strange questions.

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by kaiser, Apr 7, 2006.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

@shaq i believe red and green is more common...and yes they can difernetiate between pure red and pure green..
    i know i can, and i am color blind
    theres a type which cant diff between red and blue too i guess....but that is rare as red and blue are really far apart on the spectrumm
    i always wonder, if by transplanting cones and rods on the reting, would it be possible to cure color blindess

2. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

^ can u even imagine doin somethin like that?? like replacing every goddam cell with another?? pheww.....
    and that wont help the problem still will it?? cuz maybe rods percieve the intensity ..and cones the 'character' of the light ( or the opposite .i dont know)???

3. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

and btw ...isnt there another way of time travelling???
    like u can travel through space warps...( time is a dimension as well and hence u can chalk out pathways through it...) ..how ur gonna find one is another question though lolz...

and yes dennis is right...smell is just chemicals interacting with ur nasal membranes ( or whatever...i dont know ne biology) ..giving out signals our mind percieves as the different ...'smells.'...

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Lol, thats exactly what I said. Energy balance is never at a point of time. Its at t1 to say t2. Usually t2> t1, but hell, it sure aint here!!

5. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

well..thats what it means doesnt it??...if it were v=c ..mass becomes infinity...and stephen hawkins says...now who the hell can drive this big a lump???

as per ur anti matter....since ur matter is constant and is not time constrained...why should ur anti matter pose ne problems then??

6. shak

shak Harrr!

^ as for the v=c problem .. yes i agree .. for now the equations only hold good for v<=c .. what if v>c? how can one go about doin maths for that?

and as for teh ati-matter prob .. well the statement "mass knows no time constrains" is a little assumptious in itself .. but yeah if matter is free of time constrains then ofcourse anti-matter should logically be free of time constrains as well ..
    but the problem is not that . .the problem is that anti-matter exist only when matter exists ... now when we start our travel and go back in the past .. our matter stops to exist in the present .. however .. somehow according to our previous statement .. the balance of energy is not disturbed .. because matter knows no time boundries .. BUT the anti-matter -though it doesnt know the time boundries- still is left behind in the present! while the matter has gone into past .. this is the problem .. how do you take your anti-matter in the past with you ... if you dont then how can you exist in the past without your anti-matter? cuz as they say ... matter cant exist without anti-matter right? ... thats the problem ..
    well an argument can be that since every bit of matter exists at all times in the universe in from of energy (our grand assumption yet again haha) then perhaps. . the abscense of anti-matter can be compromised by the energy! cuz the anti-matter exists in form of energy no matter in which era you are! so it isnt necessary to take your anti-matter with you ... you can always find its substitute in the form of energy that exists throught the life of universe ....

eeeeekkkk why am i taking this all to seriosuly?!

7. walk_alone

walk_alone **~~| An Atheist |~~**

Indeed a nice thread to rack your brains......
    we all know why "AMBULANCE" is written in inverted manner....then imagine wen we see ouselves in mirror we see a slighly diff face than wat other see.

and also i read somewhere that same objects might appear diff to diff humans.
    similarly even brain interprets sounds in diff manner in every individual.

8. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

my two cents..

according to Quantum Mechanics, photons follow the path of least time. according to Einstein the speed of the gravity and the speed of the light is the same (https://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3232)

now inside a black hole, time stops as u approach the event horizon....further away from the event horizon the escape velocity is greater then the speed of light and hence light cannot escape. the immense gravity at the center of the black hole bends the photons hence bends light.

if the momentum of the earth stops then it wud take the least time taking path (i.e. a straight line) and plunge into the sun (an interesting observation at the end of this post)
    now, there is a possibility that the photons from a magnet
    follow the magnetic lines of force because it is their path of least time.
    if that is the case then the magnet (same as light) should slow down time by accelerating photons.

regarding the earth plunging into the sun thing---if the sun suddenly dissapears, then the fact that the speed of the light and gravity is same implies that it should take around 8.3 minutes (the time light takes to travel from sun to earth) before it takes the plunge.
    but there are hypothetical theories there are extra spatial dimensions which allow the gravity to travel much faster than the speed of light. it sort of takes a short cut through these dimensions and does not violate the general theory of relativity

9. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

I'll post the source link for the above theory when I can find it...

10. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

theoretically sound could be used as as fuel
    sound can push objects,,,,,so i guess VERY high frequency wavws could be used to demolish structures then by using dynamite>:think:

11. shak

shak Harrr!

@wizzy: i understood all of your post except

"follow the magnetic lines of force because it is their path of least time.
    if that is the case then the magnet (same as light) should slow down time by accelerating photons."

accelerate photons? you mean accelerate them to a velocity v>c ?? :|
    no to be honest i dont get it .. will read it again when i am a bit sober ;) but it is interesting!!! do give us the reference ..

