suggest some good models for acoustic guitars ? (less than $200).

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by n00b, Mar 23, 2005.

1. n00b

n00b New Member

Hi all,

I'm glad I stumbled upon this forum at just the right time ! I am planning to learn the guitar in the near future and had a few questions.

Can anybody suggest some good models for acoustic guitars ? (less than $200). I looked around online and Washburn D10s, Fender DG-10/11 seem to be good for beginners. Anybody has any thoughts on these (and any other) models ? And is it advisable to buy online ? (especially if you've never held one before)

Also, can one learn to play without a teacher ? or is _crucial_ to get some guidance initially ?

I'd appreciate if someone could put me on the right track !

Thanks,
    n00b.

2. Liquid

Liquid New Member

man...im not a pro about guitars so i cant answr the first part..

but as for the second part....and this is just my advice......first learnt the basics by urself....dont worry...we at IGT can help at that....man the ppl here are amazing lol....( no im not one of them...more like an admirer :p )....so dont worry...ull definitely get ur initial guidance here...and besides that...theres hundreds of sites that can help as well.....so dont go for the guitar teacher now...maybe for some higher learning...but not for now...

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

noob - try getting ur self a good fender or a gibson acoustic for a start !!!

learning from a teacher is always preferable as you would learn not only guitar but music as an whole !!

where are you based ??

its better to buy from a shop , personally i dont feel that online buyin is a better idea , still ur choice ...

cheers and rock on :rockon:

4. ok ns i dont know too much abt makes n guitar i have got one as a gift

hm well for learning part we can help u
    n i suggest u to download guitar pro4 n u can go through www.mysongbook.com to get the chords n tabs of some engl songs n learn how to play them easily(of course get ur guitar first)!!!!!!! n also browse through igt n all those good articles by pros like denis n baandbaaja...........

5. nehemiah

nehemiah New Member

the title under my name reads NEWBIE so dont expect aspirin advices from me, however if you are looking for an acoustic, i suggest go for a second hand one that is at least 5 to 6 years old, however i must add that the guitar must be in good condition, a sratch here or there doesn't matter. old wood gives excellent overtones, whom u buy ur guitar from matters a lot so put in much thought before you buy your first guitar.
    as for a teacher, it can get pretty frustatin learning alone but like shahruhk here says, if you got what it takes by which i mean determination and such, you will outmaster many.........good luck to you

6. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@bob....i doubt he will get a "fender or gibson acoutsic" for under $200...but u never knw

7. bob-bobby

well i dont really whats the current prices goin on as of now , maybe someone can check and advise the current prices for a basic acoutic guitar in india.

$200 is approx INR 8,800.00 - i think he shd get a decent acoustic guitar , isnt it !!!

tansen from india is not at all bad ... can try that !

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

hey u might get a fender accoustic for under $200
    the cheapest gibson accoustic (at musciansfriend) $1399
    i wudnt agree too much about old guitars....old wood sounds good...but tends to have a rounder warmer tone....and it depends whether u want that tone.....
    i personally like crispier sharper....tones.....which just ring thru......plus old wood might have cracks here and there...and there is always a chance of warping....
    in india among the goodones....under $200 is granada...excellent guitars

9. bob-bobby

havent heard of granada before ,... !!!

10. n00b

n00b New Member

Hey thanks everyone !

/me based in NYC ... and I guess I'll start by myself and give it a shot ... I hope I can get some valuable advice from people here ..

I actually checked out the following acoustics online :

https://www.samedaymusic.com/product--WASD10S
    https://www.samedaymusic.com/product--FEN0951200021
    https://www.samedaymusic.com/product--FEN951100

and read the reviews etc.. if one doesn't know how to play, shouldn't buying online be equivalent to buying at a store ? .. what would be the difference ?

11. n00b

n00b New Member

I actually had another question ... what's the difference between a solid spruce top and solid nato back etc differ from a one whose top/sides are laminated ? does it sound a lot different ? .. which one should one go for ?

12. bob-bobby

personally i liked the Fender GC12 Grand Concert Spruce Top (Natural) ( 2nd link of urs )

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

n00b give me your details via PM and i'll get in touch with my cousin. he teaches guitar out there.

i personally would highly recommend a tutor. i've learnt myself and although its fun it can become a waste of time if you don't know what your doing, having someone show you stuff is much much quicker.

As for the acoustics you can get any good acoustic guitar, if your in NYC then get it brand new. Second hand guitars should only be bought once you know a thing or two about a guitar and never as a newbie.

And head down to Guitar Centre (MusiciansFriend.com) while your there. You need to play the instruments before deciding what to buy. Whatever you pick has to be something your comfortable playing.

14. n00b

n00b New Member

Thanks a lot people !

15. bob-bobby

ur welcome n00b , anytime - i think rabi has a point there !!!