strumming blues

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by baldeep, Jan 10, 2006.

1. baldeep

baldeep New Member

hi guyz,
    i am having problem in strumming with the plectrum. i can strum quite well without it. that's y i have grown nails on my right hand!!!
    i know it has something to do with the way i hold the plectrum.....i cannot figure out how tightly or softly to hold the plectrum.
    i kno is a stupid prob to have but........plz help

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's a matter of judgement and experience and comes with practice.....learning the hard way can help. Its happened with me that i'm playing for people and the plectrum slips out.

3. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

well..if u are just starting out..i would suggest u to use thinner picks for strumming.
    basically try to play simple time signatures at first..then move on to tougher and complex rythms slowly then increase the tempo once uare comfotable.
    buy a metronome if u dont have one..and use it to the max.
    all the best.

and also one advice i would give is..try and use ur wrists more than the whole arm.

vini likes this.
  4. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Make sure you are holding the pick correctly. Generally players hold picks between the thumb and the index finger. Ensure that only the tip of the pick sticks out (ideally 2mm or less). That will prevent the pick from 'flapping'. Also try and make sure that your thumb joint is as flat as possible i.e. you are not bending your thumb outwards. Any tension in your picking hand reflects in your playing.

As for your question on how tightly to hold the pick: You should hold the pick just tight enough that it doesn't slip out of your hand.

5. baldeep

baldeep New Member

thanx all u guyz for your advice.....i have already started and im sure in a few days i'll get it right. thanx a lot. :)

6. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

when i strum with the pick ... the sound includes more of like muted strings ...and harsh resonated sounds
    when i hold the pick away to just touch the strings.. i miss some some strings

7. zing

zing Machine Head

guitarz like a woman - initially u feel bit awkward holding her but after some time u get used to each other - so giv it time :)

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

*hides face under a pillow*

9. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

^^wtf????????????

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

ahaaa!
    Now I get it why I got butterflies in my belly and my knees went weak, when I first held the guitar.

11. baldeep

baldeep New Member

hey zing nice thot man, u always have to strike the right chords with both of thm to make them work for u!!!!
    anyway, i bought jal's album today and i just cant stop listenin to it........these guyz are amazin. they have created magic with their guitars.......really inspiring