Suggest strings for my AV6

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sandeep_, Dec 22, 2007.

1. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

Ok, my AV6 could come any time next week and I am thinking of buying a new string set for it.So please help me out..
    I ve tried the Fenders and D'Addarios on my JAVA(.9 guage). I want to try something else-maybe Ernie balls?? Which ones do you use and would suggest? What im looking for are strings which are neithr too 'twangy' nor too muddy...oh and also ones which wont rust soon in the humid bbay climate..my Fenders gave away in 2 months.but the daddarios are goin on since last, hold your breath, one year! Anyways, comments and suggestion..

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Something plated probably. Is the AV6 set up to handle 9s? You might have to file the nut for that. My Idol is set up with 8s, I still have to find out whether or not I need to file the nut.

3. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

^^The fenders were nickel coated :(
    The AV6 comes from factory with the 9s..Can you educate me a bit on "You might have to file the nut for that" ??

4. thehundredthone

Well the nut on your guitar (the thing between the fretboard and headstock) is what runs your strings down the neck. The channels on the nut are of a certain thickness, just enough to hold strings of a particular gauge. Trying to fit a larger gauge into a smaller channel will stifle the strings, and conversely trying to run a smaller gauge through a larger channel will lead to slipping. The latter is only significant when the gauges are very different. But when stepping up gauges you most probably need to file the nut.

5. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Get the Ernie Ball strings. They last longer and don't rust as much as the Daddario ones. Granted they may be costly but they are the best.

6. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

The Ernie balls have interesting names but cant figure out their guage..i was thinkin of ordering thru bajaao but ther is no guage specification..i am looking for extra light ones...9s or even 8s..

7. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

There is a thing called "Fast Fret" on Bajaao..Its a kind of string polish to prevent them from rusting..thinking of getting it.

Oh, and by the way is BAJAOO MUMBAI OFFICE OPEN ON SUNDAYS!!! I got a mail from them to collect my AV6, but i wonder if the office will be open..Kalyan to Andheri takes 2 hrs..so dnt want to end up being frustratd if its closed.

8. thehundredthone

Go tomorrow just to be safe, you can probably survive knowing that your guitar is there but you can't have it. :p:

9. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

I couldn't have survived!! Thts why I digged out Ashus no. from IGT ,tried calling, but it was unreachable..so left a msg..and he called back after an hour to tell me that yes,indeed, THE OFFICE IS OPEN ON SUNDAYS!! I HAVE THE GUITAR WITH ME GUYS!!...and I am soooo very happy with this instrument..its abso-fu$kin-lutely immmaaacuulaaate!!..and it kicks MAJOR ass! I've already burned down the batteries of my G2 playing it for 4 hrs non-stop since i got it home :) Somehow i was playing waay better than i did on my Java...and i am loving every single moment of it!!! Will do a small review shortly..
    Oh, and did i say Thank you to you guys! :)

10. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Congrats. Will be going to bajaoo some time to check out some guitars soon then.

11. allen sebastian

allen sebastian reverbnation.com/nissi

hey sandeep

you bought A6?? hey how's it man? how much u paid? me also dropped plan of epiphone LP100 after you tole me on that day and asked my friend in US about A6, can i get it in India?

12. Ali Akber

Ali Akber New Member

^^^
    m not frm india but i know u can get it frm bajaao..

13. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

Btw, I was just wondering, why is it that people swear by the Greg Bennet Avion AV6?

14. thehundredthone

One person recommended it to another. That person picked it up and liked it. Now they recommend it to anyone else looking for a cheap LP like guitar.

15. ultrabot90

Hmm...reminds me of alpha1's sig.
    Democracy - Propagating the idiocy of the masses.

16. caprico4

caprico4 New Member

in response to the topic...

try uring dean marlkeys.. i use them n i love them,.

and one piece of advice... try not to change the gauge of strings too much..
    it affects the guitar if the intonation isnt set up after changing the gauge..

i tell this from personal experience. i use to use java .08s on my calcutta made guitar and i changed to d'addario .09s... the notes just dont sound as well over the fretboard... i had to adjust the action, and intonation..

but i think in the week that i didnt set it up my guitars neck has warped a bit.

17. sandeep_

sandeep_ New Member

If a product is being praised by its real owners and passed on to others, then i guess it holds more credibility and honesty than the tall claims and hype created around the prduct by the marketting guys of a guitar co.

18. ultrabot90

^That's got a point. But sometimes 0wners just pretend, ye know. If they are recommending a product, then they pretend for social reasons, and if for selling...then for their own profit xD
    Edit - Just look at the way Life_Sans_Death markets his stuff XD