Indian Music. With their courses you can study from the comfort of your home. The URL is https://www.swargram.org

Bye for now. Will write again soon.

19. mew11

mew11 New Member

Hey! I think that a really good tip that my music teacher tought us is to breathe from your gut, not from your lungs or from your throat. This may sound a little odd... but breathe in right now... most peoples shoulders go up.. this means that you are not breathing from your gut.. try controlling your breath... start breathing in slowly holding your stomach area and try not to allow your shoulders to come up.. if you continue this for a while you should have more control over your voice and you should be able to sing for longer periods of time without having to breathe.. this tip also helps those who play an instrument which requires breathing.. hope i helped ^^