Stomping the AMP

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by yazi, Apr 24, 2007.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^^Why tallkien to yazi????

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

3. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Good Work man...i'll probably eventually get an amp off you too. I almost went and bought the High Octane kit from them but decided against it becoz of the customs issues...I just loved how that amp sounded..

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hanging around in the Gear forum with all this DIY talk has gotten me all excited. I am going for it. First up - some booteek DIY pedals:cool:... and maybe then I'll try a certain 18 watt legendary British t00b amp. Big dreams, lets see where I end up:eek::

5. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Ha HA...everyone seems to be catching that bug. Atleast i'm starting small (VERY small) with a cheap ass pedal board..

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Heheh...I was never into building stuff...but it is high time I fixed that. Even I will start with simple circuits.

7. yazi

yazi Banned

Cuz I ain't a casual person. I get something, that I like, I make sure it will be remembered.

Thats just a joke. I will auction it as Talkeins first amp when he gets famous and earn a few bucks.

8. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Excellent choice. Alot of big marshall users use this in the studio, which is why its so legendary. You've heard it and don't even know about it... And that's the right way to go about it. Pedals first and when you're confident enough go for the amp. Who knows, Maybe someday we'll have our own ampfests here and show off our little creations.

Anyway I'm building an 18 watt lite in Bangalore while I'm there so maybe you guys can come and check it out when its done. I'll need a speaker donor though (Just to borrow). This first one will most probably be auctioned and will remain in Bangalore (if I like it in the first place), Thanks for the idea Yazi, Anyway there's a lot of bangy's on this forum so it's only fair you get to test drive one of these and discuss your own opinions be they good or bad. If there's enough interest I might talk to Sammisound for some pretty cool cheap speakers. That would be the next logical step. No point having a tube amp and car speakers to go with it.

PS: THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS PROPOSITION AS MUCH AS IT IS A COMMUNITY TONEQUEST INITIATIVE!!! I use Linux at home and work and am a supporter of the Open Source community. Making these amps available relatively cheaply is on similar lines. I hope you can appreciate why I cannot hand these out for free. But you should know these designs are freely available and anyone feeling a little spunky can learn to build one of them in a short span of time (In fact, most of these designs are open community projects designed on forums like this). I will tell you it is Hard Work and Very Dangerous so if you have doubts, call me. I've tasted 230V recently and am quite lucky to still be here. Also the blisters on my hand from turning screwdrivers will testify to how much work this is, and oh yeah those pesky filings-worst of all.

Yazi, a P1 Extreme will cost you 8k, but if you're really interested I'm willing to ship you my own Octane for 10k. This is no longer 5watts, its more like 10 and features a higher gain preamp and an EL84/EL34 tube. Very Marshall sounding and LOUD, Too Loud for my modest house. Otherwise you'll need to wait till I get back from Bangalore. But either way, you'll still get that first customer discount :) and I'll gladly write anything on it, I'll sign all anyway (inside). You can have any faceplate you like, Heck put your own name there if you want. Make it your own

cheers,

9. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

^ I'm a Linux user and Open Source supporter too.

The Epi Jr. is around 10-11 kgs. Shipping it from the UK costs slightly more than what the amp is worth, and this doesn't include customs.

You're gonna have to help me out with some stuff. Where do i get started making it?

10. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Word in the "Informed World" is that the Jr is pretty crappy sounding off the shelf. There's a 5300+ post thread going on at 18watt.com on mods for the Jr to make it likeable.

11. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

Dude, I've heard a lot of stock clips, and it sounded ok to me. Anyways, my buddy in london is gonna go check it out tomorrow. And if we can't get around the shipping issue, I think i'll buy an amp from you.

Your Hi-Octane seems pretty good, and I would love to take off you, if it fits in my budget. Or I'll have to wait a month or two and extend my budget.

12. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

I can't really comment further, I've never played one. But these amps I'm building are made by some truly smart ampgurus who clearly know what they're doing. Actually a stock P1 is similar in design to a Jr, atleast same tubes so they might sound similar. the P1Extreme is another kind of animal altogether.

The Jr is cheap though, and I hear in more ways than one, but Hey! India's going All Tube right here at IGT :) so stick around, or can you not see the forest for the trees...

13. Nouman011

Nouman011 New Member

EDIT... Reading up on it.

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Ive got a friend in Manchester who has one. He really likes it. hes a blues-metal player lol. If u want i could get soundclips out of him. We have this online band together. It will take a while for the clips though. He doesnt have a good mic.

15. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

and damn you tallkien! first customer discount! thats bullshit! i wanted the discount for when i bought one! lol

16. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

you'll get a different kind of discount :)

17. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

:) Ty! But it wont be anytime soon. Cus im totally happy with my Laney....

18. yazi

yazi Banned

Looks like mine won't be any time soon.

But Talkein Do I still get:

(First imaginary customer+Special+IGT+India+Asia+Earth) Discounts?

19. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Actually I need a volunteer to host that 18W build. I don't have a guitar or speaker at home in bangalore so I'll need somebody to keep it with them and demo it, Any takers?

20. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Gee, I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother at all :(