Stratocaster query

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhijitnath, Feb 21, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

If you set up the tremolo to float up as well as down as it is on a Floyd Rose, will your double stops be in tune?

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

What could go wrong. There are some great players like Trey Anastasio, Vivian Campbell, Kirk Hammett, Neil Schon have Floyd Rose floating bridge in their guitars and do a lot of Double Stops in their playing. Especially Kirk Hammett does a lot of amazing double stops.

3. abhijitnath

I meant double stops with one string bent and one string unbent..on a Floyd there is no way you can get that in tune. Is it the same with a floating Strat trem?

4. ronnieanand

I got what you are saying. The most famous and the most popular double stop thing. I remember doing it in an Ibanez RG470 and as you said it does sound a bit off bcos of the Bridges floating nature. But considering really Blues influenced rockers like Kirk Hammett and Vivian Campbell I am sure they do such stuffs with their guitar. Maybe the original Floyd Rose holds the tune well. And from Ed Roman's site, he says that Original Floyd Rose bridges are way better than the Licesed thingies. And the Fender's Floating Bridge is Wilkinson I guess. Again if you go for the Original Wilkinson Bridge, things might be better.

Whatever T-O-M Rulez....

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I'd prefer a Wilkinson on a strat . Even Jeff Beck uses it on his strat.

6. abhijitnath

@Ronnie: I don't think the double stop going out of tune is because of the quality or otherwise of the bridge. It's simply because when you bend a string, the bridge also moves with the strings in the case of a Floyd. Normally you wouldn't notice it, but when you're playing another note against it it becomes noticeable. It doesnt happen in a standard Fender trem because its blocked against upward movement.
    Anyways thanks for the reply.

7. ronnieanand

Sorry dude. I am too ignorant about these things. Hope some good players answer your queries.

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

wait, so you are talking about chaning the cavity such that the trmolo system will move both up and down? hm... the brdige on fenders doesnt hold tune very well ith whammy use in the first place simply because there isnt much of an absorption system in terms of springs. there is also a good cahnce that the string will break if you use a tremolo system for this purpose. i do not reccomend it. even if you do it, make sure that the caivty is small enough to restrict the system to pulling only slightly.

or wait - this doesnt look like what you are talking about from the discussion.

let me know if that was what you were taking about.

9. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I think it stays in tune

On my guitar, the tremolo bridge stayed down on the body (you could only push the arm down to loosen the strings) for a long time after buying. Howver, about 4 months back, it lifted up a little (don't know why, maybe the springs got weak or something). I did not bother much as the action was still alright, and kept playing like that, and I also experimented with using the tremolo both ways (pull very careful and light). In my opinion, the double stops were not out of tune. You'll have to take a look yourself as I did not really look very minutely at that, but it sounded alright to me. I'm sorry I can't go back and help you with it as I fitted an extra spring and brought down the bridge. But as fr as I remember, it sounded alright. Do let me know if you find otherwise.

10. abhijitnath

Thanks both of you. Quite helpful:)
    @deathdr-Lots of people do this mod-Jeff Beck for example. TheFender tremolo was actually designed to float..its only later that they put the block in because of tuning instability. And yeah, I'm not planning to play Steve Vai on it...subtle chord vibratos and Carnatic flutters, that's it.

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

I know its in Jeff Becks and in fact I remember him saying that he did not have any tuning problems in spite of using it both ways. Yet I am also aware of many people getting incredibly annoyed because of tuning problems associated with the same system. just putting it out there.

12. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Abhijit, it works. My strat copy is set up to move both ways and if I'm careful the tuning stays.
    Again, you've hit the nail right on the head. You can't do a Steve Vai, but lil vibratos sound nice. Also, if your bridge is extra sensitive, you could try keeping the side of your hand on the bridge when you are doing the double stop thingy to prevent it from moving upward as the string bends.
    The trick, as I'm sure you know, is being careful with your baby.
    Hope it helps.:beer:

13. abhijitnath

Yup. Thanks everyone:beer:

14. ronnieanand

@Abhijitnath.... You know T-O-M rulezzz. So why take pains on fitting a trem. Make Strat with a T-O-M. I have made one spec for my future custom strat. If you are interested, I will forward that to you.

15. ustdjohnny

ustdjohnny New Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is T-O-M? tune o matic? and, how do you get that onto a strat?

16. ronnieanand

Yes. Tune-O-Matic. It's just a bridge and we are talking of a customized Strat right, so anything can be done to suit you.

@Abhijit. By the way, look at Carvin's website and they sell necks for Bolt-On as well as Through Body types. Hard Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard and I dont need to tell you about the Carvin's quality and the price is really reasonable infact I'd say it's cheap. But they only have a 24 fret neck. I have asked for a 22 fret neck with no inlays. Waiting for their reply.

17. abhijitnath

Have been pondering over Carvin for a while now, for the simple reason that they make lefty guitars for no extra charge:). Speced out the California Carved Top,727 and 127...for the sepcs I wanted, I can get a Godin LGX-SA:beer: . Am now trying to find out whether its cheaper to buy that in Singapore or Canada.
    Edit: For a primary humbucking guitar, I am definitely looking for a T-O-M equipped guitar like the Godin I mentioned. It was just a query for future use because I do a lot of vibrato on chords these days...wondering if it makes sense to get a Strat copy with single coils made any time. Lets see how it works out..right now completely focused on the Godin though.
    This one for those who're interested..https://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgxsap.htm

18. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

can plz annyone gimmi any link on how to turn a righty floyd rose into a lefty one?? or link of left handed trems??:(

19. abhijitnath

If you have an Ibanez trem, it comes with holes on both sides..you need to drill on the other side and it'll work fine..theres a tutorial on project guitar. For left handed trems, google 'left handed tremolo':)