Strings? Which ones do I get?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

Hi guys,
    I have been using D'Addario 9 gauge strings for like last 6 months (changed them 4 times) on my Ibanez GRG170DX. But recently I started playing death metal and the problem with the 9 gauge strings is, when I drop the tuning, they feel too loose and the lower E string causes too much buzzing. Also, i need some heavier sounding strings. So will getting a 10 gauge string set work? Also, is there any string set in which the lower strings are heavy and upper strings are light? Like mixed gauges.

I was planning to use the lower 3 strings from the 10 gauge set and upper strings from the 9 gauge set. But these people say they don't sell individual strings.

What can I do?

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

They don't sell individual strings. How low are you dropping? 10's might hold up to about a C I guess. There might be some mixed gauge sets but I don't know of any off the top of my head. If not then you'll probably have to buy a set of 10's and 9's, then mix and match.

3. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

usually i drop to D and some times C. and buying 10s and 9s is not an option for me coz i will be just wasting 1 full set :p

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I use 10s and don't really have a problem on the higher strings. Of course I don't play death metal :p:

5. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

well i don't play just death metal. mainly i play metallica and GNR. slash does too much bends in the solos. so for some reason i thought i will not be able to do the bends with 10 gauge top strings. so thought of putting 9 gauge strings as top and 10 or 11 gauge strings as bottom. but separate strings are not available.

can i do bends properly in standard tuning with 10 gauge strings? also, will the thicker strings affect speed? have no idea about thick strings. first i used 8 gauge strings. those were crappy and thin toned. i broke 2 of them purposely so that i can get 9 gauge. :p and used 9 gauge from then.

so which ones do i get? 10 or 11?