@ujsen: umm somehow it doesnt seem a good idea to me .. .you see .. sound propogates in all directions .. you cant focus sound at a particular point and unleash the wrath to demolish the building .. if you let it lose at some building .. it will demolish that building AND the buildings around it .. so unless you can control the energy, you shouldnt really mess with it ;)
    yes ... i remember i saw once on cnn .. some witty guy had invented directional speakers. .. that might be the answer ..

12. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

glad u got it..

I'll try to explain that here.

Ligt consists of photons, so a light beam from a source can be defined as emission of photons and their acceleration from zero to c.

I am still searching for the reference....just read it a couple of weeks back and cannot find it.

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

okie got it
    https://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/3075/mfield.html

read it fully...mine was the interpretation of the last part which is related to slowing down time.

also if anyone is interested in eading about P.E.A.R. (Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research)

Scientific Study of Consciousness-Related Physical Phenomena

go here https://www.princeton.edu/~pear/

an excerpt

14. vini

vini Repeat Offender

@ shak and cryptic

you dont know..the inside story..so lets just chuck it!!
    ps-dont reply to this post else this "better" thread will go off-topic! :)

15. kaiser

kaiser Bored

whoa .........im lost.......alice in wonderland......

hey btw, when i hear talk bt time travel, it reminds me of day of the tentacle 2. the story still cracks me up, n its the farthest i ever got to know bt time travel.

btw, coming back to sound....opera singers can be so shrill they can crack glass. now aint that splendid energy? imagine you use a chorus of trained opera singers to demolish a building? (now finaly they got something 'constructive' to do.)

and hey, i read somewhere that when we talk, the sound produced by our vocal chords is so shrill/loud, that it can burst our eardrums but its the throat that dampens the sound so that we dont go deaf. and that opera singers are trained somehow just to avoid the sound from dampening by controlling their throats....and singing they irritating the wway they do......how true is that? and if its true, how is it that our vocal chords are so powerful(do we got great built-in pre-amps?....hehe). what if the the limiting/compressin effect of our throats, can be bypassed n we could all sing like brian johnson?

scary question: what if himess sings like that? he could cut power shortage in india.

@shak: why do u say a recording isnt a stored sound?

16. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

it has more to do with resonance

to demolish a building u'll probably need lungs of steel

17. kaiser

kaiser Bored

resonance

well......so resonance can be used......n it need be one person tryn to bring the house down (pun intended)....a whole lotta people.....or their recordings.

18. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I Agree!! And to add.. Sound isn't exactly a source of any energy, it is a by-product of transfer of energy. It is not any form of matter. Its unclassified, a wave in its best definition.

And its not like we have not been able to convert sound into energy at all. For example.. In our very own electric guitars, sound produced by the resonance of strings is coverted to electrical signals (signals are a form of energy) and these signals are eventually picked up by the Pickups and fed into the amp. But.. BUT..but.. this sound depends upon another source (the resonance/vibration of strings) so sound is not an independant source. So to create energy out of sound we have to figure out a way of getting "naturally abundant sound" as Shak said.... which is highly unlikely as it doesnt exist in natural state (at least mankind hasn't found any).

This matter is a highly debateable one though, but nonetheless an excellent thread in the end.

19. kaiser

kaiser Bored

see, it doesnt matter if sound is dependant or not. it doesnt matter if its a byproduct or not. byproducts run the world man. if sound can be used i think it shud be.

i think we have enuf of it. we have people who're goin nuts cuz of noise pollution. if all noise cud be channelised, amlified, stored (recorded) and used keeping the resonance thing in mind, it could kick ass. okay so we have to prevent people from going deaf when ure using loud stuff to, say, crack a wall...but that can be arranged, plus one can think of other uses other than razing a building.

hey could we shoot ultrasonic or infrasonic waves at a windowpane, n break it? that way we wont hear the sound and get the job done....? whoa....im getting sillier as i type.

@shak, if, as u say that at the most we can make wave compress and what was that, depress(?) real hard, can we use it the move objects? can we use sound to set thigns in motion? if we multipy the magnitude of the bass booming outta woofer in the car, can we move the car? or if car's to heavy, anything light? say the doors, the glove box lid (i mean, manually is easiier, duh, but this is hypothetical yeah?)

20. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

Of course can be done... now that you say it I was wondering if anyone ever tried such experiments in the MIT's or NASA's OR CERN's!! I mean it's wierd but someone shud try it, maybe it would give rise to some other idea!!!